PDA

View Full Version : Walked outside and guess what i saw.......

SinisterCivicSi
08-02-2003, 09:36 AM
DAMMIT! (thats what i said when i walked up to my car)

go outside and what do i see?? A DAM CRACK IN MY WINSHIELD!!!!!!!!! words cannot express my frustration and overall rage right now.

why am i so pissed off? cause NOTHING hit my winshield! (to my knowledge). there is NO star, NO chip.....the crack starts from under the moulding on the side and almost straight over about 12 inches.

When i parked it was fine, i also didnt drive it last night. AND it was very pleasent outside, not hot, no hard rain, NOTHING.

ARG! first thing i think is, i got a defective winshield. However, even if i did get one, proving that to the dealer will be impossible...they know i am a highway driver and will just say a rock hit it.

Does anyone know if thats fillable? (i know the answer to this but humor me).

I REALLY dont wanna get another winshield, plus i have like NO money right now and my glass deduct. is 250.
i just wanted to rant and vent i guess....(long sigh)
:(

TomR123
08-02-2003, 09:51 AM
I dont know about MD but FL has a zero deductable on windsheild no matter what insurance you have. Check around and see if there is something similar in MD

siver-SI
08-02-2003, 10:02 AM
Go to the dealership and tell them that you want a new windshield. It is thier job to prove to you that it is not a factory defect. If they can find a place of dammage then you have to pay if not then they should pay. I did this on a side morror on my old grand-am. I was drivng I get it by a strong wind and all of a sudden it just broke off. Well lucky for me I did not clean my car for a while and my black morrors were cover in salt so it was easy to see that nothing touched it. So they said it was not covered and I told them that they had to prove were the damage is. They could not and they replaced it under warrenty. They stated to GM that the screws were to teight and it caused the plasic to crack in the inside.

SubliminalSi
08-02-2003, 10:04 AM
It'll be okay sinister:hug:

EPHatchgirl
08-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Sinister,
I know that Elements are known for faulty windshields, and the dealers are replacing them as far as the Element forum says, so definitely try there first.

toe knee
08-02-2003, 12:03 PM
sinister..that sucks about the windshield...take it to the dealer....since your at work i have no other ephatch member to talk to on aim. Man i need my job back!!!!

SinisterCivicSi
08-02-2003, 02:22 PM
hey guys,
well, its spreading since its so hot today......JOY

i took some pics of it... here is one.....grrrr

CgSi
08-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Show them that there is no "impact point" from any kind of debris. If a rock hit hard enough to crack the windshield, then there should be a mark where the crack started.

My windshield cracked on the side from a VERY TINY ROCK that barely made a sound on impact and you can see where it hit, then cracked.

GOOD LUCK

icegrill
08-02-2003, 06:15 PM
The EXACT same thing happened to my 02' si I came out from work oneday, bam a huge fucking crack from under the passenger side moulding to the middle of the windshield. I had NO chips whatsoever. I took it to my RETARDED dealer they are seriously the worst honda dealer in America and they were like huh thats weird never seen that before, they only sold like 2 si's. Anyways long story short got it replaced under warranty as "good faith" they didn't believe a windshield could just spontaneously crack. Idiots:mad: :mad: :mad:

esmith13
08-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Sorry to hear it, but join the club sister!!!

Mine's been cracked for a month now. My deductable is $500 for glass and honda wants almost $700 for the job. Safe-Lite has OEM glass and will do the whole job for about $300 flat.

I tried to get mine done under warranty, since although mine is starred, it's at the drivers moulding and there is no roughness or impression in the glass to prove impact. What F***ed me is that they claim my lowering springs could have caused excess chassis flex when hitting a pot hole and done the damage!!!

Apparently it is not common, but VERY possible for chassis flex to crack a windshield on ANY car and the biggest teltale sign is when it starts under the moulding!!!!

Hope this helps ya out!

Eric

civic-si 2003
08-02-2003, 10:19 PM
you wont fuckin believe this but about 4 months ago i had the exact same crack in the exact same place that you have it...I went to the dealer and the guy just glided his pen through the area to find a rock impact but there wasnt........and bam it was done but the mechanics messed up in putting it back because i can hardly see my vin number in the front dash.

icegrill
08-03-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by civic-si 2003
you wont fuckin believe this but about 4 months ago i had the exact same crack in the exact same place that you have it...I went to the dealer and the guy just glided his pen through the area to find a rock impact but there wasnt........and bam it was done but the mechanics messed up in putting it back because i can hardly see my vin number in the front dash.

same thing here they ran the scientific pen test and also found no point of impact. Plus they fucked up and hid the vin number, you had to look at downward.That is seriously hilarious. I traded the car though. :angel:

crex2nr
08-03-2003, 12:29 AM
sorry to hear about your problem Sinister, i would just have it replaced with any glass, whether its original honda or safelite, lof or pilkington. the after market stuff is usually the same quality as the original when it comes to glass. just make sure that a reputable glass shop puts it in.

dannysi
08-03-2003, 12:53 PM
Sinister, I know how you feel. I just replaced my glass 2 weeks ago. My glass broke when they were putting the tint on it. It broke in the same spot as were yours broke. I couldn't take it to the dealer because the windshield had the tiint on it. It cost $300.00 to have it replaced (Aftermarket brand).

Cractos
08-03-2003, 01:56 PM
The same shit happen to my window like 4 months ago. I was pissed off because the dealer tried to tell my that its because of my tint on my windows. I want to hit someone that day. Well lets say that it took my 2 months to find a window at a low price "200".

i02si
08-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Mine also cracked but from the top to the side it's going to cost $400 to fix. i feel your pain.:'(

SinisterCivicSi
08-03-2003, 04:35 PM
cractos where the hell did you find a winshield that cheap? let me know man......i am just a tad broke right now.

esmith13
08-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi
cractos where the hell did you find a winshield that cheap? let me know man......i am just a tad broke right now.

Hey, I got an idea to make BOTH of us feel better!!

Let's be the founding members of the cracked windshield club and have our first gathering the same day as the Baltimore GTG!!

How's that sound!! :angel:

Sorry, at least it made ME feel better... till I read it back to myself... :confused:

Now I'm just MORE bummed..... :(

Eric

VBSI
08-03-2003, 07:47 PM
I could swear that it was on this forum that a bunch of people had this happen, and had it covered under warranty. That has to be a defect.

SinisterCivicSi
08-03-2003, 09:48 PM
i am goign to give it a try and see if the dealer will replace. they are so gonna hate me......list of things they have replaced for free...

short block
passanger headlight
Air box top piece

hopefullly i can add a winshield to that. i just thought it was weird that the crack showed up when i wasnt driving the car, and it was a very pleasant night, not hot or too cold, no rain, no humidity.

ill try and get up there this week, i will let you all know

and Esmith...... you and i can hang baby - we got alot in common! LOL
;)

kenis138
08-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Yup, same thing here. Lemmie know how you make out, I'll print this thread and take it to the dealer.

SinisterCivicSi
08-04-2003, 03:55 PM
called the dealer today and sweet talked the guy for a few minutes. i then told him what happened and acted dumb (girls can get away with that - whatever works). he told me about the pen test and to try it when i can. he also said to bring the car by and they would be happy to look at it. he said he hadnt heard of any issues with the winshield but then again, he wouldnt admit to it either. i will keep you all posted.....wish me luck cause i have NO cheese to get a new winshield.

hamproof
08-05-2003, 07:17 AM
If your deductible is $250, you might only pay $50-$100 depending on where you go to get your glass replaced. My deductible is $100 but when I get my glass replaced, I just tell them to pay my deductible and I'll have them replace it. It is common practice. I get coupons in the mail all the time. They'll pay your deductible usually up to $100 to get your business.

They'll just bill the insurance company more regardless. If you are paying on your own, they charge you about $250. If you go via insurance, they charge the same glass for about $480.

How do I know this? This guy on a different forum changed his windshield on the same car as mine in the same glass repair place. His windshield cost $280 out of his own pocket. Mine cost about $480. It is the exact same glass. Just 2 weeks apart.

ahhhonda
08-05-2003, 09:15 AM
Well I'm hoping some of you will check into how much your $0 glass deductable will cost now. Just in case some of you don't know, glass coverage is a separate item from your comp or collision deductables, so it can be adjusted separately. At least in MN it only costs me about $20 a year to add that coverage. Well worth it even if you only have to replace a windshield once every 10 years.. With all the spontaneous breakage, that just says to me that these cars will be even more prone to cracking with the smallest rock impacts.

esmith13
08-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Honda called me today.... The complaint I made about my glass was heard!!! Originally they told me to fuck off and said my lowering springs and strut bar were likely the cause of my crack, and I bitched to the head people and salesman who sold me the car and they changed their mind and approved my warranty claim!!!!!! :D :D

I'll have new glass in about 1 week!!!!

There is hope SinisterCivicSi!!!!!

WHOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!

Eric :D

STP03BlueSI
08-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by esmith13
Honda called me today.... The complaint I made about my glass was heard!!! Originally they told me to fuck off and said my lowering springs and strut bar were likely the cause of my crack, and I bitched to the head people and salesman who sold me the car and they changed their mind and approved my warranty claim!!!!!! :D :D

I'll have new glass in about 1 week!!!!

There is hope SinisterCivicSi!!!!!

WHOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!

Eric :D

how can lowering springs and strut bar affect a window?..thats like sayin my wiper arm doesnt work because u have a exhaust pipe....dealerships are sad.

skooba
08-05-2003, 08:58 PM
ok sinister, i feel your pain totally. I went out to my car this morning, got in, and noticed a nice line in the exact same spot as your picture..... didn't really know what it was at first, so i tried to rub it off, then i realized that the windshield was cracked.... what a shitty feeling. unfortunately, i can see a tiny tiny little chip where a rock or something hit it, so i guess im gonna have to shell out $300 :(

hamproof
08-06-2003, 05:58 AM
Do you guys not have comprehensive coverage? Or just too high of a deductible? It doesn't make sense to have comprehensive more than a $100 deductible since you use it for windshield mostly and most windshield replacement company in Michigan will pay up to $100 of your deductible.

Of course states w/ separate windshield coverage from COMP do not apply.

kenis138
08-12-2003, 06:11 AM
took my car to dealership, said the found a spot where rock hit, will not replace it... oh well, at least i got my 2yr inspection sticker before it happened. Howd you make out sinister?

skooba
08-12-2003, 05:14 PM
i got a new one a few days after it happend, ended up costing me $235 when all was said and done.

SinisterCivicSi
08-12-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by hamproof
Do you guys not have comprehensive coverage? Or just too high of a deductible? It doesn't make sense to have comprehensive more than a $100 deductible since you use it for windshield mostly and most windshield replacement company in Michigan will pay up to $100 of your deductible.

Of course states w/ separate windshield coverage from COMP do not apply.

in maryland comprehensive and glass coverage are two totally different things. my deductable for both is 250 but i am tryin to get one of those coupons in the mail for a glass company and they can just bill my insurance. i did the pen test and it failed, there is a little TINY TINY dot where i guess a rock (pebble) (sand) (dust) hit the winshield....dam glass cant take a hit like the old glass winshields could, my 93 civic i hit a dam deer and part of the deer went onto the winshield, not a scratch or crack.

dofu
08-12-2003, 07:15 PM
lol... i feel your pain sinister... while washing my car for the first time in a few months last week, a damn bug wouldnt wash off my windshield. with closer inspection, i noticed that it was a crack from a tiny ass fuckin pebble. well thanks to procrastination lol and maybe another rock, it aint exactly small no more. i went to my body shop yesterday, and they told me that i should just pay out of my pocket even for oem honda windshield coz it isnt worth it when my monthly goes up for a damn window. im too frickin broke to even spend $200, not to mention $400. and to top it all off, i just smashed my dual canister on a pothole two days ago... two smashed canisters, flat piping, and the welds to the hooks broke off too. damn... my si's fucked for a while now

pittcwhite
08-12-2003, 07:23 PM
I had the same problem..... right now as I type his reply I have a cracked windshield as well....

The crack is on the driver side about half way up the windshield and it juts straight across the glass...

I wrecked my SI 5 weeks ago and just got it back last week, and I thought I might have done that in the wreck... I destroyed every piece of the front end but the right headlight, and right fender.......

Let me know if you hear anything about the windshield from Honda or anything..... because I dont feel like paying for this out of Pocket...

Hit me up on AIM....or on here. (AIM=cwhite219)

Later.

dofu
08-12-2003, 09:01 PM
sad thing is, i pay 15 hundred a year for insurance with a clean record right now... and none of that money's doin shit for me (yet)

SinisterCivicSi
08-12-2003, 09:10 PM
making a claim on your glass coverage does not raise your premiums. thats why there is seperate coverage for that....its uncontrollable. if you could dodge a pebble, your a bad mofo.

there are coupons in the mail all the time for reductions on your deductable for winshield companys. some only make you pay 50 and they bill your insurance for the rest like any other body shop would do for the damage. thats the route i am going.

SinisterCivicSi
08-15-2003, 12:58 PM
well, went to the dealer finally today and played dumb to the pen test. i told him i had several friends that have the same car, and same crack and had the winshield replaced thru warranty as defective. he did the pen test one way and didnt find it. he then said, wow i dont see where this would have started...... (me getting happy) then he goes with the pen the other direction and of course, finds the spot. he gave me the pen for me to do it and there was nothing i could do but say in my head "DOH!" oh well, i tried. he said its an insurance issue, take it up with them.
i told them i wanted to at least have em look at it for me and he also said that these winshields are made so thin now, it doesnt take much to crack em.

GOOD NEWS is that i took an hour to call around to different glass companies and i got one to wave $150 of my deductable so all i gotta pay is 50 bucks for a new one. and considering i am flat broke, thats a hell of alot better than $200.

anyone wanna pitch in and help me?? :angel:

oldschoolimport
08-16-2003, 12:26 AM
same shit here, right side though. dealer replaced the windshield along with the sunroof assembly on my second trip in for the sunroof leak. dumb asses messed up installing the windshield and chased a sunroof leak 4 more times til they re installed the windshield and it stopped. seeing a honda dealer facing buying back a car under lemon law was funny as hell. ended up keeping this one coz the bugs seem to be worked out.

oh yeah, anybody remember how shitty british cars were back in the day? EPs are made over there. coincidence??????

kingxchat
08-16-2003, 01:41 AM
fuck honda's their windows are shit shit shit now :(
saw a speck looks like a grain of sand or maybe rice hit my window and it formed a crack, i regret the headaches these window put me through booooo :'(