Suk02Si
07-31-2003, 02:37 AM
RSX Type S springs rates:
Front: 3.6k [201.6lbs] Linear
Rear: 5.8k - 7.4k [324.8lbs - 414.4lbs] Progressive

Civic Si(EP3)
Front: 4.4k [248lbs] Linear
Rear: 7.8 [440] Linear

I installed the RSX springs on my car. The front is now lowered 1" and the rear is now raised 1/2".

I found the RSX spring rates on Honda-tech and couldn't belive it, RSX-S softer?:o Its true, after the install I went for a quick drive around the block and its very noticable. I think Acura did that so the ride would be much smoother and not harsh, which it is.

The front RSX springs are slightly shorter and have thinner coils(red dots mark the top of each spring).
http://suk02si.digitalgumball.com/images/ep_rsx.jpg

The rear RSX spring is the same length but has about two more coils than the Si spring.

I plan to keep the RSX front springs and use my old rear springs.

My set up:
Springs: Front 3.6k[201.6] Linear | Rear 7.8k[440lbs] Linear
Sways: Front 23mm(RSX) | Rear 19mm(RSX)
Ride Height: Front 1" lower | Rear stock
Camber: Front -1 | Rear -.5

I think this way the car will rotate much easier. 19mm rear sway is not as agressive as the CTR 22mm sway so I wont have problems with too much rotation.

In the future I plan to go with the Mugen rear sway (25mm) and progress front(27mm) or stock Si (25mm hollow).

I'm going to play with different setups but this seems to be pretty good for all OEM parts ;) This could be a great AutoX setup:D

Dunrick
07-31-2003, 08:12 AM
Very unique setup. Its weird, how the ride height of the ep3 almost wants to be higher. Mugen might have found something, when they made it 1.5 drop all around, non adjustable...just because thats plain and simple the best place to be riding...

Suk02Si
07-31-2003, 05:21 PM
I went for a drive today. Took Topanga Cyn Rd to Mullholand dr, to Old Topanga Cyn Rd, back to Topanga Cyn Rd.

Stock RSX springs all the way around sucks; way too soft. If you enter a turn a little too fast the car dips too much and springs back hard causing the car to bounce.

Tomorrow morning I will put the stock Si springs in the rear and hope that it balances everything out.

Silvershadow
08-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Probably too late.Did the rear settle back to stock height(Si)?Why don't you try putting back the 25MM ftr.bar.

Suk02Si
08-03-2003, 11:15 PM
Nope, it didn't get any lower.

If I put the 25mm bar up front, i'll understeer more.

Silvershadow
08-03-2003, 11:59 PM
You mentioned 1/2" higher than stock in the rear,then later you say stock height,so is it still 1/2" higher?

On a different matter,what you described earlier sounds like "roll understeer".By using a stiffer front bar it'll reduce the roll=less understeer.It's worth a try.Beats R&R ing the springs.

Suk02Si
08-04-2003, 12:17 AM
oh sorry, I know its a little confusing. 'My set up' is where I want to be. I'm still higher than stock in the rear until I go back to stock.

I see where your going with the larger front sway now. I'm going back to stock in the rear when I get an open afternoon anyway. I'll go for a drive after that and see how it works out.

Silvershadow
08-04-2003, 11:36 AM
You'll get a more understeer and still have a BOUNCE.

Suk02Si
08-05-2003, 02:39 AM
more understeer with a stiffer rear and softer front?

Silvershadow
08-05-2003, 02:50 AM
You were talkin about swapping out the rear springs to the stiffer Si ones.

Silvershadow
08-14-2003, 11:44 AM
I might be able to help you.If I could get the wire dia. and # of coils of both RSX-S & Si rear springs.A pic of the rear springs like the 1 u took of the frt. springs would real help.

Wire dia. of both frt. springs would real b helpful too,then I could make calculations to solve your handling problems.The only minor problem is I worry your frt.RSX-S spring might have come from Honda a half inch shorter than other RSX-S's.These are allowable factory tolerances.You lucked out,but may not b repeatable in another Si.

:) :) :) I thank you alot for conducting this experiment.You've been doing a theory I've been pondering & now together we may prove it.The other problem is you'll need to find some1 w/a caliper(used to measure the dia.) or measure very carefully.The #'s I get from u must b as accurate as possible.:eek:

Suk02Si
08-14-2003, 11:53 AM
Okay, I'll try to get all specs for you.

All I know right now is that the coil diameter on the RSX front spring is smaller than the Si spring but has the same amount of coils. The rear RSX sping coil diameter looks to be the same, but the spring has two more coils than the Si.

Oh, when I put the stock Si springs in the rear, it sloved by problem. The car feels much better now. I can get on the gas much earlier than i used to without having to worry about pushing outward.