PDA

View Full Version : Some rattles! Why?!

02TafWhtSi
06-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Just got home after a long night and discovered some new rattles under my dash. I guess I never heard them before b/c I always had my windows down. Today was hot and sticky so up go the windows and on with the A/C. About a minute later over some rough roads some demons make themselves known under my dash. It sounds like they are located behind the head unit but further towards the windshield. Sounds like something is loose amd shaking around. Should I take it to my dealer or could it be an easy fix?

Brenetics
06-23-2002, 01:42 AM
If it was my car to be rattling like that I would definitely take it to the dealer.

2002HatchSi
06-23-2002, 02:00 AM
Did u put an aftermarket cd player?? if not..... bring it back to honda, and question it .... its under warranty..:D

NetDragon
06-23-2002, 02:13 AM
Yeah! Dealer that thing..

02TafWhtSi
06-23-2002, 07:22 AM
Alright - I'm gonna take it to my dealer on Monday to see if anything can be done - thanks guys

SBC31
06-23-2002, 09:58 AM
It's probably just something minor that is loose. Did you go over any big pot holes/bumps/railroad tracks? I know that I drove over a big bump at one point with my old car, and something came loose under the dash and I simply tightened it myself.

Oh, yeah, if you can find the rattle yourself and it's an easy fix, i recommend you do that since most dealers don't care too much for such complaints and will probably not find the reason, or they will fix a dozen thing in hopes that it fixes the rattle. Mechanics hate warranty work unless it's something common and they can make good money and so on....

My .02 cents

Hondatech
06-23-2002, 01:23 PM
Mechanics hate warranty work unless it's something common and they can make good money and so on....

Thats true, but most dealerships also have guys, like myself, who are training to be journeyman techs, and get paid by the hour. One of the things I do at the dealership, aisde from the usual mechanical and electrical stuff, is repair squeeks and rattles. Make sure you call ahead and make an appointment, however, 'cuze nothing sucks like having someone drop in while the place is stinkin' busy, asking to have someone taken off jobs and look at their creak or rattle. Appointment!

SiCivic2k2
06-23-2002, 03:04 PM
Thanks Hondatech, I'm one of those "drop in" people. I won't do it anymore :D

Hondatech
06-23-2002, 04:02 PM
Sometimes drop ins work out ok, like on the rare occasion that we're out of work and sitting around with our thumb up.... well, anyway, times like that it's nice to get soemthing to do. :D

Most of the time, however, when we're in full blown "Chicken-with-its-head-cut-off" busy mode, dropping in usually resultsin the customer being told that we can't look at it that day, or that we're gonna need the car for the rest of the day and we might be able to see it. Either one usually makes for a grumpy customer. Best to plan it ahead, and be prepared to leave your car for most of the day.... some rattles can take a LONG time to diagnose and repair.

02TafWhtSi
06-23-2002, 07:09 PM
Man, this is really good help - I usually just leave my car off when they open at 7am and pick it up after work around 6 - I didn't realize it takes so long to repar/diagnose rattles and strange noises! My dealer is really helpful and nice, or so they seem. Anyway, I really appreciate all the feedback and I'll be sure to report the results Monday night (if they take me)!