PDA

View Full Version : 22mm RSX-TypeR Sway Bar Question

Slip_Angle
08-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Is the 22mm RSX-Type R sway bar safe to put on the EP from the perspective of damaging the mounting clamps and body? I've read it's a great upgrade but I've also read warnings about the bars ripping out.

Does anyone have some experience with this upgrade? Would using the 19mm RSX-Type-S sway bar be safer?

Thanks!

Civicvtec1ps
08-08-2003, 09:06 PM
i would use 19mm rsx type s sway bar, although you can go with 22mm and upgrade endlinks.

chunky
08-08-2003, 09:22 PM
i wouldn't swing the 22mm bar unless you're lowered with stiffer springs.

putting the 22mm bar on with stock springs will result in the sway bar working overtime, which places more stress on the mount points & endlinks.

GeNoZiDe
08-11-2003, 04:00 PM
theres a EP3 rear sway bar 22mm also ;)

JohnR
08-12-2003, 07:43 PM
I have the 22mm rear sway bar on my otherwise stock EP3. I didn't have to change anything and it bolts right in the existing end links attach from the control arm to the bar with no tension if the car is sitting flat on the ground which is where the suspension should be before it is finally tightened. The handling improvement is very noticeable, but ride harshness is negligible. the only thing you need are the 22mm bushings. I got mine from A&J Racing in Vancouver for $150 Canadian.

Joker
08-13-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by JohnR
I have the 22mm rear sway bar on my otherwise stock EP3.
I have the same set up, and have had no problems whatsoever.
Greg - who loves his 22mm rear sway bar, and got it from Mike at www.ipsracing.com :D
http://a7.cpimg.com/image/F7/39/20706807-bc5b-02000180-.jpg

Slip_Angle
08-13-2003, 07:35 PM
For those of you who have each of these sway bars, how much did it decrease body roll for you? Do you have noticable oversteer? Have you autocrossed with it? Stock tires? Stock springs?

Thanks!

chubbychu
08-13-2003, 09:18 PM
alright, so...lets recap!

19mm type-S is okay with stock endlinks and mounting points, and is a good improvement,

22mm Type-R is too stiff without upgrading links which are like really expensive. Where do you get them anyways?

so for a guy looking to spend about 100 dollars, which one is the more realistic purchase

Civicvtec1ps
08-13-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si

19mm type-S is okay with stock endlinks and mounting points, and is a good improvement,

22mm Type-R is too stiff without upgrading links which are like really expensive. Where do you get them anyways?

so for a guy looking to spend about 100 dollars, which one is the more realistic purchase
def 19mm set uup if you are willing to spend 100,
22mm might be too stiff for stock endlinks. tahts why people upgrade thiers. Hotchkis, member "grey" is working on custom endlinks which will cost less than 100 for front and rear endlinks. which is really good deal compare to Hotchkis

chunky
08-14-2003, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si

do you have much experience driving a FF car with a stiff rear end? the back end will come around more easily. the 19mm will also reuslt in a more slide happy back end, but nowhere as much as the 22.

unless you're autocrossing or just want a tail happy car, I'd do the 19mm.

however, if you are auto-x'ing, a 22 would be the better choice.

As for the endlinks and whatnot breaking, there are TWO reasons why sway bar parts break - 1) the bar is too stiff for the spring rates you have, which means the bar works harder to control body roll, which means more stress traveling through the endlinks. 2) Bars that have adjustable mount points for the endlinks to adjust the stiffness of the bar are terrible for endlinks. By changing the mount point, you change the stresses on the endlinks, causing them to twist, and eventually shear off right at the head or base of the endlink. The only ajdustable bar to have is the comptech co-axial rear sway.

BTW, i'm getting the 19mm bar today from a friend. 20 bucks with his rsx-s bushings. :D

02SilverSiHB
08-14-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by chunky

do you have much experience driving a FF car with a stiff rear end? the back end will come around more easily. the 19mm will also reuslt in a more slide happy back end, but nowhere as much as the 22.

unless you're autocrossing or just want a tail happy car, I'd do the 19mm.

however, if you are auto-x'ing, a 22 would be the better choice.

As for the endlinks and whatnot breaking, there are TWO reasons why sway bar parts break - 1) the bar is too stiff for the spring rates you have, which means the bar works harder to control body roll, which means more stress traveling through the endlinks. 2) Bars that have adjustable mount points for the endlinks to adjust the stiffness of the bar are terrible for endlinks. By changing the mount point, you change the stresses on the endlinks, causing them to twist, and eventually shear off right at the head or base of the endlink. The only ajdustable bar to have is the comptech co-axial rear sway.

BTW, i'm getting the 19mm bar today from a friend. 20 bucks with his rsx-s bushings. :D
yeah, I agree with what you just said. 22mm is probably too much for me, since I'm not a serious autocrosser. I go once and a while, but not that much. That's why I'll stay with my rsx-s sway. I'm actually using the stock si bushings still :o I need to get the rsx-s ones one of these days.

bensa
08-14-2003, 09:09 AM
I should be installing the 19mm later today :D

chubbychu
08-14-2003, 10:27 AM
alright 19 sounds good since im just looking for an upgrade and not a complete change out! thanks guys!

edit: all this convo was for the rear, what about the front sways? arent ours really thick already?

Suk02Si
08-14-2003, 11:32 AM
Our front is 25mm, pretty thick but fine for daily driving. I went with the RSX 23mm bar for now. If your just daily driving dont worry about it, the car will feel more neutral with the stockie.

Slip_Angle
08-15-2003, 08:24 PM
Installation went ok. The warnings everyone gave regarding removal of the end link bolts proved true for me! The drivers side end link bolts were a pain, however the passenger side was not so bad. In all, it took me 1hr. I didn't have a torque wrench so I just snugged them up pretty good, the end link bolts especially tight and the sub frame bolts fairly tight.

Driving:

I noticed the backend hooks up much better now. When I turn, the rear end reacts quicker and digs in to the turn, which provides more grip. Although I have not had the backend step out yet, I can feel it wanting to at the limit but I also noticed that the car doesn't push or under steer, it slides all four tires abit just before what I believe will be oversteer... Now, I'm also not running the stock tires as I have Yokohama AVS ES100's /w front tire pressure at 31psi and back at 33psi.

I do autocross and I think this bar will prove to be a much needed improvement. I'll let you know.

Although I don't have the 22mm bar, I think it would be too stiff for the current suspension setup, even for autocross. My feeling is that it would produce excessive oversteer unless different springs/shocks and tires were in play. Just a guess but I think it's fair. Others may have real experience contradicting this....

Anyways, I think this upgrade was an excellent performance modification for the price!

SiR

chubbychu
08-15-2003, 09:56 PM
NICE! im lookin to get mine soon too! yay

trabadoo22
08-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Good thread. I was wondering which one to get to. Thanks.

chunky
08-16-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by CDN-SiR-02
Installation went ok. The warnings everyone gave regarding removal of the end link bolts proved true for me! The drivers side end link bolts were a pain, however the passenger side was not so bad. In all, it took me 1hr. I didn't have a torque wrench so I just snugged them up pretty good, the end link bolts especially tight and the sub frame bolts fairly tight.

Driving:

I noticed the backend hooks up much better now. When I turn, the rear end reacts quicker and digs in to the turn, which provides more grip. Although I have not had the backend step out yet, I can feel it wanting to at the limit but I also noticed that the car doesn't push or under steer, it slides all four tires abit just before what I believe will be oversteer... Now, I'm also not running the stock tires as I have Yokohama AVS ES100's /w front tire pressure at 31psi and back at 33psi.

I do autocross and I think this bar will prove to be a much needed improvement. I'll let you know.

Although I don't have the 22mm bar, I think it would be too stiff for the current suspension setup, even for autocross. My feeling is that it would produce excessive oversteer unless different springs/shocks and tires were in play. Just a guess but I think it's fair. Others may have real experience contradicting this....

Anyways, I think this upgrade was an excellent performance modification for the price!

SiR

I agree that for the money (i paid 20 bucks) it's a great mod and will help a LOT at the auto-x v.s. stock.

But I still want to get the 22mm. The back end only steps out under lift throttle, full throttle around a turn, and it's pushing, although not nearly as much as before.

PogoFX
08-17-2003, 11:29 AM
So, where's the best deal on a 19mm rsx type s sway bar? I'm having trouble finding one online, just keep finding aftermarket.

02SilverSiHB
08-17-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by PogoFX
So, where's the best deal on a 19mm rsx type s sway bar? I'm having trouble finding one online, just keep finding aftermarket.
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp
Items 5 and 6 are what you'll need.

PogoFX
08-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Thanks alot for the help. I had trouble with your link, but found it nonetheless. Here's another link for those interested in the 19mm rear strut bar and bushings. Items 5 and 6 as previously noted.

02SilverSiHB
08-17-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by PogoFX
Thanks alot for the help. I had trouble with your link, but found it nonetheless. Here's another link for those interested in the 19mm rear strut bar and bushings. Items 5 and 6 as previously noted.

you're link is having the same problems as mine was. Strange that the site does that. It usually works

Suk02Si
08-18-2003, 01:26 AM
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/catimgs/13S6M01_B29.gif

There you go:D

chunky
08-18-2003, 07:56 AM
look around on rsx message boards or go to your local acura dealer.

it's best to pick it up locally from a guy who has upgraded his rear sway. then it's pretty worthless to him and he'll let it go cheap.

02SilverSiHB
08-18-2003, 12:08 PM
look around on rsx message boards or go to your local acura dealer.

it's best to pick it up locally from a guy who has upgraded his rear sway. then it's pretty worthless to him and he'll let it go cheap.
true, and the dealership may have it for just as much or less, and you can get it the same day, rather than wait for the delivery. Just depends if the dealership had them in stock or not.

chunky
08-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

true, and the dealership may have it for just as much or less, and you can get it the same day, rather than wait for the delivery. Just depends if the dealership had them in stock or not.

I think all total from the dealership the bar & bushings are like 60 bucks.

trabadoo22
08-18-2003, 03:19 PM
Man, the only dealership I know of nearby said it would cost $110 just for the bar and then $17 for the bushings. Ha, I think I'll try the online shop. Just wondering, has anyone ordered anything from this shop?

02SilverSiHB
08-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by trabadoo22
Man, the only dealership I know of nearby said it would cost $110 just for the bar and then $17 for the bushings. Ha, I think I'll try the online shop. Just wondering, has anyone ordered anything from this shop?
yes, I've ordered from them like 10 times in the last 2 years. I've never had a problem with them.

trabadoo22
08-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Ok, thanks alot.

SiBoy
08-18-2003, 09:45 PM
so how big is our stock sway bar?

SiBoy
08-18-2003, 09:49 PM
BTW hey john R do u also have the type r rear sway or anoterh aftermarket?

02SilverSiHB
08-18-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by SiBoy
so how big is our stock sway bar?
I believe our stock rear sway is 15mm, someone correct me if I'm wrong

Suk02Si
08-18-2003, 11:38 PM
yeah, 15mm rear and 25mm front. There should be a sticky for all sway bar sizes. :o

Suk02Si
08-19-2003, 12:02 AM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=19498

:)

02SilverSiHB
08-19-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=19498

:)
there ya go :D

bensa
08-21-2003, 08:24 PM
Okay a week after I said I was going to install my rear bar I finally did. 2 minutes after I picked up my RSX-S rear bar the power in Toronto went POOF! hence I couldn't get it installed... turns out no power in Eastern Seaboard! ....

Anyways got it installed first time upside down too a quick spin and went back... and now it's in place and noticable less body roll and the car just carves cornesr wooo wee! :p

Just need stickier rubber and I good to go

ConeCrazy02
08-23-2003, 12:08 AM
while we are on the topic of sway bar, ne one know where i can get an alternative brushing for the oem ctr rear sway bar?

JohnR
08-23-2003, 08:55 AM
I have had the 22 mm bar in my car for over a month now although I do not autocross I drive at the limits of my stock tires. With an otherwise stock suspension the 22 mm bar will react amost identically to the 19 mm bar. Ride harshness is negligible and body roll is minimalized. Now the car begins to slide but remains flat. In order to achieve oversteer an abrupt throttle lift or quick brake application to transfer weight off of the back tires is needed. Having said this with more aggressive front tires weight transfer may be to the point that the car will oversteer.

swatman
09-08-2003, 02:22 PM

I think all total from the dealership the bar & bushings are like 60 bucks.

Where on-line can I order a new RSX type-s sway bar and bushings for 60 bucks?

Thanks

civic hatch boi
09-08-2003, 02:29 PM
i dunno but i got my front and rear type S sways with bushings for $40 even :)

BlasTech
09-08-2003, 02:34 PM
I believe ES (energy Suspension) has a full line of rsx- poly bushings and they can custom size a set of D-bushings based on inner and outer diameter.

B18CXr
09-10-2003, 11:48 AM
stock end links will work fine on the rear 22mm Honda bar.

over 30K miles and 9 track days on mine.....zero problems

02-sir
09-10-2003, 02:09 PM
good to know Jack. I've always suspected that stock endlinks break because they run out of travel, and bind. This would be mainly caused by aftermarket bars not having the attachment points in the exact same position as the oem bars, or by bars that have multiple mounting points like hotchkis.

Afterall, the front oem endlinks don't look any stronger than the rear, and they are used on a 25mm bar. You seldom hear stories of those ones breaking.

Nick

Ocelaris
09-15-2003, 10:26 PM
I got the 22mm CTR rear sway on a while back, and it's helped ALOT. I got the Energy Suspension Bushings from JEGS online, I forget which size, but the energy susyension website tells you which ones you need based on the 22mm sized bar.

The ES poly bushings are nice and red (my choice), look like I have buckles when I look under her skirt :-)