View Full Version : Please help... I'm really in need... transmission really messed up

DHeffernan
08-14-2003, 10:23 PM
Hi guys,
Here's the problem... ok driving last night, all of a sudden I couldn't go into 4th gear, and still can't. I checked to see if any lines were in the way, but they weren't, and I've had a few friends to look at it. All the other gears work fine, and always have, until now... Now, like many of you, the gears occasionally randomly grind... even when I'm driving normal, or spirited, but mostly 1-2 and 2-3... never 3-4... so I don't think that it's the syncros that are out. There are 8k miles on my car, and it's a little over 5 months old. I went in to honda, to try and see what was the matter, and they told me that they'd take a look for me, so I decided to take my car more back to stock. I have an AEM CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, and Rota Slipstreams. That's it. So I decided to take the CAI off, since it was close to the transmission. I went in, and right away the guy gives me crap about how "modified" my car is, so I told him, well just tell me if you can cover it, and we'll go from there. He calls me back later and tells me that to see what's the matter, he has to take the tranny out, so I said, well yeah... I figured as much... and he said but it will cost you if we feel like you've been racing it. Now I told him, I don't race it at all, but I have had problems with the transmission grinding, and he told me that if there are syncros out in any gear, that it won't be covered and that he will charge me 450 dollars just to simply tell me what's wrong with it. If it's a normal defect, then it's covered, otherwise I'm out of pocket. He also told me that to rebuild it would cost $1800-2400. I don't have that kind of money just laying around... He gave me so much crap about my tires... telling me that I've been driving the crap out of my car since they're so bald... which they're not that bad... but I bought them with like %40 tread on him... and told him this... and he was like well, it doesnt mattter, you also have an exhaust, that means that you've been racing it... all with my dad by my side. So then I explain to him that I've been having problems before, and he askes me do you KNOW what a transmission does? and I got really pissed, and asked me about 4 or 5 times. Guys, I'm not retarded... I work at a shop on cars... I know a thing or two... and I told him this and he kept telling me, do you know what a transmission does... so I said just fuck it, give me my keys. Now guys, sorry for the long story, but here is my plan... I'm going to put my original rims and tires with like 2k wear on them, and my stock exhaust back on and go to a DIFFERENT dealer...
Has anyone at all had this problem? Please, anyone know what could cause this or what I should do? This just isn't fair, so if anyone could please give me some advice, I would be more than welcome.
Thank you all

bobdobbs
08-14-2003, 10:44 PM
It sounds like you've got a plan. You never have to do anything a particular dealer says. Take it to another dealer. They'd probably be happy for the warranty business. They don't do it for free.

DHeffernan
08-14-2003, 10:56 PM
Hey thanks man, yeah I hope I'll be ok, it's just really frustating.. I'm having my dad go in by himself, and say it's his car... that way they don't talk down to him... that guy was such a prick... he was like did you learn to drive on this car? and I was like no... I'm nearly 19.... ah well, I'm leaving for college out of state ... let's see, tomorrow. How safe is it to drive... anyone know? Thanks for the replies!

bobdobbs
08-14-2003, 11:21 PM
If it was my car, I'd have the tranny fixed before driving it long distances. Sounds like you have a cool dad, so you're better off having him help you before you head off to school.

kenis138
08-15-2003, 05:44 AM
definitely go to a diff dealership. some of them are really cool about bolt ons. My dealer didnt say a thing bout mine, theyre still replacing my struts, no questions asked.

dj addicted
08-15-2003, 08:32 AM
about the telling you they wont cover it under warranty because you have been racing it?? Well, they somehow have to PROVE that you have been racing it. Tires and exhaust are not proof. Also, you can always talk to his boss if you have to go back to that dealership. Also, they have to prove in writing that your aftermarket part is what caused 4th gear to go out. I dont see how any of your bolt ons would cause that. Remember..everybody at the dealership has a boss, and unlike a lot of companies, in a car dealership you can talk to the owner and bitch him out to get things fixed. Trust me, they want your business.

sniperSI
08-15-2003, 08:56 AM
DOOD FUCK THAT GUY Do not be a worked consumer.

#1 my car has mods and they overhauld my tranny and replaced shit with no questions asked.

#2 do not let him belittle you ask to speak to the service manager, if that doesnt work the lot manager and if that doesnt work the lot OWNER, i'm sure he would love to know how his customers are being treated. Point out to him how his service person berated and belittled you. let him know what a shit job his company is doing and how you are writing honda and calling them asap unless you can get this shit resolved

#3 raise fucking hell, tell them that you car is sold as a "sport inspired car" and i dont' care what the service tech "feels" i don't even care if he thinks i raced it. The car is under warrenty and should hold up to scrutiny for at least 36,000 miles and if it doesnt HONDA is gonna fix it FOR FREE.

God damn i hate it when people get dicked around and fucked over. I mean your plan will work but I would be super pissed at this honda service dept and cause problems because you paid good money for a good car and it should FUCKING WORK!

p.s. i have that 4th gear problem as well sometimes. but it seems to have gone away since THEY HAD TO OVERHAUL MY TRANNY man honda service techs are pricks. Stand up for your consumer rights. If you are having problems with your tranny, unless you have a HEAVILY modifed car they can't say shit and that's the law. Mods don't void a warrenty.

BlackNRedSi
08-15-2003, 09:34 AM
I am @ a loss of words, i so 150% agree with sniperSI

do what he said, and give them hell!!!!!

Mugen_EP
08-15-2003, 09:51 AM
Thanks Sniper!! You typed what I was to lazy to.:D Great points made & I agree 100%

bobdobbs
08-15-2003, 09:51 AM
Everybody should bookmark the SEMA page on warranty law. When in doubt, read it:

http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=22238

In fact, print it out, and keep it in the glove box for a-hole techs who think they can punk you.

Brettnyt
08-15-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
It sounds like you've got a plan. You never have to do anything a particular dealer says. Take it to another dealer. They'd probably be happy for the warranty business. They don't do it for free.

I second that! They always assume that we know nothing...

shimmy_yaz
08-15-2003, 01:39 PM
um yeah, what sniper said.

DHeffernan
08-15-2003, 02:40 PM
hey, thanks a lot guys.
i actually took my exhaust off and put my original rims that have like 2k miles on it back on... so my car is completely stock minus the red h steering wheel emblem and the rear strut tower brace, so I think I'm good to go. Im just about to bring my car into a different dealership that didnt mention "hot rodding" one time... so it looks like that will work, thanks so much for all of your help! and dont worry, I will raise hell, even from another state!

the JigGa mAn
08-15-2003, 06:55 PM
so what lemme get this right...you dont have to take your car to the dealer you bought it at to get it fixed under warrenty???? damn i didnt know that..good to know

natesi
08-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Well, if you would quit racing it......

I mean, do you know what a transmission does?!! Well, do you?!!!??!!

:p

kidding!

DHeffernan
08-15-2003, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I know, seriously. What really got to me is that he called it "hot rodding" arg that really bothers me for some reason haha. But yeah, jiggaman, you can go to ANY honda dealership, not just the one that you bought it at for any kind of service, hope that helps. Thanks for the replies, guys. The car is going in to be checked tomorrow, bone frickin stock. See ya

kpxplaya415
08-16-2003, 01:30 AM
hot rodding eh?

doesn't your Si have a hemi?
PURE HEMI POWA!!!!!

SilentGiant
08-17-2003, 03:35 PM
yeah...

my car has troubles sometime going from 2nd to 3rd..not quite as bad as yours..as I can still use it....I took it in to get checked and they drove it for 5 mins, came back and said we'll order you a new third gear and synchro.

Parts were back ordered for 3 weeks...going in tomorrow for my warranty work...finally!

too bad you had to deal with a crappy service department....hope it all works out for you.

:(

DHeffernan
08-21-2003, 08:03 AM
UPDATE: they said that as long as the rods arent broken, then it is covered... anyone think they are? wont shift into 4th, thanks!

DHeffernan
08-22-2003, 10:21 PM
yayyy its covered and i get her back next weekend... that is the LAST time i go mudding in my civic... promise this time