PDA

View Full Version : fuel cut off at 4K WTF???

ssdabss
08-02-2003, 10:55 PM
I'll keep this short...I also have hondata...and checked the oil, it was low...

While driving (60mph in 2nd and tach around 7700) my tach starts going crazy, the car feels sluggish, and then the fuel cut off is now at 4K. The worst part is the check engine light and the maint reqd light are both on. There is no new weird noise coming from the engine itself. It aslo runs strong up until 3800K, so what did I do to my car??? thanks in advance.:'( I hope an oil change will solve this

team ERA 5
08-02-2003, 11:00 PM
oh man :'( ...i dont have hondata so i dont kno wasssup...i feel for u man

estebones
08-02-2003, 11:25 PM
have you tried resetting the ecu?

ssdabss
08-02-2003, 11:59 PM
no. I will buy oil and a filter in another car in the morning, change my oil. and take it to the dealer, just looking for third party insight on why the car has a 4k cut off as some kinda of defense mechanism.

civic hatch boi
08-03-2003, 12:48 AM
its no problem.. its cuz your oil is low. when oil is low, our cars can't pass 4k.

ssdabss
08-03-2003, 07:50 AM
it was the oil for sure. she runs like a champ now but I still don't enjoy the check engine light. The dealer will have to tell what code is being thrown on monday.

andy
08-03-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by ssdabss
it was the oil for sure. she runs like a champ now but I still don't enjoy the check engine light. The dealer will have to tell what code is being thrown on monday.

If the CEL is still on and it's running fine, it's just because
it hasn't been reset/cleared. Probably nothing to worry about,
but I'd definitely take it to the dealer (or someone with an
OBD-II reader) to get the code.

FWIW, you can just reset the ECU (unplug battery) to clear
the CEL light, but you won't know what the code was (not sure
if they are stored or not).

glw
08-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by ssdabss
it was the oil for sure. she runs like a champ now but I still don't enjoy the check engine light. The dealer will have to tell what code is being thrown on monday. it should clear itself after about 15-30 mintues of driving...

ssdabss
08-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by glw
it should clear itself after about 15-30 mintues of driving...

Both lights are off now. Thanks everyone!

redronin22
08-03-2003, 07:44 PM
if u like ot rev u better make it a habit to chekc oil at least once a week. These k series and f20c's are notorious for eating up oil.

eurosteez
08-12-2003, 05:52 PM
When I take hard right turns, My enginge light comes on and I cant rev past 4k either.I'll turn my motor off for a while and the tranny works fine but the engine light stays on for a few days and then goes away. I know a bit about cars and this is the wierdest thing I've ever seen. I have know clue why stress on the suspension would cause electric or mechanical probems. Next time it does this i'm going straight to the lame a$$ dealer.
Anyone have a clue?

bobdobbs
08-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Oil starvation.

myeverlovinsir
08-12-2003, 06:26 PM
Technically it's the vtec oil supply hose that is being starved. When
you run corners on low oil the supply hose is starved. It happend
to me a few months after I had her. It partially imobilizes your
ride and fuel cut is at 4k as stated. Oil change or sufficient replenishment and ECU reset are
all that is needed. It's a precautionary ECU setup that really does
no harm to your ride, it only makes it hobble until the above is
done. When it first happend to me I thought the engine was
wrecked but it's only an oil issue.

Brettnyt
08-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
its no problem.. its cuz your oil is low. when oil is low, our cars can't pass 4k.

For real? Very interesting....

cj miller
08-12-2003, 11:21 PM
good to know.

eurosteez
08-12-2003, 11:49 PM
good to know myeverlovinsir, that would explain why the engine light goes away after the car levels out for a few miles after a turn
im hittin 7k in my ep so oil is probably bordering low. guess I'll throw a bottle in til 10k checkup.
:)