PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on installing rear 19mm type s sway?

chubbychu
08-14-2003, 04:15 PM
i finally got ahold of one, now all i need help in is installing, i went to k-series to see if they had one, nope they didnt, so im turning to you guys. I am not mechanically inclined at ALL so please break it down 4 me, thanks!

andy
08-14-2003, 05:13 PM
I just did this the other day...figured it'd take me 15 mins and it
ended up being closer to an hour.

Here's what I would suggest:

1) Jack the car up. Just makes it easier. Use a piece of wood and
just jack up somewhere on the rear (that looks like a piece of
the frame and not the exhaust ;) ).

2) The endlinks are sort of a pain. You have to use an allen
wrench to hold the bolt in while you take it off with a 10mm (I
could be wrong...think I needed 10 and 12mm). This is what
took me so long, because I was just turning the bolt and not
making any progress...doh!

3) Make sure it goes on the right way. haha, it would be hard to
put it on the wrong way, but just don't bolt up the tie bar area
first, then do the endlinks.

4) Lastly, be sure to torque everything to spec (yeah right, but
I had to say it) and to do give each bolt a turn or two, then go
on to the next bolt, then to the next, etc. So that everything will
sit tight and not be off.

It's a really cool mod, especially for the money. I'd take an
off ramp at about 40-45 before I put it on and now I can take
the same ramp at 50+ without any problem/fear.

Have fun...

EDIT: There are other, less wordy instructions somewhere on
here...hence how I knew to start on mine. A search will probably
find them - try "rsx AND install".

dustinhurley
08-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Grease up the bushings and torque to spec. I didn't do this at first and had some clunking noises.

chubbychu
08-14-2003, 06:06 PM
? hm....what is torque to spec....i mean what is spec?? also, is it necessary to jack up the car? i have a strange fear of that

dchu
08-14-2003, 08:55 PM
Wrap the bar where the bushings go with a couple layers of teflon tape. It lasts longer then grease.

02SilverSiHB
08-14-2003, 09:17 PM
Sorry I can't of much more help...but when I put mine on, it was pretty striaght forward. Took me about 15minutes and I used the stock bushings, that cost me the extra 5 minutes :)

You'll need an allen wrench to keep the nut from moving while loosening it at the end links.

Other than that, that's about it. The rest is easy. I didn't grease mine with anything and I have no noise from the sway...it's been about 10 months now.

chubbychu
08-14-2003, 11:46 PM
oooo....getting under the car is creepy. lol anyways, uhm...whats this torquing business that no one is answering about. also, what kind of grease do i use? i have some white lithium stuff...is that okay?

man im nervous about installing it myself, but i dont want to have to wait for days to have a shop install it and than charge me 50 bucks for labor lol.

think honda will do it for me?

Suk02Si
08-14-2003, 11:51 PM
no worries man, its pretty straight forward.

02SilverSiHB
08-15-2003, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
oooo....getting under the car is creepy. lol anyways, uhm...whats this torquing business that no one is answering about. also, what kind of grease do i use? i have some white lithium stuff...is that okay?

man im nervous about installing it myself, but i dont want to have to wait for days to have a shop install it and than charge me 50 bucks for labor lol.

think honda will do it for me?
honda will rape you for installing it. It takes all of like two minutes. You have one bolt on each endlink and one on each pushing. That makes a total of 4 bolts. As for torquing...I never did torque mine. If I had, I would have torqued the bushing bolts to 40lbs. As for the endlinks, I would just tighten them until the are snug and then do a half a turn to make sure they are secure.
Just get under there and take a look, it's so easy. It's like changing a tire, but easier.

raiyo
08-19-2003, 01:58 PM
check out my post on the review page about installing my ctr sway. make sure u put it on the right away, cuz it will also fit if u did it wrong.