PDA

View Full Version : harnesses opinions?

J-SpEc Ep3
08-05-2003, 10:34 PM
hey everyone i jus wanted to get your opinion on what are some good harnesses to get. im really into the jdm theme so i was thnking about getting some takatas but 300 a harness is just way too much for me. i was thinkin of willans but im not sure about emm so any opinions ?
thanx

ssvr6
08-06-2003, 05:23 AM
Do you have a roll cage? Do you have aftermarket seats?

You need both to run harnesses.

Steve

Gasp23
08-06-2003, 06:22 AM
Yeah if you don't have what Steve metioned above this could actually harm you :eek:

Dunrick
08-06-2003, 07:42 AM
Unless its just for autox. The harness(s) need to be bolted in at shoulder level. So if you could get a custom bar across the car behind the seats, then it "MIGHT" be safe. We really need a professional's opinion on our car though.

Also our stock seats will work just fine, you need certain harness though.

ssvr6
08-06-2003, 08:17 AM
The stock seats aren't fine. You can't use a seat with a "single entry point" for both straps of the harness. It'll be squeezing the back of your neck.

It would be different if we had a regular head rest so that the straps could be on opposite sides of the metal posts. But the single hole poses a problem IMO.

Steve

bmx269
08-06-2003, 10:40 AM
There are 2 types of harnesses, caged and uncaged. If you have a caged harness, the harness mounts to the roll cage for the back belts. Uncaged version is bolted in the back, like a regular belt, but it must be at a proper angle. The best place is in the holes for the rear seat belt mounts. If the belt is on too steep of an angle, the belt could snap the seat in half in an accident, and cause you to die.

My harness and momo seat will be installed tonight, I will take pictures for you.

NamingException
08-06-2003, 11:02 AM
I've heard that there is exactly one single release harness that is street legal in a car. I don't know which one it is though. Can someone tell me?

bmx269
08-06-2003, 11:05 AM
Ya, its called the factory seat belt. Harnesses are not street legal. You should always keep you factory seat belt for daily driving.

glw
08-06-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by NamingException
I've heard that there is exactly one single release harness that is street legal in a car. I don't know which one it is though. Can someone tell me? schroth makes some harnesses that have dot approval. here is one over at subesports.com (http://www.subesports.com/products/?cartID=2003080613483468.5.106.54&cat=Harness+Belts&brand=Schroth&prodID=244).

J-SpEc Ep3
08-06-2003, 02:37 PM
w0w guys thanx for all the info !
but rigt now im savin up for either bride zeta II or the zeta III depending on price and availablity. as for the roll cage im jus lookin for a 4 point bolt in cage w/ harness bars but as of yet i havent found any.

NamingException
08-06-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by bmx269
Ya, its called the factory seat belt. Harnesses are not street legal. You should always keep you factory seat belt for daily driving.

If it's a one-button release, it doesn't make much difference, unless it's the sort of wreck where your body has to move out of the way to avoid getting crushed. Anyway, the point is that there are DOT approved harnesses that you can legally use for daily driving.

bmx269
08-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Here are my pictures of my seat and harness installed in my EP.

http://k-series.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=402&highlight=