PDA

View Full Version : HP header installed tonight

David K.
08-28-2002, 08:47 PM
Allright, I said I would post at 10pm and it's now 10:37pm; sorry for the delay. I got the header installed. No major probs.; pretty simple. A couple of the bolts were real tight and I got a couple of skinned knuckles but no problems other than that. Old part comes off/ new part goes on.

Note to potential dumb-asses like myself:

The stock collector gasket is reused on the HP header. When I took my stock manifold out the gasket (which looks kinda like a donut) came off with it; I didn't even notice. So when I fired up my car I had exhaust leak from hell. I had about decided that I got the wrong part or that something was missing, so I took one last look at the stock piece. The gasket came off in my hand. Oh well, it took a few extra minutes to go back and put it in.

Overall I like it a bunch. Little bit louder than stock and the mid range seems stronger. No noticable loss in low end power. It seems to rev quicker in second and third, too. I really need to spend some more time driving my car to tell, though. For the money I think it's a great buy. I wouldn't mind some instructions or a parts list from HP, though. Just a header in bubblewrap in a box. Guess thats all I needed.

2k2civicSi
08-28-2002, 08:50 PM
did you get the chrome one ???
i want the hp headers but im scared i will want somehitng nicer''namebrand''later so im hesitent to buy it

CgSi
08-28-2002, 09:05 PM
I doubt there will be that much of a difference in gains between each brand. Only thing I'd worry about is metal quality and how long it will last.

Can the heat shield be re-attached ???

Febrezee
08-28-2002, 09:13 PM
pics:confused:

SmoothOperator
08-29-2002, 12:44 PM
yeah let's see some pics....I want to take a gander at that header.

David K.
08-29-2002, 06:36 PM
Ya'll are askin the wrong guy for pics. I barely know my way around my computer, let alone how to upload, download, or link a damn thing. However SubliminalSi lives close to me and he has a digicam, so I can probably get something up for you.

I got the chrome one; It looks quality, I don't think the metal or coating will be a problem. You could definately wait on a nicer, name brand header, but I just don't think the performance difference is going to be significant. Our header is tiny; the HP header came in a box hardly bigger than a shoebox. I don't see how DC or Comptech's design has any room to be vastly superior, you know?

David K.
08-29-2002, 06:39 PM
Oh yeah, the heat shield does not reattach to the HP unit. Would have made for a killer look, really a "sleeper." You could probably bend and hammer on it and get it to work, but I don't know if it's worth it. As is it will not clear the outside primary tubes, plus the HP does not have the lower bolt holes that the factory manifold has for attaching the heatshield.

ssvr6
08-30-2002, 05:15 AM
What was your total install time (not including the second attempt)?

Did you just jack up the front on stands and work from underneath?

Steve

David K.
08-30-2002, 08:13 AM
Took me about two hours. Yeah, I just jacked up the front end.

ssvr6
08-30-2002, 08:23 AM
Cool. If you do get pictures taken, could you have some taken of your midpipe?

Also, what did your mid pipe cost you and where did you get it done? (Muffler shop or better?)

Steve

David K.
08-30-2002, 11:01 AM
I got my midpipe done at a local exhaust shop. Cost me 79.00 total. It's crush bent, not mandrel. It hangs about an inch lower than I would have liked, but it's ok for now. I plan on going with a 2.5" mandrel bent mid pipe when one is available.

ssvr6
08-30-2002, 11:10 AM
"Crush bent"? Is that the corrugated pipe?

Is mandrel bent just when they run the straight pipe through the "tube bender" to get the correct shape?

Steve

David K.
08-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Mandrel bending is the prefered way to build a performance exhaust system, because it doesn't kink or reduce in diameter thru the curves. Crush bent merely refers to the cheaper, more common bending done by most exhaust shops. In mandrel bending, an insert or "mandrel" is inserted into the pipe; it's kinda like a universal joint. It fits tightly inside the exhaust tubing and can bend in any direction. So when the exhaust is bent, the mandrel inside the tubing maintains the pipe diameter, even thru bends and corners.

With crush bending, a pipe will lose size thru the curves. For example, a 2.5" exhaust may neck down to 2.25" thru the bends; mandrel bending maintains that full 2.5" even thru the curves.

ssvr6
08-30-2002, 08:08 PM
THANKS! Finally an intelligent definition of mandrel bent.

Steve

zacmatios
09-11-2002, 04:02 PM
was the header 2 piece or 1???

civic hatch boi
09-11-2002, 04:33 PM
its a 2 piece, HP for base Rsx

David K.
09-11-2002, 07:14 PM
If it's a two piece then I'm missing part of mine because I got one piece in one box. I did notice on my receipt that it said two piece, but I assumed it was a typo. Who else out there has this header? Am I missing something? It's already on my car with no problems. The primaries are welded to the collector which connects directly to the factory cat pipe.

JSIR
09-11-2002, 07:18 PM
Nopi calls it two piece, and has a pic of the old b-series headers on their site, so yeah its a typo for sure, and even the pics are wrong if you go by Nopi. There is only one piece , same as stock and DC and Comptech. Spoon is the only one I know making a two piece header.

rocket_civic
09-12-2002, 10:07 PM
mine was one piece in a box as well, only other thing in there was instructions and bubble wrap (kidding about the instructions like they want to explain how to put it on.)

esmith13
09-13-2002, 07:03 AM
Did putting on this header affect you warranty??

I am very intrested in getting one but I was warned by a friend with a Spec-V that Nissan told him a header would void his Manufacturer warranty....

Anyone know for sure or ask Honda???

Thanks in advance...

greenguy
09-13-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by esmith13
Did putting on this header affect you warranty??

I am very intrested in getting one but I was warned by a friend with a Spec-V that Nissan told him a header would void his Manufacturer warranty....

Anyone know for sure or ask Honda???

Thanks in advance...

Do a search:) on "warranty" and you'll find the "magnus" (sp?) law that states the guide lines on warranty and what manufactures guide lines for voiding such things.

David K.
09-13-2002, 07:51 AM
Technically I'm sure it DOES void your warranty, but unless you have some sort of catastrophic engine problem I don't see them giving you any trouble. It's just a bolt on part. The best thing you can do is develop a good relationship with your service advisor. Find a cool one who is also into cars, I promise you it will be worth it. I had a 95 Z28 making over 305whp and I brought it in for all kinds of warranty work. It had an aftermarket cam and everything, but my service advisor was also into cars so he helped me out. The other benefit was that he steered my car to the cool mechanics, too.

So to sum up, if your dealership wants your business they shouldn't give you any flak about bolt-on mods. Hell, half the Hondas they see probably have something done to them.

esmith13
09-13-2002, 07:58 AM
how much of a performance difference is there if you already have an intake and exhaust and add a header? Just in general...

Is it worth the $$ up front or is it just opening the door for future mods that seriously benifit from a header upgrade...

SmoothOperator
09-13-2002, 12:44 PM
how much of a performance difference is there if you already have an intake and exhaust and add a header? Just in general...

miamijdm went form 138 hp bone stock. To 158hp (roughly) with a short ram intake, custom midpipe, and HP header. So there's about 20 horses right there. And yes, you'd want to get the engine breathing more efficiently before adding anything else (ie. turbo, supercharger)

David K.
09-13-2002, 02:19 PM
I noticed the header the least, but I also installed it last. Had it been put on first maybe it would have been more noticable. However, I am happy with it. At this stage I consider it "prep" for the mods to come. I'd say it's worth the money to do.

2002Si
09-20-2002, 12:26 PM
Unless!!!! What ever you put on the car makes it have problems. I talked to my honda dealership about this and they told me that you could only void the warranty if the part that you put on the car has caused it to somehow.....breakdown...

rick77f
09-20-2002, 09:21 PM
The Magnuson Moss act is the law pertaining to aftermarket parts and warranties. Do an internet search, there is plenty to read. My Honda dealer specifically told me that any aftermarket parts on my vehicle would void my warranty. This is incorrect and is against the law. If an item breaks, malfunctions, whatever...due to the installation of that part, you are liable. If you put a different shift knob on your shifter and your brakes stop working, you are covered. The law is very specific about this matter. Also, the dealer must PROVE that the part in question caused a specific fault.

NemesisITR
09-20-2002, 09:32 PM
My service advisor is really cool, she races her 2001 NSX at the Driver's Edge, and she encourages me to race and add things. Another advisor mentioned that if they do the work then they will warranty the car no matter what. He could be lying but what the hell!!

02-sir
09-21-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by NemesisITR
Another advisor mentioned that if they do the work then they will warranty the car no matter what. He could be lying but what the hell!!

No biggie, that's just because they're confident that anything they install won't be a problem.