PDA

View Full Version : How do i change the tranny fluid

sniperSI
08-02-2003, 09:06 AM
I can't take it anymore the 3rd gear grinding is killing me, i want to change the fluid while i'm doing my oil change.

has anyone done this themselves, and where is the bolt to drain and filler?

oh and any suggestions to what fluid i should get (people with similar problems)

and how many quarts?

JSIR
08-02-2003, 09:56 AM
well there is a drain and fill bolt just under the tranny towards the rear side, closer to the driver side of the underside just past the splash shield. Just use a 3/8" ratchet to pull them loose - no socket needed. crack open the fill and drain bolts, drain the old fluid, close the drain bolt and begin filling the tranny from the fill bolt hole. Fill the tranny until it strarts leaking out from the fill hole, then close the fill hole with the bolt.

To be honest with you I get my dealer to do it all the time. I do almost any work on Honda engines, I change my own oil, Ive installed pistons on my last civic, pulled the head many times, timing belt stuff, etc..., but when it comes to tranny fluid I let the dealer do it for the low cost. The trick is to raise the car up but to keep it perfectly level so it fills properly, basically a lift works best or you need 4 jacks on a perfectly level driveway and a tranny filling funnel or pump. I find its just a pain in the ass to do, for the $30 or less that it costs I let the dealer do it.

I recommend Honda MTF, you need 2 quarts of the stuff. I think capacity is 1.8 quarts or so. I think the Honda MTF we get over the counter is better than the factory fill stuff, I swapped my fluid out a few months back and my tranny shifts a million times better now, night and day difference. I was really unhappy with my tranny when it had the factory fill fluid in it. It took a few days after the fluid change to start noticing a difference and I did some hard driving with it too at the track, but after that it has worked flawlessly. night and day difference for me.

Some guys on here have mentioned other fluids, but I think the Honda MTF is as good as any. If your tranny still doesn't work well with new MTF then the dealer should be look at it for warranty repairs. Make it a habit to change your tranny fluid at least once per year despite warranty recommendations that are longer.

good luck

Joey