PDA

View Full Version : Mugen or Tein Basic Suspension Kit???

raiyo
08-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Which would you pick? I can get the Tein Basic for $888.00 and Mugen for $150 more. I heard Mugen drops around 1.4", that's what I like. As for the Teins, I'll drop it around that height and never mess with it again.

Help me out.

Civicvtec1ps
08-02-2003, 09:06 PM
you are in same boat as me.
i will just wait reviews on mugen . ( i wanna see drop on ep3)
i had tein ss on my last ride(2002 ex). VERY nice. you wont regret with tein basic .
PS. you dont like tein s tech anymore? ride sucks eh?

02TafWhtSi
08-03-2003, 07:07 AM
Don't worry guys, my review is coming up for sure this week. I'm just waiting for my uncle to have a free morning so we can slap these babies on :cool:

Jodster
08-03-2003, 07:12 AM
Question regarding the Mugen suspension kit- I know it is non adjustable and is only a 1.4 inch drop, but I was wondering if I was to get it could I put my Nuespeed race springs on it? I like my low drop and was just wondering if it would be too much stress on the Mugen struts. Also would the Nuespeed race springs have a stiffer spring rate than the Mugen ones? Just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

SiR Medic
08-03-2003, 04:51 PM
If your just going to settle for a 1.4" drop, I'd go for the Mugen.

It corrects the the bump steer by relocating the steering arm.

Also, it's just a little more "pimp"!;)

Does anyone know if the Mugen set needs camber correction?

02TafWhtSi
08-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Jodster
Question regarding the Mugen suspension kit- I know it is non adjustable and is only a 1.4 inch drop, but I was wondering if I was to get it could I put my Nuespeed race springs on it? I like my low drop and was just wondering if it would be too much stress on the Mugen struts. Also would the Nuespeed race springs have a stiffer spring rate than the Mugen ones? Just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Ummm...thats a good question actually. I suppose you could but Mugen designed this kit so the springs and shocks would work ideally with one another so....I'm not sure. If you are going to do this, $1K is A LOT for essentially just shocks (since you won't be using the springs) :o

raiyo
08-03-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
PS. you dont like tein s tech anymore? ride sucks eh?

The ride sucks because of the shocks, not due to the springs. If I was gonna use like 500-700 for shocks/labor, then I rather get a kit instead. Since it is factory tuned, it's much better than what I'm gonna mix-n-match.

younggotti266
08-03-2003, 09:59 PM
I'm leaning more towards the Mugen set up.......

Does anyone have info on the Honda FP Suspension....
like does it fit the ep, drop, etc.

Civicvtec1ps
08-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by raiyo

The ride sucks because of the shocks, not due to the springs. If I was gonna use like 500-700 for shocks/labor, then I rather get a kit instead. Since it is factory tuned, it's much better than what I'm gonna mix-n-match.
i agree with you. i went with tein ss on my last car(02 civic). i shoulve kept it damn it haha,
def worth every penny. go with full setup instead of springs. im leaning toward KW now.. we shall see.;)

Mr.02BlackSIguY
08-04-2003, 01:09 AM
for me.. i like tein suspension. i heard alot about it but also heard good reviews about megen. tein only have basic and flex for our eps huh? no ss?

Civicvtec1ps
08-04-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Mr.02BlackSIguY
for me.. i like tein suspension. i heard alot about it but also heard good reviews about megen. tein only have basic and flex for our eps huh? no ss?
you can fit tein ss for(em2) on ep3 with very minor modifications. someone posted on review section

silver ep
08-04-2003, 10:53 AM
If I were you I'd consider the KWs.

Si_Nutt
08-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Anyone actually have these on their ride yet? I am seriously considering these to replace my H&R Sport springs and blown stock shocks. Is the drop more like 1.75" or 1.4"? Any feed back would be cool.

EP33
08-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Mugen is in some legal trouble they need all the business they can get. Besides, they make good shit.

rswbrixton
08-05-2003, 05:16 PM
My Mugen set up is officially on order as of 20 minutes ago !!!

Neuspeed Race and blown oem shocks just aint cuttin it anymore.

Thank You A-J Racing and Mugen-Showa .

YooShin
08-08-2003, 07:03 AM
How much of a drop would you get with the Basics? I'm want a reasonably priced coilover set that will give me a solid 2-2.25" drop.

rs-sex
08-08-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by rswbrixton
My Mugen set up is officially on order as of 20 minutes ago !!!

Neuspeed Race and blown oem shocks just aint cuttin it anymore.

Thank You A-J Racing and Mugen-Showa .

How much did you buy and what is the ETA on the product for you from A&J. Thanks.

rswbrixton
08-08-2003, 07:48 PM
^rs-sex.

I'm paying 1375 plus GST shipped to my office . I expect to see them in 6 weeks or sooner . Stock has to arrive from overseas to Vancouver,B.C. then through A-J Racing to me .

Si_Nutt
08-09-2003, 05:31 AM
By personal experience I would have to recommend the Mugens. Great set up with a decent drop and superb ride. Plus I like the fact that it was designed specifically for the EP3, not all 01+ Civics.

Whiteboy
10-31-2003, 07:40 AM
Why are there so many more votes for Mugen? Are Tein Basics bad? I was considering these...

bobdobbs
10-31-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Whiteboy
Why are there so many more votes for Mugen? Are Tein Basics bad? I was considering these...
This thread was posted when the Mugens just came out and there was a lot of excitement for them. Now I think you'd get different results. Get the Basics.

beansbear
10-31-2003, 12:02 PM
Basics all the way baby....

Whiteboy
10-31-2003, 02:18 PM
Wellll good....Less money and adjustable. I'll be getting these next!

sniperSI
10-31-2003, 02:27 PM
Mugen.

Go over to honda tech and search / ask some of those cats how they LOVE their mugens.

Guys are talking about how the suspension is perfect for our Sis and how it can go into a 4 corner drift with ease etc etc. sounds like a dream to me.

Edit:

I also feel you will get better OEM ride and staying power over shocks you can adjust the spring heights on. My friend has a set of konis that are all but blown because of tweaking the coils for 30,000 miles.

+ i feel 1.4 inchs is plenty of drop for our cars, unless your in east la.

HondaMan
11-01-2003, 03:00 PM
My Tein Basics are very nice and ride a little stiffer than the OEM setup and much better than my Progress springs with stock shocks/struts. Also, having coilover height adjustment is a plus for AutoX and the like.

K20NutBucket
11-05-2003, 03:13 PM
where is the best place/cheapest to get the tein basics??

HondaMan
11-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by K20NutBucket
where is the best place/cheapest to get the tein basics??

ShowstoppersUSA (tell Chuck I sent you) :)

the JigGa mAn
12-05-2003, 12:41 AM
can you get adjustable tein shocks and the mugen springs?

digitldlnkwnt
12-07-2003, 02:09 PM
im saving for
spc camber kit
KW camber plates
KW v2 suspension...

for the money the materials and build quality can't be beat.
no one else useses stainless steel.

but i wonder how much, if at all heavier they are than stock springs and shocks.

HondaMan
12-08-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
can you get adjustable tein shocks and the mugen springs?

I guess its possible, but why? The Tein springs are great.

gr33nnugz
12-08-2003, 02:46 PM
I just ordered a set of tein basics. " my xmas gift to myself" hehe:D

HondaMan
12-08-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by gr33nnugz
I just ordered a set of tein basics. " my xmas gift to myself" hehe:D

Right on! Good move!

Blackapino85
12-10-2003, 08:57 PM
i'm thinking about purchasing the tein basics but i have a few things to consider. i'm more concerned with adjusting the damping force than the ride height. i noticed the basics only adjust the height and not the damping force so my question is, should i wait for the type ss to come out or just get a good set of springs like progress and invest in a set of adjustable dampers when they come out? i'll be commuting on shitty roads during the week and autox on the weekends. do the basics give enough stroke on surface streets yet are firm when i need them at the track? sorry for babbling but i don't wanna waste my money and be sorry later on. anyone help?

digitldlnkwnt
12-10-2003, 10:08 PM
i would check out kw suspension v2 line. Decent price, made for our car and you can get them with camber plates cheaper than tien type flex (which would be too stiff anyway...on shitty roads that is)
There 16 way dampers with upto 3 inch height adjust, i belive its 3 inch anyway, and they sport full stainless bodies.

those and a camber kit and youll be straight for autox...
anyone differ?

thas the way im goin.

if you wanna go cheaper tokico is suposed to be coming out with dampers for our car as well. those will 5way adjust and then i would recommend nothing else but eibach, personally i think they make the best off-the-shelf spring.

hope that helped

Blackapino85
12-10-2003, 10:29 PM
thanks alot imma check it out.

william
12-10-2003, 10:45 PM
put mugens on my car. work great, but lower it quite a bit too.

digitldlnkwnt
12-11-2003, 08:47 PM
:D

todaCspec
12-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Where is the best place to buy Mugen suspension and best price for it?

EP3ME
12-21-2003, 12:53 PM
Get the Mugen!!!

rswbrixton
12-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Nearly 3 months with the Mugens . People , this is the way to go .

Still 2 thumbs way way up .

bobdobbs
12-21-2003, 06:14 PM
Four months on Teins and it's DEFINITELY the way to go. Lighter than the Mugen and adjustable. ;)

HondaMan
12-21-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Four months on Teins and it's DEFINITELY the way to go. Lighter than the Mugen and adjustable. ;)

Ditto! :)

bluefalcon101
12-22-2003, 02:38 PM
does it include everything ie...struts, springs, strut bar, and swaybar?

HondaMan
12-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by bluefalcon101
does it include everything ie...struts, springs, strut bar, and swaybar?

Just struts/shocks & springs...strut & sway bars are extra.

toda_power
12-28-2003, 02:28 AM
im feelin teins more...

Az02Si
12-30-2003, 10:37 AM
I dont see the point in buying the Mugens honestly....Different strokes for different folks,but DAMN,1K and you cant adjust height?????I do NOT have any of the crazy bumpsteer issues that others have talked about out cars having,and ive got my Basics set pretty damn low....Car rides great,handles even better and felt great on the track......To MEEE its all about the ride height adjustability,and i bet that after a while the Mugen owners will wish they could alter the cars stance a bit....My vote???? TEIN Basics %100.....For the price they really CANNOT be beat...

HondaMan
12-30-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Az02Si
I dont see the point in buying the Mugens honestly....Different strokes for different folks,but DAMN,1K and you cant adjust height?????I do NOT have any of the crazy bumpsteer issues that others have talked about out cars having,and ive got my Basics set pretty damn low....Car rides great,handles even better and felt great on the track......To MEEE its all about the ride height adjustability,and i bet that after a while the Mugen owners will wish they could alter the cars stance a bit....My vote???? TEIN Basics %100.....For the price they really CANNOT be beat...

Well said...I love my Teins! :)

Dunrick
12-30-2003, 11:42 AM
how far do teins basic drop? I guess after 3" our tie rods will need to be replaced w/ aftermarket ones (shorter i believe).

beansbear
12-30-2003, 11:46 AM
my car is lowered to spec and it STILL has about 1.5" or a bit more to go...

drifterX
01-08-2004, 01:39 PM
well if your doing tein basic coilovers versus MUGEN ya go mugen...especially if your talking about the KW's...those are tight but if its tein ulta super street or one of those systems that hook up the EDFC...the EDC system has many more benefits than most in my opinion but everyones different so i guess its up to whoever.

dofu
01-13-2004, 06:50 PM
I can get the Tein Basic for $888.00 and Mugen for $150 more.

tein basics at apex motorsports (http://www.apexr1.com/teinbasichonda.html)
teins are sooo nice!!!

HondaMan
01-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by dofu
tein basics at apex motorsports (http://www.apexr1.com/teinbasichonda.html)
teins are sooo nice!!!

Wow, nice price! $773.00 but I wonder how much shipping would be...probably less than $50 any where.

raiyo
01-13-2004, 08:15 PM
excuse my language, but GOD DAMN, best price ever. they trustworthy? gonna need to change my suspension soon. BTW guys, i voted for mugen, but backing off. why? Teins cost less.

Si Death
01-13-2004, 08:23 PM
do u have to do any aligntment or camber thingos everytime you adjust ride height??? or is it just adjust and go????

raiyo
01-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Si Death
do u have to do any aligntment or camber thingos everytime you adjust ride height??? or is it just adjust and go????

I believe each time u mess with the height issue on your ride, you must get it align. Cuz it'll be alittle off now, then worse later.

Si Death
01-13-2004, 08:45 PM
I believe each time u mess with the height issue on your ride, you must get it align. Cuz it'll be alittle off now, then worse later.

ahhh, i dunno i wanna do that all the time then.

raiyo
01-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Si Death
ahhh, i dunno i wanna do that all the time then.

find some hook up to have a lifetime alignment.

97 TYPE-R 312
01-14-2004, 12:02 AM
bump for the Mugen Sport Suspension. I love them!

-Victor (who has an extra set f/s)

CleanBlackSi02
01-14-2004, 08:28 AM
I have the Tein's, but I wish I had considered the Mugen setup. Since I've chosen to put my stockies back on and sell my wheels, the extra gap isn't an issue. The Tein's are designed to work best at around 2", but I still have not heard a response as to whether or not my ride and handling would suck up at the highest the coilovers will go. ANYONE? :confusem:

halos02Si
01-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
Wow, nice price! $773.00 but I wonder how much shipping would be...probably less than $50 any where.

I was wondering the same question at the time and went ahead and entered all the info as if I was going to purchase the kit. The kit was $773 + $49.34 shipped to my address at zip "08863"

That is an excellent price! Now I have to start looking under the couch cushions and check if any of my friends have dropped any loose change lately :D

dofu
01-16-2004, 12:15 AM
excuse my language, but GOD DAMN, best price ever. they trustworthy? gonna need to change my suspension soon. BTW guys, i voted for mugen, but backing off. why? Teins cost less.

yes they are... quick too.

dofu
01-16-2004, 12:25 AM

it's not the alignment that you wanna worry about as much unless you've got crazy negative camber when you work on your suspension... you want your car "corner balanced" that means you want to make sure your car's ride height is the same on all four sides... er at least for fronts, then rears (i like to drop my fronts more than the rears). if you dont do this, your car may feel like it needs an alignment, when in fact, your alignment is fine.
this costs about a bill at most places, but i normally jus make sure i measure everything over and over again when i'm adjusting anything so i dont mess up the balance of my suspension.
other than that, a good alignment will last a long time... even if you change something out, or adjust your ride hieght.

SiR_d1
01-17-2004, 03:57 PM
after reading what Mike said about his TEIN's it only made me want to get the Mugen's even more

raiyo
01-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by SiR_d1
after reading what Mike said about his TEIN's it only made me want to get the Mugen's even more

Mike who? Read from where? Info pls.

SiR_d1
01-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Mike who? Read from where? Info pls.

TYPE X (Mike) said it in a recent post

When you have a product you tend to favour it more just because you it. I consider myself like X in the sense that just because I have a certain mod I can still be truthfully honest about it. Like so far I'm dissapointed with mostly all my mods except my recent ones

raiyo
01-18-2004, 08:05 PM
He had some bad experience with the Teins?

SiR_d1
01-18-2004, 08:09 PM
give me a sec and I'll find it for you

SiR_d1
01-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Type X

Tein basics are nice..... since i have had mine i have had a few problems however
install was done by a "tein authorized dealer"
i have had them for about a month
Do i love them.... no... do i like them.. yes... would i recommend them... maybe

the rears have a little plastic part that makes noise
see in suspension forum about that fix
and when i cut the wheel they spring "moves"
and weekly i have to "tighten" the dirvers side mounts cause they come loose :(

i dunno if its due to the harsh winter or what but
i would go with the mugen if you DONT need adjustable coils

i needed them for our shitty winters
and thats about it
- mike

raiyo
01-18-2004, 08:27 PM
ic ic, thx alot

Bart02SIR
01-20-2004, 10:55 AM
with the Tein Basics, do you guys run a camber kit? Im only looking to drop no more than 1.5". Should I get a camber kit as well? If so, which camber kit is good?

batboy02si
01-22-2004, 05:53 PM
heres a question. with the salt they lay down in my town which would last longer? but i'm definitly leaning towards the mugens.

raiyo
01-22-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by batboy02si
heres a question. with the salt they lay down in my town which would last longer? but i'm definitly leaning towards the mugens.

I dunno which would last longer. If you got salt issues, try looking up the "KW" brand, stainless steel, should last u a bit.

CleanBlackSi02
01-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
I have the Tein's, but I wish I had considered the Mugen setup. Since I've chosen to put my stockies back on and sell my wheels, the extra gap isn't an issue. The Tein's are designed to work best at around 2", but I still have not heard a response as to whether or not my ride and handling would suck up at the highest the coilovers will go. ANYONE? :confusem:
Anyoneeeeee?

Eee Pee
01-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by dofu
you want your car "corner balanced" that means you want to make sure your car's ride height is the same on all four sides...
Actually corner balancing is the "art" of getting the crossweights of the car as equal as possible.
And, actually this often results in a car's ride heights to be quite different.

http://www.grmotorsports.com/cornerweight.html

Eee Pee
01-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
Anyoneeeeee?

Try it and find out.
I have Konis and coilover springs on my 94 hatch and it feels no different at different ride heights.
Actually it feels better higher up because it doesn't hit the bump stops on the big bumps...
Granted it's a different shock, but it's the same concept.

SpoonEP3
02-16-2004, 02:28 AM
how do you like hayame... i think that they are pretty ok...

dofu
02-16-2004, 03:52 AM
i have tein basics on right now and im lovin the feel... jus havin a few issues with the cornerbalance and alignment... hope i can get that fixed by sat...

dofu
03-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Eee Pee
Actually corner balancing is the "art" of getting the crossweights of the car as equal as possible.

thats a better definition...;) :D

potator
03-17-2004, 12:58 AM
Both seem really sweet. But I think I'm gonna have to go with Mugen on this one, since I probably won't need to adjust the ride height after the 1.4 drop.

aZnjCC
04-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Eee Pee

Correct. I was reading his post and thought "uh ohh, someone better correct him" Most of the corner weighted cars I see look pretty weird, usually one of the corners of the car is higher than the rest.

Most people who corner balance their cars are hardcore road racers. A daily driver who occasionaly takes their car to the track should not even think about corner balancing unless they are damn good at driving and need the car setup perfectly.

vivid blue Si
04-14-2004, 08:46 PM
just got an e-mail from king motor sports and they said the mugen drop is 1.3 inches and requires no rear camber kit:D like someone said before it was designed just for the EP3. I understand the pluses
of being able to adjust your suspension but I dont race at the track
so I think the 1.3 should be perfect and I wont have to have it aligned
every time I raise or lower it.:p

bobdobbs
04-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by vivid blue Si
I think the 1.3 should be perfect and I wont have to have it aligned every time I raise or lower it.:p
You'll still have a lot of wheel gap and you don't have to realign when you make small adjustments to the Teins.

BarracksSi
04-20-2004, 04:23 PM
As far as whether the Mugen SS has too much gap or not is pretty subjective. But, it still looks good, and more importantly for me, it won't attract the wrong kind of attention.

IIx 03 EP xII
06-08-2004, 09:47 PM
well ill tell yall right now that i have the koni yellow inserts w/ H&R springs... and i scrape too much. also, the koni's are loose and they wont stay tight. im gettin very sick of them and am highly considering the mugen setup. the mugens seem to be the best setup for a daily driver. ive heard that the teins loosen up too?? is this true?

Makross
06-28-2004, 12:31 PM
I would go with TEIN :shadesm:

mhx
06-28-2004, 01:03 PM

most people dont even mess with the height once its set for their car.. Unless you autox or are a hardcore racer.. which most of us arent. I can see why you would want to raise the car in the winter where theres snow..

I used to have neuspeed full coilovers on my old 00 ex.. i set em and never changed em.. i droped it about 1.5in all around.. never really messed w/ it after that.. got me an alignment and called it a day.

seandwd
07-01-2004, 01:54 PM
I have been so bent on which of these two setups to get. How much better is a coil-over set like one of these over a set of new shocks paired with new springs? I have been thinking about waiting for the KYB AGX and getting some Sportlines. I think out of the two mentioned here I would have to pick Mugen though.

BearNVa
07-01-2004, 04:11 PM
I'm a daily driver I drive FAST and I drive HARD, the roads here aren't that bad but a few holes here and there. If I lowered my ride 2" on either of these setups would I be feeling hearing BAM BAM SLAM like the bottoms coming out or would it be kinda smooth (knowing how Eibachs feel on stock shocks, bam slam)?

Bill

BarracksSi
07-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Any complete setup (coilovers, Mugen, whatever) already has matched spring/shock rates, so there's less guesswork involved when compared to buying springs & shocks separately.

You'll feel bumps & potholes with Mugen, but they're not going to shake your fillings loose. It's a little harsher than stock, but if you have a passenger that wouldn't know the difference, you could convince them that it really is stock -- it's not bad at all.

raiyo
07-01-2004, 05:19 PM
you guys.... stop.... stop talking nothing but good stuff about the Mugens. Making me more and more wanting to buy it, heheh. Geez....what have I started with this thread. :D

BarracksSi
07-01-2004, 05:39 PM
Best way to know for sure is to experience it for yourself. I did, and I was definitely impressed enough to get a set for myself. That's no guarantee that you'd feel the same, of course.

mhx
07-01-2004, 05:49 PM
is there a post with all the differ spring rates out there.. id be interested in finding 1

djsolution
07-16-2004, 05:40 PM
yes there is. look at the stickies on the suspension section. there's a spring rates post there

LiLxKeNnY
07-20-2004, 11:53 AM
there is no question get the tein!!!!