PDA

View Full Version : few questions on shifting

pLopSI
08-14-2003, 09:52 AM
I find that when I upshift before 3000-3500 rpms, I normally get smooth shifts. Meaning very little friction. But if I bring the rpms up high n' then upshift, it tends to be a little rough. This is my first stick car so I'm not really sure how it's supposed to feel. I'm nearing 5000 miles on my EP. I've heard of others having problems when they shift such as grinding. So is my car driving normal or is the problem related to everyone else's?

Also, a question about rev-matching. Does anybody rev-match? I pretty much rev-match all my downshifts. Has anyone actually gotten rev-matching 100% down? I mean, in a way that ur car doesn't wobble or kick back after the downshift.

mental
08-14-2003, 09:54 AM
you have down syndrome....
get that checked!

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-14-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by mental
you have down syndrome....
get that checked!

and i'm harsh? haha
that's wrong dood.

yes, that is normal what you're feeling shifting at high rpm.
basically what rev matching is, is knowing what gear to drop in while downshifting.
not that hard really.
if you know what each gear's mph @ redline is, you should have no problem rev matching.

civic hatch boi
08-14-2003, 11:18 AM
once you d/s and rev match, it should be smooth.. so that their is no jerk.. u should just see ur tach go up. i healtoe all my turns, and rev match all my downshifts.

pLopSI
08-14-2003, 11:24 AM
cool guys. Thanx for the info on downshifts. But how bout the upshifting? Do u guys get a rough feeling when upshifting at high rpms?

STP03BlueSI
08-14-2003, 11:48 AM
I get the same thing and i am at 958 miles. had the car for 2 weeks now
:)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by pLopSI
cool guys. Thanx for the info on downshifts. But how bout the upshifting? Do u guys get a rough feeling when upshifting at high rpms?

yea i told you thats normal.
your car's gonna jerk if you're shifting at high rpm...
quick shift and it wont be as bad.

Mugen Power
08-14-2003, 11:55 AM
Hold up, when you say rough feeling, are you talking about the cark jerking or the notchy/grindy feeling in the shifter?

pLopSI
08-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Mugen Power
Hold up, when you say rough feeling, are you talking about the cark jerking or the notchy/grindy feeling in the shifter?

The notchy/grinding feeling.

sonic imperial
08-14-2003, 11:59 AM
My car jerks a little during high rpm shifting sometimes because I just can't shift it perfectly. I've been driving stick for years and this car is really picky for some reason. I just can't seem to rev match perfectly each time, it may be close, but even if I'm 100-200 rpm off it will be just enough to cause that little jerk. My downshifting is the worse though . For some reason, when I downshift to second, I always hear some weird clunky sounds in the front end right as the clutch engages, but if I give too much gas it revs too high and then the tach drops back down all of sudden when you take your foot off the clutch. Ticks me off because I've had the this car for 20,000 miles and still can't do it right.

Mugen Power
08-14-2003, 12:05 PM

The notchy/grinding feeling.

Quite a few of us have the same problem. It's gotta be a design flaw... just waiting for Honda to admit it and give us a decent fix. :p

pLopSI
08-14-2003, 12:09 PM

Quite a few of us have the same problem. It's gotta be a design flaw... just waiting for Honda to admit it and give us a decent fix. :p

oooo... so i take it that this problem isn't the same one where everyone is goin in to get their synchros replaced. Eh well... jus as long i'm not the only one.

pLopSI
08-14-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by sonic imperial
My car jerks a little during high rpm shifting sometimes because I just can't shift it perfectly. I've been driving stick for years and this car is really picky for some reason. I just can't seem to rev match perfectly each time, it may be close, but even if I'm 100-200 rpm off it will be just enough to cause that little jerk. My downshifting is the worse though . For some reason, when I downshift to second, I always hear some weird clunky sounds in the front end right as the clutch engages, but if I give too much gas it revs too high and then the tach drops back down all of sudden when you take your foot off the clutch. Ticks me off because I've had the this car for 20,000 miles and still can't do it right.

Yes yes... I too have the same trouble as you but I mostly get the smooth downshifts. A lot of times, my car doesn't jerk at all. Every time i successfully downshift w/out jerkin, i feel so proud about myself. But sometimes, my car does jerk. That's normally when I'm tired or lazy to shift correctly.

Mugen Power
08-14-2003, 12:16 PM

oooo... so i take it that this problem isn't the same one where everyone is goin in to get their synchros replaced. Eh well... jus as long i'm not the only one.

Nah, that's the same one I'm talking about. Too bad my dealer didn't find anything wrong with it. :'(

I'm going in for service soon so I'll have them take a look at it again.

pLopSI
08-14-2003, 12:36 PM
Well, I called up honda to schedule a service appointment. I didn't know that there was a 3700miles service to be down. But that's not the point. The guy I talked to said that the resistance I feel when shifting was a normal thing and that's just the way the transmission worked. So i don't know. I don't really find it that big of a deal but I'll talk to them again when I go in.

Mugen Power
08-14-2003, 12:55 PM
3700 mile service??? I don't think our cars require that... I know for sure that I didn't go in for that.

The first scheduled maintenance that I'm gonna go to is the 10k mile one. I'm almost at 9k and my maintenance light is flashing.

Maybe your dealer's trying to pull one on you or the tech you spoke to just doesn't know. My dealer tried to get me to schedule a 7500 mile maintenance but I was pretty sure that 10k is the first one...

$kraps
08-14-2003, 12:57 PM
I have the same problem with the notchy grinding feeling if im driving hard and going into second. The more i read i think everyone has this problem.

pLopSI
08-14-2003, 07:38 PM
3700 mile service??? I don't think our cars require that... I know for sure that I didn't go in for that.

The first scheduled maintenance that I'm gonna go to is the 10k mile one. I'm almost at 9k and my maintenance light is flashing.

Maybe your dealer's trying to pull one on you or the tech you spoke to just doesn't know. My dealer tried to get me to schedule a 7500 mile maintenance but I was pretty sure that 10k is the first one...

Well, i told the service guy i didn't know and asked how much it would cost and how long it would take for my car to be serviced. He told me that since my car was purchased from their dealer, then the service would be free and that it would merely take an hr. So I was like, what the hell, sign me up for an appointment.

Mugen Power
08-15-2003, 08:00 AM
Dang, my dealer didn't offer me anything like that. But at any rate, it's free, so why not. I just wonder what they're gonna do, check your fluid levels?

dj addicted
08-15-2003, 08:36 AM
Thats wierd.. When I bought my car...they introduced me to the maintenace dept and they specifically said "see you in 5000 miles". They probably just top off your fluids. My 10K only cost me 25 bucks. Of course, it was just an oil change and tire rotation. They also did there inspection on everything else and they didnt say anything about my intake exhaust or rims and tires. They did check to make sure everything was hooked up correctly. Im really happy with our department here.

sniperSI
08-15-2003, 08:49 AM
well let's see , as far as the grinding goes. I just got my car back from honda last night, the service write up said 3rd gear syncro ring was what they replaced, and let me tell you.

MY CAR FEELS LIKE NEW!

The clutch is tight again and the gears are smooth so so smooth. I guess they had to re tighten all the cables after overhauling the tranny, and they unhooked the battery (reset ecu), and i swear my car feels way more peppier.

and as far as shifting goes, if your just "Clutch in, slam gear, clutch out" then you are shifting like shit and need to learn how to finesee the gear shift. Driving good and hard and fast does not mean you have to slam gears and make the car rock like a rocking chair.

Pretend your in an M5 and shift your SI as such. I promise you won't be any slower doing quick proper reved shifts compared to slaming the stick in every gear.

pLopSI
08-15-2003, 09:14 AM
guys guys... my car only occasionally jerks during downshifts because i don't blip the throttle enough to rev-match. Upshifting is fine for me w/ the exception of the grinding. i don't slam the gears under normal driving conditions. I jus ease the gears in.

sniperSI
08-15-2003, 09:52 AM
guys guys... my car only occasionally jerks during downshifts because i don't blip the throttle enough to rev-match. Upshifting is fine for me w/ the exception of the grinding. i don't slam the gears under normal driving conditions. I jus ease the gears in.

oh...

my bad

:)

Mugen Power
08-15-2003, 11:12 AM
Man, my 3rd gear is always rough but now my 2nd is starting to get notchier than it used to be, just over the past week. 4th is almost always perfect, 5th is a bit notchy, but not really crunchy like 3rd. 1st is crunchy, too. I hope I get a different team to look at the car when I go in for the 10k service. Maybe they'll agree that there's a problem. :'(