PDA

View Full Version : How much neg camber with lowered ride height?

Burgh
08-05-2003, 10:47 AM
This may be a stupid question but bear with me - how much negative camber do you typically get when you lower the ride height? I'm just looking for an approximation, I know it will vary depending on how much you lower the car and what kind of suspension components you are using to lower it.

civic-si 2003
08-05-2003, 10:53 AM
ok if you drop your car to up to 2 inches then your negative camber will hardly do any damage to your wheels and lower control arm but over 2 inches you would need a camber kit

civic-si 2003
08-05-2003, 10:54 AM
negative camber

jerky
08-05-2003, 11:02 AM
if you drop your car, i don't care if it is less or greater than 2 inches, you will want to get a camber kit. i am dropped to about a finger gap all around, maybe 2 inches or so, and the rears are shot and the fronts are getting there. either you take my advice on the camber kit or not you are going to pay for it now or later anyway. if you wait til later you will have to buy new tires prematurely and the added cost of a camber kit. not to mention a shirt that says "i should have listened to jerky.";)

Suk02Si
08-05-2003, 11:26 AM
Depending on the drop.. about -2 in the rear and -1 up front

Burgh
08-05-2003, 12:20 PM
I WANT some negative camber, especially in the front. Don't care about the increased tire wear. It's toe that affects tire wear more so than camber anyways.

So if it's lowered 1", then camber = ???
2" = ??

glw
08-05-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Burgh
I WANT some negative camber, especially in the front. Don't care about the increased tire wear. It's toe that affects tire wear more so than camber anyways.

So if it's lowered 1", then camber = ???
2" = ?? mcpherson struts camber doesn't change much (if any) because of changing springs... you'll need either camber plates or the bolts.

i, too, am looking for about 1 degree of negative camber for the front. anything aftermarket other than camber plates are against the rules for scca solo2 sts class. i found factory adjustment bolts and am in the process of finding out if they'd be legal to use. i'm not sure how much adjustment the bolts allow, but it looks like less than 1 degree.

ps: it appears that the bolts will be legal for use next year (due to pending rule changes).

Suk02Si
08-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Cone killer found a Honda bolt a while back that he was able to use for the front.

Cone Killer
08-06-2003, 03:33 PM
The max you can get out of using 1 bolt is -1.8 and as far as I know they are legal in STS because they come from the factory. I have them up front and I might get a second bolt as -1.8 is still not enough.

glw
08-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Cone Killer
The max you can get out of using 1 bolt is -1.8 and as far as I know they are legal in STS because they come from the factory. I have them up front and I might get a second bolt as -1.8 is still not enough. cone killer - thanks for the info... but my service manual says it adjusts only plus or minus 30 minutes and the solo rule book 17.8C states that only camber plates can be used and 17.8E states other camber kits can be installed on non-mcpherson strut vehicles. am i missing another 2003 rule somewhere? i know they are considering changing the rules for 2004 to include the bolts on mcpherson struts, so it's virtually moot.

Ty's Si
08-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Cone Killer
The max you can get out of using 1 bolt is -1.8 and as far as I know they are legal in STS because they come from the factory. I have them up front and I might get a second bolt as -1.8 is still not enough.

I have been wondering where a second bolt would go if the camber from a single bolt is not enough. It appears that even with my bolts at max camber, it still looks a bit negative.

How would I go about getting more positive camber? I got my fronts form Comptech and I think they are +- 1.75 degrees. Would I need to replace that bolt with one that has more camber adjustment in degrees or just buy a second set and use the two together to achieve the proper camber adjustment?

Don't mean to digress, but others might be wondering the same thing.

Thanks.

Cone Killer
08-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by glw
cone killer - thanks for the info... but my service manual says it adjusts only plus or minus 30 minutes

Well...I have the bolts on my car and i have -1.8 with a drop from Progress. So with a drop you get more than the service manual says.

and the solo rule book 17.8C states that only camber plates can be used and 17.8E states other camber kits can be installed on non-mcpherson strut vehicles. am i missing another 2003 rule somewhere? i know they are considering changing the rules for 2004 to include the bolts on mcpherson struts, so it's virtually moot.

If you look under the stock rules in my 2001 copy 13.8 states "...no suspension part may be modified for the purposes of adjustment unless such modification is specifically authorized by the factory shop manual for non-competative purposes."

glw
08-06-2003, 10:29 PM
cone killer - excellent! i'll check out 2003, but i'm sure it hasn't changed from 2001. i may pick some up next week...

edit: 2003 rules are the same... and the bolts are about $4 each... so it's gonna be less than $20 for a 2 degree camber adjustment in the front. wow!