PDA

View Full Version : paying for brand name

pLopSI
08-11-2003, 09:57 AM
A friend of mine told me that big name companies such as Mugen, Tein, etc. products aren't built themselves. For example, I was planning on saving up for the Mugen sport suspension kit but the friend told me that all I would be paying for is the Mugen name. He said that they pay other companies such as Koni or Eibach for their parts, and just slap their name onto the parts. He got his info from other forums.

Can anyone verify this information?

Suk02Si
08-11-2003, 10:03 AM
A lot of older Mugen parts are re-packaged OEM Honda Parts. Like USDM parts that aren't offered in japan are re-packaged by Mugen and sold to the japanese.

Also, Spoon doesn't make most of the products they sell. I Think kg/mm makes their springs, everyone knows that desmond makes their wheels, etc..

REVwheels
08-11-2003, 10:06 AM
im not too sure on mugen..but im almost sure tein has their own facility. Many companies do this though...RH 1pc wheels are made in taiwan. while their 3pc "racinghart" are really made in japan. Tenzo and Axis are made by a factory in taiwan named Lenso. you'd be surprised at how many major companies use taiwan as a source of manufacturing. Skunk2 used to do all their products in house here in the united states. but now use a factory in taiwan. products are still very good.

BlasTech
08-11-2003, 11:48 AM
I think the Mugen suspension is made by Showa, who makes our stock shocks, but to Mugens specifications and standards.

SiMPLE_SiMON
08-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Showa makes the Mugen and the Spoon struts.

SiR Medic
08-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Mugen simply does not have the resources to build all these parts in-house.

Neither does Honda.

Honda wheels are made by Enkei, radios by Alpine (I think), etc.

What companies do is design the specs and get some company to make it to those specs.

Peking
08-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Yeah, that how a lot of companies opperate. Cost effective, but don't let that sway you from buying those products. Not to down anyone who buys APC or Reactive, but even though products seem similiar. I would buy a more expensive part, just for the admiration of " Oh is that Mugen" or "Or those Tein coilovers".