PDA

View Full Version : new brake pads on the way.

chunky
08-15-2003, 09:50 AM
So I was having some odd brake pad wear. the front right pad had about 1/2 the pad of the front left, and the rear left pad has significantly more wear than the rear right.

so for some reason, the front right and rear left are wearing faster than the other two corners. It makes sense though since the brake system typically balances the load by opposing corners.

But It put me in a situation where I needed new pads badly. The front right was worn to about 1mm from the backplate on the inboard pad, the outboard pad had about 3-4 mm. so stock pads went on to hold me over till I can get new front pads.

I thought about going with the r4s again, but I think i'd actually want something that's a little more agressive, and maybe has a stronger bite. The porterfield r4 was my first thought, since it's just like the r4s in terms of bite/release but just has higher peak friction levels and higher fade threshold. So I turned to my other favorite as far as brake pads go - Performance friction. I'm going with the performance friction 01 compound pads. They're gonna have to be made by Porterfield so the price goes up a bit. But hopefully they'll be worth it. High, flat friction levels, awesome fade resistance, and it claims to have good initial bite at ambient temperature as well. It's a full race compound that has cold bite. let's hope it's true. :)

For the rear pads, I went with the porterfield r4. The main reason for that was cost. the 01 compound would be over 100$ for the rear. the r4 are right at 100 bucks for the rear pads. And the rear pads don't get as hot, so i didn't really feel that I needed the extra benefit of the 01 compound pads.

Anyhow, i'm stoked. I can't wait for the pads to get here middle of next week. :D

till then, i'm the squealing black egg. (the rear pads are at the wear markers and they make the most horrid noise).

Peking
08-16-2003, 07:04 AM
Sweet, how was the life of the pads you have now. How was the amount of brake dust?

chunky
08-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Atlas1133
Sweet, how was the life of the pads you have now. How was the amount of brake dust?

the r4s pads were good. I really like them as an all around pad. The dust level isn't bad until you start getting on the brakes. then you get a nice dark colored dust on your wheels. which isn't too bad, makes 'em look powder coated.