PDA

View Full Version : 16 inch rims without lowering!?

blackyEP3
08-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Would it look strange??

Thinking of adding a set of Rota Slips in bronze w/ some 205-50-16 tires.

I'd lower but I don't got the $$ and my area is still pretty new and therefore quite bumpy.

Would it look like a 2 door CRV or not very noticible?

CivicSiR4U2NV
08-02-2003, 08:03 PM
not as bad as 17's would look like

civicSIracer
08-03-2003, 12:07 AM
might as well lower on stockers and save a few more bux for wheels.. it will look wack with out lowering it 1st IMO

estebones
08-03-2003, 12:12 AM
I have some 16's from my last honda they look kinda small(my car is not dropped yet) the mistake I made is that the tires and rims were on my sedan before and now that I have them in my hatch they look tiny
rims: 16"
tires:205/40 R16
My suggestion: if you get 16's got with a 60-65 tire but that's just my suggestion....
here's a pic I dunno if you can see the gap on that thing but its HUGE...
http://www.angelfire.com/alt/estebones/crap/si2.jpg

irrational
08-03-2003, 12:22 AM
i had to sit and look at my new work emotions for weeks because my ep3 was not lowered. i refused to put em on at stock height. just do what that other guy said and lower the before you put em on. oh and if your gonna get 16 inch wheels a 50 series tire should be perfect. i have 45 series on my 17 inch wheels and they look nice. a bit less than one inch gap with progress springs.

IchBinEinSiR
08-03-2003, 07:13 AM
Buy the wheels and don't worry about dropping it, I am also going to be purchasing 16" wheels this winter/spring (hopefully the FP Honda wheels by Enkei), with a set of 205/50ZR-16's.

Our local Honda put a set of 17's on one of their cars without lowering and really it doesn't look terrible, with the 16's and the higher profile tires, it will look just fine. I also find that the more stock looking the wheels (less like tuner) the better they look without the drop.

I also wouldn't want to drop the car lower than 1" (Eibach), and only later on when I can justify getting shocks as well.

blackyEP3
08-03-2003, 09:54 AM
estebones

At 40 series.....it looks way out of place! :o Thanks for the pic anyway!! :)

IchBinEinSiR

I am thinking of putting on some Rota Slips in bronze in 16s. I'd lower it just with springs but then I kinda don't want to kill my shocks (I did with my EK4) I hate the rollorcoaster ride.......especially I have to keep my car for a few years at least.

If only I had the $$ to get coilovers & rims!

:(

blackyEP3
08-03-2003, 09:54 AM
estebones

At 40 series.....it looks way out of place! :o Thanks for the pic anyway!! :)

IchBinEinSiR

I am thinking of putting on some Rota Slips in bronze in 16s. I'd lower it just with springs but then I kinda don't want to kill my shocks (I did with my EK4) I hate the rollorcoaster ride.......especially I have to keep my car for a few years at least.

If only I had the $$ to get coilovers & rims!

:(

shimmy_yaz
08-03-2003, 11:04 AM
16's wont look any worse than beat ass stock 15's

BlasTech
08-03-2003, 01:35 PM
What makes a wheel/tire combo look dinky is the overall gap, no matter what the wheel size is.

So go here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

and get an idea of how much smaller or larger than stock the overall diameter will be. Ideally, you want to stay within a half inch of the original size or its gonna look funny.

SiR Medic
08-03-2003, 04:16 PM
I plan on buying 16"s first and then lowering next year.

If you are more interested in performance than looks, get the wheels first.

The thin stock wheels and tires are the "weakest link" of the Si's suspension, fix that first, and then go for lowering.

civic hatch boi
08-03-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by estebones
I have some 16's from my last honda they look kinda small(my car is not dropped yet) the mistake I made is that the tires and rims were on my sedan before and now that I have them in my hatch they look tiny
rims: 16"
tires:205/40 R16
My suggestion: if you get 16's got with a 60-65 tire but that's just my suggestion....
here's a pic I dunno if you can see the gap on that thing but its HUGE...
http://www.angelfire.com/alt/estebones/crap/si2.jpg

i think u're suggestion is sucky imo. 16's with a 60-65? our stock 15's come with a 60. 16's with that would make it look too huge.

IchBinEinSiR
08-04-2003, 03:37 AM
BlackeyEP3

I drove the dealers car the other day with the 17" wheel/tire combo with the stock suspension setup and the SiR handled much better (mind you because of the cheaper, heavier wheels, slower than stock), so really you don't really need to lower the ride unless you feel you need to. I would like to lower it about 1", but I'm not sure it's worth the expense... right now with stock tires and wheels I can outlap my friend in his MazdaSpeed, and later this month we are going to switch cars and do laps and see if the car or I am faster. Most of any disadvantage is from the crappy tires, so better stock size or one size larger tires and wheels would probably negate a lot of these...

As long as the new wheel/tire package is no heavier than the stock package you will be happy with it.

IchBinEinSiR
08-04-2003, 03:43 AM
I can't remember who posted this picture, but this is what I want to do at least:

Stock ride height with 16" FP Honda wheels by Enkei, or a similar clean looking wheel.

Civicvtec1ps
08-04-2003, 08:29 AM
i put my 17s one day. took it off next day.
dont even bother with putting rims without lowring.

cbecker333
08-04-2003, 08:45 AM
IchBinEinSiR, I think you're right - the FP wheels are the way to go if you don't want the cost/risk of lowering...

BlackNRedSi
08-04-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
i put my 17s one day. took it off next day.
dont even bother with putting rims without lowring.

i have 17s with 215/45/17 and yes its noticable from seeing other EPs with it lowered...but IMO i could care less right now, its better than having those sick stockies on...

and like i say in all my posts about dropping your car...

either drop with a good set of coil overs THEN rims, or rims THEN a good set of coil overs....

i kno some people (including me) dont really got the loot to do a great set of coil overs, but you will be happier in the long run, instead of blowing your stock shocks....thats a rough drive like that....

This is what it will look like NON DROPPED on 17s with 205/40s

BlackNRedSi
08-04-2003, 09:03 AM
these are pretty bad photos of my ep with new rims, 215/45/17s but they give you a estimate of what it may look like with 17s W/o a drop with bigger wider tires

Eric

http://65.168.247.56/ephatch/webpages/PA_Back_Roads_Blitz/images/img_0009.jpg

http://65.168.247.56/ephatch/webpages/PA_Back_Roads_Blitz/images/img_0026.jpg

http://65.168.247.56/ephatch/webpages/PA_Back_Roads_Blitz/images/img_0020.jpg

BlackNRedSi
08-04-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by shimmy_yaz
16's wont look any worse than beat ass stock 15's

not true, they will look alot better...becaues the rims draw more attention than the beat ass stock tires/rims...