PDA

View Full Version : bad decision?

the JigGa mAn
07-30-2003, 11:12 PM
im just about at my 3000 mile mark...and in the amount of time ive spent on this board ive read alot of problems that ppl have been having..and i started to wonder did we make a bad decision in buying the EP3? ppl seem to be having that 2nd gear clunk/grind/what ever you wanna call it...along with some other things wrong...and i just have to ask was buying this car a wise thing to do? i know that honda in the past has been very very good..but it seems that the EP3 is having alot of problems...

thats my vent

ULTRAMANIA
07-30-2003, 11:45 PM
what do you think? basically it all comes down to how happy you are with your purchase... if you ask me.. it was the best new car for its price and i love it, despite some techincal diffculties..

iR-VTEC2
07-30-2003, 11:54 PM
uhm....many cars have that same 2nd to 3rd "crunch".

Cars are not made to be constantly driven hard. I took my EP3 in. They fixed the gate ( it was NOT syncros ) and now im just gonna remember to push up. push to the side push up again instead of just push up in an angle. no more fucking up the gate

the JigGa mAn
07-30-2003, 11:59 PM
im pretty happy with the EP...but when i read all the things ppl are having problems with it scares the shit outta me...i feel that is gonna happen to me next...

glw
07-31-2003, 12:17 AM
man, the problems that we are having with our ep's are small... i had a infiniti g35 sedan prior to this and the center console would just go blank and ac/heater would just blast... the car would just stall and not restart... the car would not accept gas when empty (click, click, click at the pump)... i loved it when it ran but it was over $30K and wasn't reliable (and it really consumed gas - probably due to my leadfoot). traded it in on the ep and got cash back on the deal. i'm more than happy with my honda!

StLouisSilverSI
07-31-2003, 04:30 AM
I really havent had any problems with my EP and it's got almost 6500 miles on it :)

2QK4U ALLWAYS
07-31-2003, 05:15 AM
It just seems the EP has lots of problems because that is all we concentrate on if we had other cars in here we would have the least amount of problems . It's just concentrated here that's all and it gives you a good idea what to look for and you can have it fixed faster if it goes at the dealer because you can pin point and they dont have to search for it .

r3p00c
07-31-2003, 05:34 AM
yeah, just keep in mind that the people who have complaints on here are a very small majority of the actual public who owns the car... by now, there are probably about 20-25,000 or more eps that have been manufactured since release. a handful of these with complaints is pretty good IMO.

cbecker333
07-31-2003, 05:42 AM
honda has the second-to-lowest percent of cars that need servicing in a year (I think thats what the statistic said) at 22% - the only company that came out lower was buick at 21%...but I don't think thats because they have fewer problems I think its because the senile buick drivers don't notice when shit breaks:p

SiR Medic
07-31-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by cbecker333
honda has the second-to-lowest percent of cars that need servicing in a year (I think thats what the statistic said) at 22% - the only company that came out lower was buick at 21%...but I don't think thats because they have fewer problems I think its because the senile buick drivers don't notice when shit breaks:p

:D Ha-hah!

EXACTLY.

Besides a very minor manufacterer defect (the connection for the door switch came loose) my car has been COMPLETELY DEPENDABLE.

There is just no comparing it to my old Pontiac Grand Prix, which had about 1 $400 problem per month. My old Mazda RX-7 would start about 50% of the time. My Ford Taurus (don't laugh:rolleyes: ) shedded trim peices like molting bird.

I think a lot of people are having "the grass is greener" syndrome. Bottom line: If YOU like the EP, KEEP IT!

LACH
07-31-2003, 06:39 AM
Mine has 3000 kilometres on it and even if there have been small isuues with the ep the car is so worth it! I love driving this car and its worth every penny go buy a focus and see what real problems are all about! :)

styllinep3
07-31-2003, 08:12 AM
i got 15500 on mine ..i have a couple minor probs.. that are seen on this board. clutch clicking. wd40 stopped that. noisey suspensions, but that my fault for lowering. , a loose ebrake. honda fixed that, and the 2cd gear grind which its going in for.

we have to remeber that this car the (02s even more so) were totally redesigned from a model they havent built since 94. with a totally new series engine. which i think they did a good job on.

the body and tranny just need some help .. which all these complaints we have. eventually honda will have be able to work out. if they continue. the car.

im happy with my ep. it always starts and never acts stupid.i remeber when the focus came out. half were lemons. and neons. i feel bad if you bought a 90s model or a new for that matter..

i mean its only a 17000 dollar car. i had a new model rs eclipse. it cost 19000 out the door, and only came with cd and power windows. didnt have shit .. some weak ass 4 cly that idle all fucked up . the power windows stopped working at 7500. plus the resale was horrible on the car. hondas are like # 1 or 2 in resale next to toyota.

sorry for the long rant . im layed off and very bored as you can see.

finally, hondas a good choice bottom line..

IceD out N CALI
07-31-2003, 08:46 AM
A few peoples ep's may have some minor problems here and there but nothing serious for most part. i've seen some relatively new cars have a lot more serious problems than a lil tranny grinding or what not. (ie. fuel pumps, new engines etc under 20k)
basically stuff that leaves you stranded

cbecker333
07-31-2003, 09:07 AM
New engines under 20k is actually frighteningly common - happened to both, a chevy van and a ford explorer that my parents owned

cbecker333
07-31-2003, 09:09 AM
also, I've NEVER gotten stranded in my Si, even when a valve stuck open and I was running on 3/4 cylinders. Didn't run too smooth, however....

ATRIOT
07-31-2003, 09:18 AM
Its just the nature of the internet and message forums that problems will be over-represented, i think overall the EP is a great car, and if you do have problems with yours just find a quality dealership and all will be taken care of.

cbecker333
07-31-2003, 09:32 AM
Very true, man, I've posted on my grinding tranny about a million times, those of us who do have problems expect more and will not rest until it is fixed. I'm still optimistic.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
07-31-2003, 09:35 AM
Go to ANY enthusiast forum and you will find the same thing.
EVERY car will have it's issues...
Especially a completely new model like the ep...
Everything on this Honda is new from the ground up...
EVERYTHING, engine, suspension, steering, etc...
I'm surprised there havent been more (serious) problems than we're seeing (it's a Honda!)...

I have ZERO complaints about the minor "problems" i've had, because they're not serious and were fixed under warranty w/o any inconvenience.

You want something to bitch about?
Go buy a Nissan and deal w/ their service dept' when something goes wrong (under warranty).
Stop bitching and enjoy your car.

My only problems have been:

(1) center air vents not blowing (replaced under warranty)
(2) stitch in seat came loose, probably caused by my 90 lb pitbull sitting on the front seat (replaced under warranty)

TrippZ
07-31-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by cbecker333

hahahaha

my EP has tons of problems, but I don't really care, I love you big bird!

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
07-31-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by TrippZ

hahahaha

my EP has tons of problems, but I don't really care, I love you big bird!

mine would have problems too if i was crashing it into curbs and shiet.

:D

cbecker333
07-31-2003, 10:54 AM
ahahahah I was gonna say something like, "Thats cuz you gave it problems" hehe damnquick beat me to it

rgGolf4
07-31-2003, 11:25 AM
The EP is VERY reliable. The issues involved here are so trivial. Just think VW recalled half a million cars because of faulty coilpacks...which would leave you stranded. Or windows that fell into the door, or MAFs that would blow up, or rear brakes that would dissolve in months. Considering the crap I put up with VW, this car is a godsend. Sorry, just had to rant.

Of course there will be bad apples, but the problems you speak of are not as common as you may think. The EP is solidly built. Aside from a clunky second shift, and the burning oil issue (which seems to resolve itself after a somewhat lengthy break-in) there isn't much to complain about. And everyone should still be under warranty, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Rich

andy
07-31-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by rgGolf4
The EP is VERY reliable. The issues involved here are so trivial. Just think VW recalled half a million cars because of faulty coilpacks...which would leave you stranded. Or windows that fell into the door, or MAFs that would blow up, or rear brakes that would dissolve in months. Considering the crap I put up with VW, this car is a godsend. Sorry, just had to rant.
Rich

FWIW, Nissan just recalled ALL 4-cylinder Sentras (SE, SE-R,
Spec-V) because of a serious problem with the exhaust. The
cat in the header (cat in the header? whouda thunk that would
be a problem) burns up and causes serious problems.

Go visit nasioc.com and listen to the people clamoring about
tranny problems and other issues on their WRXs. And I won't
even start about the STi and it's may/maybe not detonation and
pinging issues.

EDIT: Sorry, the quote made it confusing. That wasn't pointed
at you Rich...just wanted to use your quote as a preface to the
Nissan problem... ;)

Every car has problems. And those with active "followings" and
message boards will seem to have more. The squeeky wheel
gets the oil, ya know?

NBP_03Si
07-31-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
im pretty happy with the EP...but when i read all the things ppl are having problems with it scares the shit outta me...i feel that is gonna happen to me next... same here mine is very good so far and a Ep is better all the way than an EX. :D