PDA

View Full Version : Got rear ended, have question.....

BlairSpeed
08-13-2003, 09:44 AM
So i pull up to a stop sign waiting to turn right. I wait for a break in the traffic to pull out and as I do, I notice a car coming really fast so I stop. Well, the guy behind me thought I went (and didnt look ahead) and he accelerated into my bumper. Scared the shit out of me!! :eek: I got out and looked at the damage and it was just some paint chips off the bumper, no dings just some paint missing. I got the guys info and we went out seperate ways. He was really apologetic, so i wasnt too pissed.

Anyways, I call is insurance company and they tell me that the car that I described which hit me, is not the car this guy has covered with his insurance. Meaning that it wasnt his car. So the lady was trying to tell me that I might have to find out who the owner of the car is and call that guys insurance. Is that right? Is insurance covered by the car or the driver?

Either way, someone (not me) is paying for my damages. :'(

MPBSi
08-13-2003, 10:46 AM
That sucks man. I think it depends on the state, whether insurance follows the car or the driver. I'd call your insurance company and find out, that's probably the fastest way to know for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance company you called is trying to scare you off - it seems they always have some excuse the first time you try to file a claim why they can't or won't do it. I've had good luck just letting my insurance company do the fighting for me in cases like this, since they have as much interest in getting someone else to pay for repairs as I do ;) but how cool they are about helping probably depends on your agent/company.

Brettnyt
08-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Ah, same thing has happened to 2 member of my family (when being rear ended it was for the same reason) def call the guy and see whats the dealio, yo.... How bad is your car?

jerky
08-13-2003, 11:17 AM
yeah, definitely call your insurance company and they will handle it. don't let them scare you. i got rearended once by this dumb girl and it turned out she was driving her uncle's car. her uncle calls with his wife on the phone wanting me to say that it was actually his wife who was driving because the niece wasn't covered under their insurance. i said, "nope, sorry i already called the insurance company and gave them all their niece's information." they were freakin. then they asked how much it would cost to fix my car, i said "the dealer gave me a 9 grand estimate." they started yelling and stuff, not at me maybe at each other. then the lady says, "my niece said it was just the rear bumper." i said, nope she also plowed my car into another car and my front end was fucked and leaking radiator fluid." they freaked alittle more and said some shit like they didn't believe me about the damage. i said "dude that thing better get paid for. it was fucked up for your niece to not pay attention and rear end me." she hit me while i was stopped at a light. anyway, i was kinda flustered after the whole conversation, but my insurance handled it. i don't know how, hopefully they got the money straight from those people.

BlairSpeed
08-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Okay, so I called the lady at USAA insurance (the other guy's company) and she told me that she hasnt been able to reach the guy yet and still isnt sure if the car that hit me is covered under them or not. She said she would keep trying and will call me back.

My dad told me to make sure my insuracne company didnt find out cause even though it wasnt my vault, they still make a record of me being in an accident and that could hurt me down the road. Anyone know if this is true?

SinisterCivicSi
08-13-2003, 05:16 PM
insurance companies insure the car thats being driven, not the driver. already had this discussion with my insurance company a few years ago.

rusaccord
08-13-2003, 05:57 PM
It can hurt you down the road. If you have something like 3 or more accidents within one or three years (can't remember which), you will be declared a high-risk driver (they figure using bullshit statistics that you put yourself into these high-risk situations and manage to bail out by it being someone else's fault every time), and your insurance goes up. Call your agent to find out.