PDA

View Full Version : why do we get sounds with aftermarket springs?

siver-SI
07-29-2003, 08:08 PM
I was thinking of this while I was driving home and thinking that I need to stop at NAPA to get some suspention grease for my install so I do not get any sounds after I do my drop. Then I got to thinking why do after market springs make sounds with out any grease added to the bushings, but the OEM ones all they need is a rubber bushing and no grease added and they make no sounds. I am just wondering about this?

02SilverSiHB
07-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
I was thinking of this while I was driving home and thinking that I need to stop at NAPA to get some suspention grease for my install so I do not get any sounds after I do my drop. Then I got to thinking why do after market springs make sounds with out any grease added to the bushings, but the OEM ones all they need is a rubber bushing and no grease added and they make no sounds. I am just wondering about this?

good question. It's a monthly ritual for me to spray white lithium in the front upper part of the suspension to avoid hearing that damn sound while turning the wheel. Although I have sleeves and not just springs, so that may make it worse.

ephatchback
07-30-2003, 11:29 AM
I installed coilovers on my car about 3 months ago and I've never heard anything. I did lube the top and bottom of the spring, but not since I installed them.

02SilverSiHB
07-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by ephatchback
I installed coilovers on my car about 3 months ago and I've never heard anything. I did lube the top and bottom of the spring, but not since I installed them.
I was like you for a while, then all of a sudden I get some slight creaking sounds when I turn. Nothing major, but I notice it.

02TafWhtSi
07-30-2003, 03:47 PM
I believe its mostly because aftermarket springs are shorter in length than the OEM springs so they never fit snug. The movement within the shock can cause rubbing noises (metal on metal) and occasional pops or bangs. Its simply b/c the new springs don't fit as well as the OEM ones.

siver-SI
07-30-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
I believe its mostly because aftermarket springs are shorter in length than the OEM springs so they never fit snug. The movement within the shock can cause rubbing noises (metal on metal) and occasional pops or bangs. Its simply b/c the new springs don't fit as well as the OEM ones.

I wondering would new shocks solve this probelem then if they are adjustable? I wonder if new rubber at the top and bottom of the springs would help too since the old ones are shaped the old springs,

myeverlovinsir
07-30-2003, 05:44 PM
I have never heard a peep from the eibach prokits. They went in
clean and have never required a lube up for any reason. Think
that they are the closest to stock in the fitament department out
there. The nice thing is the drop is sweet (near 2" all around) and
they ride very much like stock. The showa stock shocks will last
too! One happy camper, sorry about the regular maint. on the
other brands.:(

02TafWhtSi
07-30-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
I have never heard a peep from the eibach prokits. They went in
clean and have never required a lube up for any reason. Think
that they are the closest to stock in the fitament department out
there. The nice thing is the drop is sweet (near 2" all around) and
they ride very much like stock. The showa stock shocks will last
too! One happy camper, sorry about the regular maint. on the
other brands.:(

Eibach Pro-Kits are a 1" drop. I do agree with you that they are a very good fit - no complaints from me with just about a year and 7 K miles on them. No weird noises or anything :). My OEM shocks are wearing though - the ride has gotten significantly bouncier over the last month which is why I'm upgrading with the Mugen kit.

chet
07-30-2003, 07:06 PM
I had Progress springs on my EP for about 10 months. I never heard any noise while driving, turning the wheel, over any bumps I was unable to avoid,. . . . . .Only time I heard any noise was after I parked the car and my 270 pound frame exited the car. I did however get a lot of creaking after the SPC camber kits were installed. The Progress springs are no longer on the car due to KW's full coilovers being installed yesterday:p :D :cool: and so far, no noise from the KW's.

The camber creak . . .I just live with it.

chunky
07-30-2003, 08:13 PM
the bushings come greased from the factory. You only have to re-grease them when you take them apart.

I greased mine when I installed them, not a peep out of them.

I went with the h&r sport springs. They came with some sort of tubing on the lower coils to prevent noise from contact between the coils. very pleased with the product.

dchu
07-30-2003, 09:08 PM
H&R sports here too and not a peep. I think a lot of cases of creaks coming from the springs while turning is because of installation error. It happened to me, I didn't line up the strut and strut hat exactly right. I redid them exactly to spec and it has been stock quiet since.

EP33
07-30-2003, 09:35 PM
When I first did my H&R's had noise. . .as DCHU said I realinged them and they've been quiet since. Installed Teins and still no grease.