PDA

View Full Version : getting bend over on my trade-in; what's a fair price?

natesi
08-09-2003, 10:18 PM
I'm trying to trade my 02 Si with 11,500 miles on it.

It has:
Clifford pager alarm ($700)
3M clear bra ($640)
Tints--all windows, legal ($240)
Side moldings ($120)
Mudflaps
Wheel locks
-------------------------
That's over $1,700 in extras.

They dealership won't even give me KBB, trade-in, in **average** condition, which is $14,040. Highest they will go is $13,800. It's close, but all I want is KBB, trade-in, in average condition, which I understand is industry norm. NEVER MIND I'M NOT ASKING FOR A GOD DAMN PENNY OF THE $1700 I PUT INTO THE CAR!!!!

So, anyway, I walked away from the deal. I may just accept it because i'm tired of this car shit. Do you think I am being unreasonable?

IceD out N CALI
08-09-2003, 10:34 PM
eps are soft-meaning nobody wants them, so 13800 is actually pretty good for trade in price. i'd say just take it, but negociate a real good price on whatever you're getting. BTW what are you getting?

natesi
08-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
eps are soft-meaning nobody wants them, so 13800 is actually pretty good for trade in price. i'd say just take it, but negociate a real good price on whatever you're getting. BTW what are you getting?

Don't laugh... A Hyundai Elantra GLS. They have been getting excellent reviews, especially for the price. And amazingly they are not too gutless; they get around town just fine, even with the air conditioner on. I negotiated one about $250 above invoice, plus they have a $1,500 factory rebate right now. But don't think the dealer isn't makeing anything, becuase he also gets a $244 hold back when he sells the car.

After about 5,500 down and eating negative equity on my trade, I can shave about $100/month off my Civic payment and put that into a retirement account. At least that's the idea.

The Si is nice, of course, but I really need to get my priorities in line. A car is just a car. Refinancing my civic wont' get me too far. Plus I'm tired of shifting--yea; i know--I suck.

IceD out N CALI
08-09-2003, 11:19 PM
well it is your life/money, but you know what you want. 13800 isnt all that bad for how bad the ep does on the market.

the ep has two problems i think 1) they sell well below the sticker new. and 2) a lot of people with the ep, already want to dump it. so many eps (per capita) on the used car market, futher lowers their value. seems like the ep has super crappy resale value

natesi
08-10-2003, 12:36 AM
well it is your life/money, but you know what you want. 13800 isnt all that bad for how bad the ep does on the market.

the ep has two problems i think 1) they sell well below the sticker new. and 2) a lot of people with the ep, already want to dump it. so many eps (per capita) on the used car market, futher lowers their value. seems like the ep has super crappy resale value

I live in SW Washington where the majority of people have never seen this car. I, myself, **might** only see 1 per month.

IchBinEinSiR
08-10-2003, 06:10 AM
You might lose less money overall if you wait a while to trade in your car, paying it down more, getting more use out of it, and perhaps getting better trade value, etc. I worked it out in my case, and I will be able to trade it in (or sell it) in 24 months and will do alright... as long as the market isn't soft.

I must say I am a little disappointed to hear that the SiR isn't selling well:

1. I think it's a great car
2. It's a Honda, and they have usually commanded good resale prices
3. As for resale, the Protege5's (a car that was one of my comparables) are selling for $1000ish less than MSRP, used for 1 year and with approx. 15000kms on the tach. Previous Honda hatches did the same... why not with the SiR?

blueiedgod
08-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by natesi
I'm trying to trade my 02 Si with 11,500 miles on it.

It has:
Clifford pager alarm ($700)
3M clear bra ($640)
Tints--all windows, legal ($240)
Side moldings ($120)
Mudflaps
Wheel locks
-------------------------
That's over $1,700 in extras.

They dealership won't even give me KBB, trade-in, in **average** condition, which is $14,040. Highest they will go is $13,800. It's close, but all I want is KBB, trade-in, in average condition, which I understand is industry norm. NEVER MIND I'M NOT ASKING FOR A GOD DAMN PENNY OF THE $1700 I PUT INTO THE CAR!!!!

So, anyway, I walked away from the deal. I may just accept it because i'm tired of this car shit. Do you think I am being unreasonable?

Take off all the extras and you will get the sme $13.8K but you can re-sell the add-ons privately and recoupe some of the $1700. As a general rule of thumb options and add-on do not add to trade in value of the vehicle. I learnt that long time ago. I had a civic Ex and a friend had a DX, both with 25-26000 miles. When we traded both got about the same $12 to $12.5K. The difference that I initally paid for the power everythig and sunroof, was lost on the trade.

SiMPLE_SiMON
08-10-2003, 06:56 AM
$13,800 is a great trade-in price. You'd have a hard time getting much more than $14,000 selling it outright. To have a dealer offer you that much isn't bad at all.

Since you can buy a BRAND NEW 03 for $16,000 now, a used 02 isn't worth much.

66elwood99
08-10-2003, 07:01 AM
How much will you save on insurance,if any? Is one considered a racing coupe (Si) and the other just a sedan? If your worried about trade-in value, what till you try to trade in a Hyundai.
A vehicle is the worst investment you can make, unless you have mad cash and but an orginial Shelby Cobra and park it in the garage.

Take off the extras that you can, and sell them here on epHatch.
By the way, what is this clearless 3M bra that you speak of?

Good Luck in the investment world with your retirement fund. With all the money I lost the last two years, I could have bought a S2000 and sent to Japan for a Type R. :(

siver-SI
08-10-2003, 07:14 AM
Do you have a Carmax or something like them out buy you? When I wanted to trade in my Grand-Am for my SI the dealerships would not give me crap for my Grand-Am so I went to carmax and they gave me about $1500 over blue book and over $2000 more then any dealership.

SiR Medic
08-10-2003, 07:45 AM
I just don't see the wisdom of trading in a Civic Si on a Hyundai ...

Sure, I'll be the first one to admit that Hyundai has come a long way in quality and reliabiliy. Hyundai, in my opinion has surpassed Ford and GM as far as quality is concerned, and they have one of the best warrantees in the business...

HOWEVER... Resale on Hyundais still suck balls! You might think you're getting bent over on the resale of the Si, but I suggest you check out the prices on 1 year old Elantras and see how much value they lose after just one year!

Also... Are you trading in a car you truly want and like for a car that's "good enough"? I made this mistake before when I sold my '87 Colt Turbo for a '89 Taurus. Yeah, the Taurus was good deal, and newer, but I would live to regret my decision for as long as I owned that POS.

If you want my honest opinion... I say keep the Si! Trading in a car you like and taking a bath on trade-in doesn't seem worth it for a measley $100 per month. Yeah it's great that you are concerned about the future... But I'm sure there are better ways to put $100/month away.

Don't sacrifice your happiness in the present to prepare for the future, it's just not worth it!

-Doug

02TafWhtSi
08-10-2003, 07:52 AM

I check my local classifidses every other day and I have YET to see an EP since they were introduced. Now, I don't live in some cattletown with 200 people. This is the NY/NJ metro area - I'm about 35 min from the city plus all the people in cental/northern NJ. Its crazy - either they really aren't selling or people just aren't getting rid of them :o

IceD out N CALI
08-10-2003, 09:18 AM
well i meant per capita, not outright numbers. Just "seems" that way. for how few eps there are out there, there "seems" to be a lot of used ones that people wanted to get out of already-not a good sign.

Joker
08-10-2003, 09:21 AM
I'd jump on that! Acura only offered me $14,000 for my 03 with 3,500 miles. So I'd say that $13,800 for an 02 with more miles is very good!

Civicvtec1ps
08-10-2003, 09:42 AM
seriously 13800 is kickass trade in value, i would jump on that if you really want hyundai,

natesi
08-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by 66elwood99

Take off the extras that you can, and sell them here on epHatch.
By the way, what is this clearless 3M bra that you speak of?

Good Luck in the investment world with your retirement fund. With all the money I lost the last two years, I could have bought a S2000 and sent to Japan for a Type R. :(

About the only thing I could really take off would be the mudflaps, which probably are not worth it. I can't really even remove the alarm system because the antenna is stuck to the inside of my front windshield, which is tinted. If I tried to remove it it would rip the tint out. So, I'm hosed.

The clear bra is a clear layer of acrylic that covers parts to the car. These links will give you and idea of what it is:
http://www.spyeng.com/clearbra.asp
http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?SSSSSSAzK12S4vTSevTSSSlgaco6666 q-

With the money I put down on my 02 focus, which was a lemon that I had to take a $4K loss on three months later, and the $5K I put down on the civic, and the $5K I'm putting down on my next car, I could have bought this Hyundai brand new with cash. Cars suck.

natesi
08-10-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
[B]

Sure, I'll be the first one to admit that Hyundai has come a long way in quality and reliabiliy. Hyundai, in my opinion has surpassed Ford and GM as far as quality is concerned, and they have one of the best warrantees in the business...

I totally agree.

HOWEVER... Resale on Hyundais still suck balls! You might think you're getting bent over on the resale of the Si, but I suggest you check out the prices on 1 year old Elantras and see how much value they lose after just one year!

An 01 Elantra with Auto still goes for about $9-10K. Seeing that you can get the same car new, after rebate, for $12,720, I'd say that's pretty good resale.

Take my 02 Civic Si, which is a $19K car, only a year old, and worth $14K. The Civic lost more value, which is EXTREMELY SAD.

I've called on cheaper Elantras, and everyone I've called on has a salvage title. So, $9-10K for an auto GLS is pretty accurate, at least in my area.

If you want my honest opinion... I say keep the Si! Trading in a car you like and taking a bath on trade-in doesn't seem worth it for a measley $100 per month. Yeah it's great that you are concerned about the future... But I'm sure there are better ways to put $100/month away.

Don't sacrifice your happiness in the present to prepare for the future, it's just not worth it

If you can come up with a better way to save $100 a month I'm all ears. I already have a room mate and pay pretty cheap rent for not living in the ghetto. I live one mile from work (hardly use gas). I don't drink, smoke, play the lotto, gamble, or go out to eat that much. I spend a reasonable amount on groceries. My insurance is about $85/month for full coverage and $500 deductables.

Second, I'm not very attached to the Si. About the only thing I wil miss is the power.... and the handling of course. But I'm tired as hell of shifting and the ride is too firm for my liking. So, I could stand to get another car.... Plus, I absolutely hate the ABS on our cars.

The Elantra is very comfy, comes in an auto, isn't gutless, and can be equiped w/o ABS. The warranty is very good also. Pretty much everything I need, if the build quality and reliability holds up. I don't see how it could possibly be worse than GM or Ford. Every used car I've drivin of theirs, or researched, has typical American car problems and have sub-par reliability. I'd never drive a Ford as long as I live anyway, after buying an 02 Focus that was a lemon. Yesterday I took an 02 Saturn L200 for a test drive--thing was a rattle-trap, fit and finish were horrible, and the driving experience was rather "ehhh". The Elantra is clearly a better assembled car with better quality materials and an outstanding warranty. I mean, beggers can't be choosers, in my price range. Recent model used hondas and toyotas are out of the question; they want way too much on the used car market for simple econo-boxes. Lancers are nice, but utterly lack any kind of power and handle like a pig in mud. I'm pretty sold an an Elantra.

bobdobbs
08-10-2003, 11:22 AM

...and the $5K I'm putting down on my next car...

...If you can come up with a better way to save $100 a month I'm all ears...

Umm, dude, that $5000 you're going to put down on the new car to get the $100 less per month is over four years worth of $100/month. It's even more if you invested it and got a moderate return.

Like others have said, it's your life, but this plan sounds a bit impulsive to me.

BlackNRedSi
08-10-2003, 11:57 AM
why in GODS name would you trade in a HONDA for a Hyundai ?! makes no sence whatso ever

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-10-2003, 12:16 PM
You people need to realize that our cars take a huge hit in value the first 1-2 years, then it will level off.
Your car may only be worth $14,000 after 1 year, but in another 3 years your car will still be worth $10-11k, easily.

I bought a 1996 Civic EX for $15,500 brand new.
After a few months I got sick of it and wanted to trade it in on a 1993 RX7, but was only offered $11,500.
I didnt want to take such a huge hit so i decided to keep my civic and just turbo it.

4 years later when I decided to trade it in (back to stock) it was worth still worth $10,000!

It's your car, do what you want, but i GUARNATEE you'll be kicking yourself later on.

blackyEP3
08-10-2003, 02:32 PM
If you live so close to work, why get a car?? Public transit will save you lots of $$$!!!

Really!! If you need a car, just rent one when you really need it! If anything, get an used car, that will save you tons of $$.

If I could live without a car, I would. It'd be 1/2 my month's pay I'd be saving in the bank!

JLannoo
08-10-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs

Umm, dude, that $5000 you're going to put down on the new car to get the $100 less per month is over four years worth of $100/month.

I had the same thoughts as this.

natesi. In another post you mention putting about $5500 down on the Elantra AND eating negitive equity (how much anyways?) on the Si. Thats alot of bucks.

You must REALLY hate shifting.

dj addicted
08-10-2003, 03:07 PM
your trade in value is about average. Keep in mind...dealers do NOT care about accessories! I work in the automotive industry and the value of vehicles go up by a minimun amount with addons. Also, yo might get a good deal on a hyundai...(by the way...$250 bucks over invoice for a hyundai sucks) I presonally wouldnt pay half invoice. Unless you plan on keeping that vehicle until the day it dies (which will be in about 6 years) you will lose your ass on it. If you try and trade that vehicle in 3 years later, they will give you about 3000 bucks for it. If you are looking for a 4dr sedan..look at either the accords, maximas, or something like that. Stay away from Hyundais, Kias, and Daewoos.

blueiedgod
08-10-2003, 06:11 PM
if you plop that $5000 you have for the Hyunday into your Si loan, your payments can be lowered by $100/month for the next 4-5 years. I think a better financial advice, if you got Si financed at 1.9%, would be to put that $5000 into the retirement account you were talking about. Even if you placed $5000 into a CD, or opened a savings account with INGDirect.com you can be rarning at least 3% annually. That si what I did. I decided that putting a big downpayment on such low interest rate is senseless. Placing the downpayment into INGDirect.com savings account already earned a few bucks for me.

natesi
08-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by dj addicted
your trade in value is about average. Keep in mind...dealers do NOT care about accessories! I work in the automotive industry and the value of vehicles go up by a minimun amount with addons. Also, yo might get a good deal on a hyundai...(by the way...$250 bucks over invoice for a hyundai sucks) I presonally wouldnt pay half invoice. Unless you plan on keeping that vehicle until the day it dies (which will be in about 6 years) you will lose your ass on it. If you try and trade that vehicle in 3 years later, they will give you about 3000 bucks for it. If you are looking for a 4dr sedan..look at either the accords, maximas, or something like that. Stay away from Hyundais, Kias, and Daewoos.

Most of us would lose our ass on our Civics, so I'm not sure what you're talking out. Wouldn't buy for half of the invoice price? Give me a break.

natesi
08-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by JLannoo

I had the same thoughts as this.

natesi. In another post you mention putting about $5500 down on the Elantra AND eating negitive equity (how much anyways?) on the Si. Thats alot of bucks.

You must REALLY hate shifting.

I owe $15,473.

Mostly I just can't see paying for something I don't feel that pasionate about.

bobdobbs
08-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Mostly I just can't see paying for something I don't feel that pasionate about.

Like a Hyundai?

natesi
08-10-2003, 11:36 PM

Like a Hyundai?

I'm more passionate about it than the Si. It's more "me"--no shifting, no ABS, nice ride, soft seats, bla, bla, bla...

Whatever. I know this is a civic board; look at my post count--I'm not stupid. I'm not trying to rally support for Hyundai either. I'm just stating how I feel. I'm obviously different than you, and if you can't understand that, then there is nothing I can do about it. My priorities are different, okay?? Hyundai is just basic transportation; which is what I'm looking for. Cut me some god damn slack FOR THE FUCKING LOVE OF GOD!!!!

= )

:angel:

Yes; a Hyundai!!!

If you're focusing on the brand you're missing the point of my whole post anyway.

natesi
08-10-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by blackyEP3
If you live so close to work, why get a car?? Public transit will save you lots of $$$!!!

Really!! If you need a car, just rent one when you really need it! If anything, get an used car, that will save you tons of $$.

If I could live without a car, I would. It'd be 1/2 my month's pay I'd be saving in the bank!

That's actually not a bad idea, but realistically I need a car. I'd drive something old if it was in good shape and reliable. I just can't find anything like that.

bobdobbs
08-10-2003, 11:51 PM
My priorities are different, okay?? Hyundai is just basic transportation; which is what I'm looking for.

I thought you were looking to save money (?).

I think you're going to ignore everybody's good advice here, buy that Hyundai, drive it for a year, and lose even more money trading it in when you realize you're not happy with it either.

Have you considered Xanax would be a lot cheaper? ;)

natesi
08-11-2003, 12:07 AM

I thought you were looking to save money (?).

I think you're going to ignore everybody's good advice here, buy that Hyundai, drive it for a year, and lose even more money trading it in when you realize you're not happy with it either.

Have you considered Xanax would be a lot cheaper? ;)

Let me break it down for ya, ***real*** simple like, okay?

I'm looking to save money. I need basic transportation.

natesi
08-11-2003, 12:11 AM

Have you considered Xanax would be a lot cheaper?

I'm assuming since you are familiar with it, you must take it?

Muahahahahaaa!!!!

I have no clue what that is, but if it will cure what I have, then "yes"--give it to me baby!!!

bobdobbs
08-11-2003, 12:16 AM

Let me break it down for ya, ***real*** simple like, okay?

I'm looking to save money. I need basic transportation.

Clue: You have basic transportation. You act like you're getting rid of a Ferrari.

I'm not sure why I'm arguing with you because I really don't care how you spend your money and you seem pretty closed-minded anyhow. But, you will not save money with the Hyundai. You will lose money on your trade-in and you will have another large outlay of cash to get the magic "$100 less" payment every month.

If you haven't noticed, interest rates are incredibly low right now and it's far better to put down as little as possible and get a low interest rate and use your capital in more productive ways. You should be using someone else's money to have a car in your driveway.

Please, flame back.

natesi
08-11-2003, 12:20 AM

Clue: You have basic transportation. You act like you're getting rid of a Ferrari.

I'm not sure why I'm arguing with you because I really don't care how you spend your money and you seem pretty closed-minded anyhow. But, you will not save money with the Hyundai. You will lose money on your trade-in and you will have another large outlay of cash to get the magic "$100 less" payment every month.

If you haven't noticed, interest rates are incredibly low right now and it's far better to put down as little as possible and get a low interest rate and use your capital in more productive ways. You should be using someone else's money to have a car in your driveway.

Please, flame back.

Not a flame, but I'd say you're the one who is close minded if you are still focusing on the fact I wan't to buy a Hyundai. I'm the one trying to think outside the box a little bit. But what ever...

bobdobbs
08-11-2003, 12:33 AM
Not a flame, but I'd say you're the one who is close minded if you are still focusing on the fact I wan't to buy a Hyundai. I'm the one trying to think outside the box a little bit. But what ever...

You're the one focusing on the Hyundai. It doesn't matter if you buy a Hyundai or a Rolls-Royce, you are NOT going to save money by trading in your Si. You are upside-down on your loan: You owe roughly $1500 more than it's worth. That's the first problem. The second problem is you will be spending another $5000 to get "$100 less" every month. That's $6500 out of your pocket to get $100 less every month. You won't break-even until after five and a half years!

If you don't like your Si, why don't you just say so and say you're willing to lose money to get out of it? I feel you. I dislike the car I bought 4 months ago and I'm selling it, even though I'll lose money. But, I'm not deceiving myself (like you are) by saying I'm doing it for my retirement.

swapp99
08-11-2003, 12:53 AM
Get what you can for your trade. Cars are the worst depreciating assets you can have. If you really want to save money on your monthly payments..lease it.. what ever it maybe. Look around for the best lease program..ie: Small drive amount, short term lease(36 mos) and at least 12,000 miles per year. I know people don't like the word LEASE but, if you are on a budget it helps and also you can keep more of your money in the bank.

Dealers are always making money. I know beacuse I sell cars for a living( ACURA'S) If you think $250 over invoice is a good deal and with rebates... try offering the deal for $500 below invoice and with all the rebates. I bet you a broker will take that offer!! I have friend that work for auto brokers they can get most of these type of cars far below invoice. These types of cars, Toyota's, Nissans, and Hyundai's have a much large profit margins and incentives.

Being upside down on your car is a BITCH but you got to do what you need to do to get out of it. GOOD LUCK

IchBinEinSiR
08-11-2003, 04:20 AM
I will not focus any attention to the fact that you want to buy a Hyundai... but up here in Ontario, Canada these things depreciate at a horrid rate, and though all cars (except the rarest of rare) are a loss (investment wise), you should be looking at maximizing the use you get out of it for what you are paying out. If you have lost money on a Ford, are losing money on the Si (if you trade it) and are putting money down for the Hyundai, all in the space of a year or two... please stop! Unfortunately, you must take a stand! The only way to save some real money for the future would be to stop spending it on nothing. If you keep the SI for another two years, you will get good use from it and will have more equity in the car than you owe, and can then trade it in for whatever you want. But, if you really want to save money for the future, try to keep the car for twice the period of the loan you took out, so if its 4 years, keep it 8. The car will have payed itself off twice by then (in use), you will have had 4 years of no car payments, and you will still get some trade in value when you buy a new car. Ever buy a used car? In the past I have bought 8 year old cars, drove them for 2 years and sold them again for a similar price to that which I payed for it. Therefore only loosing maintenance and insurance costs. By keeping the car you reap a similar benefit. If you trade it in now, it will take you 4 years just to recoup the downpayment, at which point you would already own the Si anyway and would be making no payment, and still have that $5000...

Getting out of your Si is not a sound financial choice... at least now.

blueiedgod
08-11-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by swapp99
Dealers are always making money. I know beacuse I sell cars for a living( ACURA'S)

Hey, is it realistic to get TSX 6 spd, no navi for invoice? what about after new TL comes out?

As far as the NateSi's dilemma, I think he has to learn for him self, he has pretty much made up his mind.

Although I don't think LEASING is an answer. Imagine NateSi was leasing the car, it would have been much more difficult for him to get out of it, it would cost more than $1500 on depreciation. Leasing is a good alternative to people who base most of their financial decisions on monthly payments alone. I am sure Swapp99, will agree that most sales people would rather use monthly payment as negotiating tool than selling price.

NateSi, first of all if you had a lemon Focus, you should have persued your state's lemon law and have Ford buy the Focus back from you for whatever you paid for it, plus refund the payments and donpayment and intrerest you already plopped into Focus.
Then you bought the Si by trading Focus upsidedown, plopped more money.
Now you are getting the Hyunday and plopping more money down. It does not matter whether you get a Hyunday or Mercedes at this point, you have a trail of negative equity.
I think that whatever you get you better make sure it will last at least 5-6 years and you will like driving it for the next 5-6 years to eliminate the negative equity trail.

dj addicted
08-11-2003, 06:47 AM
definately can tell that he has made up his mind. Good luck to youand I do hope you enjoy your elantra... I hope the Si goes to a good home.

BlackNRedSi
08-11-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by blackyEP3

Gotcha! I didnt realize it was for saving money, i thought it was for a sportier car or something!

Good idea!

Eric

SiR Medic
08-11-2003, 07:22 AM
I think this is the only time I have ever disagreed with Natesi!;)

Now I'm not going to rag on Hyundai... They make some decent cars. Not great cars... But decent...

But...

Everybody here is making a sound point Nate... You already took a bath on the Focus... You are willing to take a bath on the Si... Will you be trading in the Hyundai in a year?

If you REALLY want to save money... Get a USED Hyundai! You would save literally THOUSANDS of dollars. The car will already have the brunt of depreciation gone.

Whatever you do... If you decide to keep the Si, get a new car, or get a used car... KEEP IT THIS TIME. You are losing a LOT of money on these transactions.

The average car being produced today should last at least 15 years. If you buy a car new, or even slightly used, there is no reason why that shouldn't last you that amount of time. That's enough time to pay off the car, and save up to buy your next car in cash.

By buying and trading in cars once a year, YOU are the one who is paying for the largest chunk of depreciation on a car. Conventional wisdom states that any car depreciates by 1/3 AS SOON AS YOU DRIVE IT OFF THE LOT. So far you have driven 2 new cars off the lot in 2 years and are looking for a 3rd.

Car dealers LOVE people like you... You buy a car, don't like it, so you trade it in after a year. They make money from selling you the car in the first place, then they make money by selling you the second car, THEN they make a ton more money when the sell your barely used 1 year old car to somebody else!

Now I don't know what the tax situation is where you live, but up here, we pay 15% tax on new vehicles and used vehicles. I can only shudder when I think about paying 15% on 3 vehicles in 3 years!

IceD out N CALI
08-11-2003, 08:05 AM
ever considered like a used older honda? maybe 6th generation auto 4-door sedan? you could probably get one for same price or cheaper than the hyundai and its already taken its hit in depreciation? just a thought (thats all)

swapp99
08-11-2003, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blueiedgod
[B]

Hey, is it realistic to get TSX 6 spd, no navi for invoice? what about after new TL comes out?

Well here is the story in short about the TSX... IMO..It's a great car being that its only a four banger. You really can't beat what the TSX has to offer. NO way you can get the TSX @ invoice...not meaning to yell:D We here at the dealership can't keep them instock. The TSX very limited availabilty!!! and also there is a waiting list for them. If the timing is right you can prob get $500 off sticker. Like most of Acura's line up there is a small precentage mark up from invoice to sticker (approx 8%). ACURA=VALUE

The NEW TL will be GREAT. From what I hear...MSRP. $35,000+ up
No Type S. Hp is 270. AND 6 speed available!!:p :p

More info to come after I get to do the RIDE & DRIVE in a few months.

phatsi
08-12-2003, 05:30 AM
im trading in my 02 ep with 11,000 and honda is giving me 14,000 for it. they are the lowest at that number, vw dealership said 15,200 which is crazy but at honda i am getting an 03 for only 15,400 because of all the trouble i have had with my 02 but i have driven so many other cars and the si is still the favorite to me.....

IceD out N CALI
08-12-2003, 06:12 AM
wow 15k for an ep, which dealership giving you that much?

natesi
08-12-2003, 04:14 PM
My internet has been down since 10am yesterday (Comcast sucks).

Anyway, I may keep the car.

I didn't plan on getting a new car in another year though--I'm not sure where that came from!

= )

I was just thinking I could invest some of the money I have now into a retirement fund.

I think one reason why I want to lower my payment so much is because I'm afraid of being unemployed again. I hate unemployment. Uggg...

My job and employer suck major ass. I can't stand it there. Some days I wish they would lay me off, but of course I'd probably regret wishing that later with a $270 car payment.

Anyway... I was thinking. I wonder how hard it would be to add a RSX auto tranny to our car? I may start a seperate thread on that...

Cause if I got a Hyundai I would spend more $$ on a stereo and tints... and I don't really want to do that.

I've been lookign at used cars and used Hyundais but they are all so thrashed its rediculous. No one takes care of their cars man!! To tell you the truth, I'm just tired of it all. I wish I could have clean dependable transportation; that's all. I don't care if the car has window cranks or is from the 80s.

Anyway, for now I think I'll take a breather and think this over.

Thanks for the input everyone.

-nate

lastsaga
08-12-2003, 06:08 PM
hm.. i may be new to this board but in my humble opinion, i think it's a bad idea to trade in the Si now. i think some of the other people mentioned this, but although the Si might take a big hit after that 1 year you have the car, the overall value after several years should stay pretty decent. i agree that buying a new hyundai probably isn't the best idea.

if you really don't care about what kind of car you get, as long as it's comfortable and reliable, even if it is several years old, there are a lot of options available to you..

have you considered an infiniti g20? the p10's (mid 90s) are good, and the p11's (99-01?) go for only $10k

that's luxury, decent engine, and pretty good styling for 10 or under.

p11 g20
http://www.g20.net/gallery/data/2/33normal.bmp

IchBinEinSiR
08-13-2003, 04:21 AM
:eek: Oh my god... all this non Honda brand talk!;)

handurass2u
08-15-2003, 08:54 AM
trading your car is very bad idea if u ask me. so many people thinks changing a car will save money. unless u trade for a real cheap used car. what r u thinking? u gonna lose about 4k from the ep. then u'll lose another 4k from the new car after a year. that's 8 k u'll lose in the first year. if u keep your ep u won't lose as much. the resale of any car drops the most the first year. u want to get 2 new cars in 2 years and have 2 drops and the hydai i'm sure it will drop more. think about it.............. maybe that didn't even leave a dent. go to what ever the hell u wanna do but think before u do.

natesi
08-15-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by handurass2u
.....maybe that didn't even leave a dent. go to what ever the hell u wanna do but think before u do.

What

the

hell????

And maybe you don't know how to read. I clearly stated I **never** had any plans to trade my next car in after a year. That's absolutely crazy. I have no idea where that came from to begin with.

People need to read and comprehend posts before putting up BS. This is one of the reasons why people never get anywhere in some topics/threads. Please stop focusing on post count and more on actually reading the content.

:(

Anyway, I'm keeping my car for now. I just started my Roth IRA yesterday.

Thanks,

-nate

bobdobbs
08-15-2003, 11:11 AM

People need to read and comprehend posts before putting up BS.

[snip]

Well, obviously a lot of people did comprehend what you wrote because something (probably us, I think) convinced you to do the smart thing with your money, invest it. Congrats on the Roth IRA. The best thing you can do with your money is give less of it to the government. ;)

natesi
08-15-2003, 11:33 AM
You like to argue, don't you?

handurass2u
08-15-2003, 11:53 AM

What

the

hell????

And maybe you don't know how to read. I clearly stated I **never** had any plans to trade my next car in after a year. That's absolutely crazy. I have no idea where that came from to begin with.

People need to read and comprehend posts before putting up BS. This is one of the reasons why people never get anywhere in some topics/threads. Please stop focusing on post count and more on actually reading the content.

:(

Thanks,

-nate

did i say u are gonna trade in your next car in a year? i meant the value of your next car will drop no matter u trade it or not. maybe u should learn how to read first before u say that to someone. else.

bobdobbs
08-15-2003, 12:04 PM
You like to argue, don't you?

Yes. Don't take it personally. ;)

natesi
08-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by handurass2u

did i say u are gonna trade in your next car in a year? i meant the value of your next car will drop no matter u trade it or not. maybe u should learn how to read first before u say that to someone. else.

"The value of my next car will drop no matter if I trade it or not"? No shit. But it's impossible to "lose" 4K, or any money, on a car until you **sell** or **trade** it.

A loss cannot be "realized" until an item is sold. Trust me.

IchBinEinSiR
08-16-2003, 04:21 AM
Kill this thread before it spreads...