PDA

View Full Version : Cutting front struts to install Konis?

SVTNate
08-28-2002, 01:49 PM
Can someone explain to me why the front struts have to be cut to install the Konis? Is this because of the Koni design, or will every aftermarket shock require this?

I had planned on Konis and springs as the first mods when I get my '03, but I definitely hadn't planned on cutting the stock struts and adding Koni parts to create Frankenstruts. Will the full coilover kits from Tein be the same way?

fishboy
08-28-2002, 02:46 PM
i believe the teins have some kits with the upper mount so i am hoping we don't have to mess with our front strut. i just hope they will be available for our car. i don't want to cut anything on my stock struts.

Febrezee
08-28-2002, 03:35 PM
I will tell you in 2 weeks when I get my Tein in's...:D

fishboy
08-28-2002, 03:39 PM
lucky. does it have the mounts? are you gonna get the electronic damping force controller? i will get that for sure when i get my teins.

silver ep
08-28-2002, 07:13 PM
are they going to come out with a revised version of the Konis so you dont have to cut the front struts?

Febrezee
08-28-2002, 08:55 PM
Yeah.. Pillow ball mount and the EDFC... did the Flex system...

ColinCivicSiR
08-28-2002, 11:07 PM
I have spoken with koni about the inserts at length, I have gone through 2 front shocks already. I don't think the inserts that Koni is selling are the best for our cars. The stock shock has a very big bearing in the shock body to help with the loads put on while turning. the Koni shock does not appear to have this. One of my shocks came completely apart and I had a look at the inside bits. I asked Koni about a complete strut but they say it is too cost prohibitive because of them having to tool up for the steering arm that our strut body has.

fishboy
08-29-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Febrezee
Yeah.. Pillow ball mount and the EDFC... did the Flex system...

nice! :D let us know how it goes.