PDA

View Full Version : Problems o' plenty

Beachya
08-04-2003, 06:58 PM
I have not looked under the hood in about a week now, but yesterday i noticed that their was grease splattered around the plastic boot right behind the driverside break setup. There is a small slit there, not sure how it came to be, but it's leaking. I have yet to feel/ hear anything strange while accelerating, shifting, breaking, or turning..but i do know that if i get dirt or any gravel in there I will most likely be replacing the entire setup down there. So my questions are:

Is this a common problem? what causes it?

How much am I looking at to get this fixed before it gets worse?

I am lowered, so should i not even bother with warranty?

Is this something I could fix myself (not using duct-tape as a long term solution), like following the same guidelines for a five lug conversion...would this be a useful diy tool?

In the mean time I am however going to slap some tape on that badboy, im driving close to 100 miles a day to/from work and Im sure that isnt helping, so please any insight would be great so i can resolve this issue. Thanx

David

!@#$%
08-05-2003, 12:13 AM
sounds like the CV boot on your axle has a hole in it. if so, you will probably need a new axle.

Mechanic
08-05-2003, 03:50 AM
Hard to diagnois yr problem fm yr e-mail (grease near a "plastic" boot" near the "break (sic) setup") .

I'm gonna guess you are describing the rubber cover over the universal joint where the driver's side axle enters the tranny (transaxle). If so, tape isn't going to fix it, even temporarily. The universal joint inside that rubber boot flexes constantly. As soon as the grease inside gets hot, it's almost fluid. That's why is running out. When it runs out completely (and there's not much in the boot to begin with), the universal joint will fail. Then you are talking real bucks. So, were I you, I'd forego any "hundred mile" trips until the boot is replaced. (The boot itself costs next to nothing, and the labor charge shouldn't run more than a couple of hours.)

As for the warranty, if you car is lowered to the point that the universal joint has to work at an extreme angle, any mechanic will spot that immediately, and it's even money as to whether Honda will consider the torn boot a legitimate warranty claim. ("Legitimate"=as a result by a defect in design or manufacture.) If you are a decent human being when you talk to the service writer, he may give you a break.

BSEVEER
08-05-2003, 01:25 PM
If it is a torn cv boot and you take care of it soon enough you might get away with only replacing the boot, not the whole axle.

blueiedgod
08-05-2003, 03:16 PM
I agree with posters above that it is most likely a CV-joint boot, and it needs to be replaced ASAP.

I tore my boo tin my CR-V ahile off roading, went to the dealer. They replaced the boot under warranty no questions asked. Of course my Vee is not lowered or anything.

If your dealer is nice, they will replace it no questions asked, they get paid no matter what by Honda corp. Of course if you lowered the car to the point that Cv-joint is flexing abnormally, then the new boot will develop a leak in short time.

Beachya
08-05-2003, 04:53 PM
Thanx for writing back all, I have two more solid days of work (sun up to sun down) so I'll have to catch a ride to work until friday. I went by a few shops today, the ones that were still open are going to have prices on an axel for me tomorrow morning. I also posted this same thread on another honda board, got a reply from someone that this has happened to twice already..has had the boots replaced...but it sounds like he's on the same axel...so if this is something that is going to be reoccuring i want to take care of it the right way. Im not sure if i want to even bother with trying to buy from the dealership...they'll rape me on the price for sure. as far as installing i have someone willing to help/teach me to install it.

any one know the average price i'll be looking at for this part?

Thanx,

David

blueiedgod
08-06-2003, 03:10 PM
according to my receipt form honda an outer cv boot for CR-V is $15, plus $80/hour labor rate they charged honda corporate $115 for boot replacement.

andy
08-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Beachya
...Im not sure if i want to even bother with trying to buy from the dealership...they'll rape me on the price for sure.

any one know the average price i'll be looking at for this part?

Thanx,

David

As far as your dealership, unless they can prove that something
you did to your car caused the problem you are having, you are
still eligible for any warrantly claim. This is a federal law. I can
find you more info on it if you want.
A service guy at my local Honda dealership told me, "Yeah, as
long as your car isn't totally slammed (i.e. Neuspeed drop) then
we'll even warranty your stock shocks."

Also, your dealer should be able to provide you with a free
quote (or a cheap one, at least), unless they are total d1cks.
They should be able to get you prices on the stock parts and/or
part numbers at the least.

Beachya
08-06-2003, 04:10 PM
during my lunch break i stopped on by the dealership. The service dept. said that the problem was caused b/c of my drop (neuspeed race) and have not replaced my stock shocks and the bumps inpact harder, etc.

But yes Andy, that would be great if you could get me some more info on how it's covered by law.

My situation with work hours, training, the drive to work, and not being able to miss any days puts me in a time bind so i'll be getting this fixed friday morning. Last night i did find a few very small rocks, and dirt in the boot, so im getting the axle replaced rather than just the boot. Honda wanted $936 for a new axle. But i found one with a life time warranty installed for $280 (good deal?)My plans were to buy the axle and have a friend teach/help me place it on, but he lives about an hour away...and he cant make it out my way and im listening to mechanic and wont risk driving that far.

Thanx again for the help all, i'll let you know how it works out.

David