PDA

View Full Version : oil filter question

the JigGa mAn
08-01-2003, 12:07 AM
i changed my oil today...but not the oil filter due to the fact i could not get the damn thing off...i took off the wheel and everything...taked the car up as high as it would go...but no give...it was stuck on there...i used a filter wrench and the whole 9 yards...does anyone have some suggestions on what i can do for when i hit 6000 miles and i change my oil and filter

glw
08-01-2003, 12:10 AM
take it to the local jiffy-lube? :D ;)

ep_nezay
08-01-2003, 12:18 AM
1)Didnt you get a free 1st oil change for your purchase?
2)Check your oil level frequently for your few1-6k miles, as it tends to need some due to seals settlement.

Anways back to your question,
You should be able to take it off easily with a filter wrench make sure its the socket looking one, not the belt/metal type.

Worse comes to worse, take it to the dealer for a 19.95 oil change.

Mugen_EP
08-01-2003, 12:24 AM
My first oil change the filter was torqued to like 80 lbs

I used every wrench and tool and still couldnt get the SOB off.

I got pissed and spiked it with a screwdriver:D ....it worked;)

good stress reliever also:angel:

the JigGa mAn
08-01-2003, 01:14 AM
ep_nezay in answer to your frst question yes i did get a frst free oil change...but my dealer is about 1/2 hour away from my house and its out in bufu..and i didnt feel like driving out there...

ic...i used the fuckin belt wrench not the socket...where can i buy the socket and what does it look like got a pic???

as for my oil level...my motors not eatting alot of oil like some ppls are...mine is being very good with the oil..but i do keep checking it frequently...

DX4U2NV
08-01-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP
My first oil change the filter was torqued to like 80 lbs
I used every wrench and tool and still couldnt get the SOB off.
I got pissed and spiked it with a screwdriver:D ....it worked;)
good stress reliever also:angel:
i know EXACTLY what you're talking about, i tried to change my friend's oil for her, i couldn't budge the damn thing. she was low on miles so we came to the conclusion that it wouldn't EXPLODE without a change and topped it off. ep_nezay, i got that filter-remover and it didn't make sense at first, i played with it for like 5 seconds and figured it out, it didn't fit my socket-wrench tho, but it had 2 holes through it so i put a screwdriver in there and that worked..

hamproof
08-01-2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
ic...i used the fuckin belt wrench not the socket...where can i buy the socket and what does it look like got a pic???

JigGa - take a look at this thread.

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9585

There's a picture in there on what the socket looks like. I used one of these and it makes it easier to remove the oil filter but you'll still spill the oil all over when it comes out coz' of where it is located.

Laz's EP
08-01-2003, 06:47 AM
I had the same problem with my first oil change. Next time by a oil filter for a 99-2000 SI,it's bigger,it fits and it's easier to take off. The Pet Boy's tool works in this oil filter. No more hassle.
;)

andy
08-01-2003, 06:50 AM
I've had that problem before. I just did what Mugen did
and jammed a screwdriver through it, then used that to break
it loose. Plus, once you puncture it, I think it releases a little
pressure. When you do replace it, just hand tighten it. No
need for it to be on there so tight.

styllinep3
08-01-2003, 07:15 AM
yea when u geta bitch filter thats stuck on .. the old screwdriver trick will always get her.. if theres no holes just pop one it and she ll move...good luck

gabe

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-01-2003, 11:38 AM
i havent found an oil filter yet i couldnt get off using the following method:

get the biggest monkey wrench you can find...

get a good grip on it and crush the filter....

turn counter clockwise...

youre done...

Mugen Power
08-01-2003, 11:47 AM
Ooo, good idea. BUT, there's practically no space to work with due to where they placed the filter. I've changed it twice so far and both time it took 2-3 hours... where they placed the filter is frickin' crazy. :confused:

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-01-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Mugen Power
Ooo, good idea. BUT, there's practically no space to work with due to where they placed the filter. I've changed it twice so far and both time it took 2-3 hours... where they placed the filter is frickin' crazy. :confused:

yea...it sucks on the ep...
first honda i've trouble with...
luckily i have long arms and the filter wasnt on too tight...

blackyEP3
08-01-2003, 12:30 PM
took my car to the dealer and then they had alot of trouble taking the oil filter off my car too........luckily, they did a EP RIGHT before mine so they kinda knew what to do.

golferjn
08-01-2003, 03:43 PM
blame it on where our eps came from. apparently they use a different thread for the filters over there. if you look closely at the filter that came with your car, the exterior thread is different from the replacement filters you buy at the dealer. sucks but that's how it goes

the JigGa mAn
08-02-2003, 01:10 PM
what about this (http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0663026811.105 9854095@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccegadcimkmfidfcehgcemgdffmdflh.0&vertical=AUTO&bidsite=&pid=00947064000)

thats a product we sell at sears....do you think that would work?? if so im buying it today

civic hatch boi
08-02-2003, 01:53 PM
and remember to buy the correct filter from HOnda.. some of those sales persons dont know anything. i think its the PLM-A02

the JigGa mAn
08-02-2003, 10:51 PM
yeah i contacted honda...and asked them what filter to get and they told me then i went to murrys discount auto and got the mobile 1...

jandetuning
08-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
what about this (http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0663026811.105 9854095@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccegadcimkmfidfcehgcemgdffmdflh.0&vertical=AUTO&bidsite=&pid=00947064000)

thats a product we sell at sears....do you think that would work?? if so im buying it today

That tool is the shit! It fits the EP filter and breaks it loose every time. That is all I use.