PDA

View Full Version : Dealership replacin struts

kenis138
08-12-2003, 06:07 AM
hey guys, i guess this has been a problem for lots of 01-02 civics, i know a few people on this board are having issues. That strange little clunk/rattle I was having turned out to be exactly the same thing as JSIR, defective strut. They are on order and will be replacing them. My windshield on the other hand...bastards...:mad:

Type X
08-12-2003, 06:28 AM
i had mine replaced in the beginning

i THINK my rear right one "same one as before"

is going again

:mad:

STP03BlueSI
08-12-2003, 11:41 AM
what is happening with the struts?:confused:

kenis138
08-12-2003, 12:09 PM
knock/clunk/rattle sound when going around corners slowly over uneven pavement. You'll know if you hear it.

fongitis
08-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Is the dealership replacing just the strut damper unit or the whole strut spring damper assembly? Are you using aftermarket lowering springs? I'm just wondering, because my left strut assembly knocks when I turn my steering wheel left or right and whether the car is moving or not. My si has CTR springs.

IchBinEinSiR
08-25-2003, 03:08 AM
I had that sound develop on my EP3 after about 11000kms and have brought it in to be looked at. They right away removed the strut and inspected it. The bearing looked fine but the spring had abviously been turning in the spring perch as it had worn through the paint on both the strut and spring.

They called Honda Canada, and I am not sure what they were told, but they heavily greased the mount bearing and the spring where it sits on the perch and... it is worse than when I brought it to them! Needless to say I am booked for another visit tomorrow, but plan on calling today to find out what they plan to do, as I feel the only way to solve this is to at least replace the mounts and struts on both sides.

I also think that I may need new springs. If the coating is worn off, the spring can corrode much faster...

Do you think Honda would make a pay out in leiu of replacing the front struts and springs? If so I could use that towards a Mugen spring/strut set...:)

Tenacious G
08-25-2003, 08:29 PM
i also had this clicking sound coming and the dealership replaced my front left strut. no more noise, and i've been noise free for about 2K miles now. only problem is the tech didn't bother to do an alignment afterward, so my steering wheel is about 10* off-center to the right. it sucks, so i'll be getting that fixed when i take it in for the 10K mile checkup.

and i doubt honda will pay you in lieu of fixing the strut.

IchBinEinSiR
08-26-2003, 07:43 AM
Honda called today and let me know that they are going to replace the whole strut assembly, but only the right side. They will not replace the left unless/until it starts making noise as well.

The idea of a payout was a "pie in the ski" thought...

Tenacious G
08-26-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by IchBinEinSiR
The idea of a payout was a "pie in the ski" thought...

it would be a nice alternative seeing as how i'll eventually be going w/ an aftermarket spring/shock setup.

PRODIUS
08-27-2003, 07:57 AM
I had both front Struts replaced at 8000KM. No problems since.