PDA

View Full Version : how much does a good paint job cost?

JaycivicSi
08-14-2003, 09:17 AM
i bought my car used and there are scratches all over. and since ive owned theres been tree sap, bird crap and just this morning someone egged it so the paint is in pretty bad shape. the second i noticed the tree sap i tried cleaning it off but it already did damage to the paint. so i was wondering how much a paint job would run me? would it be more if i wanted a different color then i had? if i just got it resprayed black would it be cheaper??
thanks for the info in advance.

-jay

87gn
08-14-2003, 02:35 PM
a GOOD paint job will be any where from 2000-3000 bucks alittle higher if you go all out show quality, all depending on the paint you use, if your cars gota be stripped to bare metal, if theres any issues with the body that needs to be delt with and what "extras" that needs to be painted.

i payed around 2 grand for a base clear wet sand and buff and hand layed pin stripes. randy charged me 150 for each pannel that needed to be stripped and i left the door jams and trunk the way they were. hes about 1/2 the price of other body shops in my area i was quoted up to 5 grand by another body shop for the same paint job and his work is no where near as good as randys is. i also had the leverage of several of my friends seeing my car drag racing a ss camaro about 45 miles from where the car was suposed to be:eek: can we say black male:D

the only diffinet way to get a awnser to this is to check around with a few body shops BUT remember you get what you pay for. dont go the cheap route on things like paint work.

IceD out N CALI
08-14-2003, 03:24 PM
at least 2grand for a paint job. I was going to repaint my old 1989 black si, granada black pearl (factory black) and thats about the average i was quoted

SinisterCivicSi
08-14-2003, 06:23 PM
dont laugh but my old civic got a paint job (same color) from maaco for 450 including clear coat and 4 year warranty. the paint job never faded, chipped or looked cruddy. it was a great paint job, considering maaco's reputation. however, i hear that the one i went to is the only one in this area that does good work, the rest do shitty paint jobs. guess i was lucky.

if your going for the same color to a private shop, yeah prepare to dig deep.....your gonna pay. but a custom paint job is like 3K (around here )so its all on what you want and the area.

87gn
08-14-2003, 06:53 PM
before i was given my old cutlass they did a cheap job like that on my car and then with in a month the car nailed a deer at 70 so a new header pannel, hood, bumper, door, and several other things had to be replaced. hart olds (i think) did the repaint of the front end with in the same month. by the time i sold the car the good paint still looked new and the old paint had oxidized to a shade of white

JaycivicSi
08-15-2003, 06:18 AM
yea sinister i was actually thinking of maaco. ive got a volvo c70 and its got 206,500 miles so i dont think i can justify paying a couple grand for a paint job. and if the maaco paint job would last a few years id be set b/c it will only last me 4 years at maximum. anybody think that sounds like a good idea to go maaco?

-jay

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-15-2003, 09:08 AM
maaco for beater cars. ($189-500)

REAL autobody shop if you like your car. ($2000-3000)

If you go to Maaco for anything, do you self a favor and prep the car your self, wetsand it, at least in the corners, so the paint sticks....my old 86 CRX Si came out really nice that way.

SinisterCivicSi
08-15-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by JaycivicSi
...and if the maaco paint job would last a few years id be set b/c it will only last me 4 years at maximum.

-jay

thats actually not true. i think it had ALOT to do with where i went in regards to location. this one particular maaco does great work.....as opposed to just about any other location. not sure why they have better paint jobs.... but my husband had his car done there first....that was 6 years ago and it still looks like it did when they painted it. he has never had any paint come off during waxing or chipping, fading, none of that.

my old civic actually got a better paint job than the dealer. i had the "camilla red" (purple w/ some red flake) paint job and the one they put on the car looked awsome, it had more fleck and really brought out all the great colors.

it all depends on what you wanna spend. if i am going to pay over a grand for paint, i am going custom. i cant see paying that much to just match it.

JaycivicSi
08-15-2003, 01:06 PM
yea im really not too sure what i want to do yet. my cars got 200,000 miles so i dont think i could spend 2 grand on a paint job for it. im not sure yet. keep the opinions coming tho, im located in the eastern part of CT so if anyone knows of any good shops for cheap, tell me. thanks

-jay

GeNoZiDe
08-18-2003, 08:55 PM
my paint job was 10k Canadian
White / Blue repaint every where
+
Custom Airburshing the entire car
+
3 Stage pearl
+
4 layers of clear coat
+
White/ Blue Interior + pearl

BlackNRedSi
08-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by GeNoZiDe
my paint job was 10k Canadian
White / Blue repaint every where
+
Custom Airburshing the entire car
+
3 Stage pearl
+
4 layers of clear coat
+
White/ Blue Interior + pearl

of course it was....look @ all the stuff they did to your car...i think he is just talking about a regular person paint job...not an all out 'car show' car...

MrCivic03
08-31-2003, 06:08 PM
hey i have some scratches from road debri like small clear coat scratches what would be best to do for this. my sister has a infinity and they have like 4 coats or clear coat while hondas have 1. this sucks on my part. so do u think the scratches will go away if a nother coat or two of clear coat was put on. i am not goin to repaint bc my car is a 03 and it is like 3 months old.

StrangeShadow
09-21-2003, 04:26 AM
a GOOD paint job will be any where from 2000-3000 bucks
:eek: :eek: :confused: give me the primered si w/a2 any day!!! no wonder so many of these guys run around with half-way painted :confused:

Tnhatch03
09-22-2003, 03:17 PM
meico.....less than a g. it might sound off tha wall, but they do just as well imo