PDA

View Full Version : lugs nuts for ssr comps suggestions

tony speed
08-15-2003, 11:06 AM
I'm currently using honda wheel locks and lug nuts but I don't really think they fit quite well. Anyone have any suggestions on what type of lug nut I should use. I've considered kyokugen, mugen, skunk2, and volk. Also, anyone have any color suggestions (red, black, silver, bronze)? I have a black si with gun metal wheels.

And I have no idea what kind of wheel locks to buy that would fit...

Mad02Si
08-15-2003, 11:18 AM
Any tuner style would look nice, but you need to get some different lugs cause the stock lugs aren't tapered to seat properly on aftermarket wheels. Eventually vibrations could cause the lugs to loosen and fall off. I have Spline drive style and then a hex head tuner lug for a lock on each wheel. I dont feel 40-90 bucks for lugs is necessary, just make sure you have a good lock on them.

tony speed
08-15-2003, 11:41 AM
found a previous thread. thanks

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12604&highlight=lug+thread

chunky
08-15-2003, 12:40 PM
definitely get some new lug nuts.

those bluge seat lug nuts will destroy aftermarket wheels designed for a conical seat lug nut.

I have the mcgard spline drive lugs on my car. they're not the most secure, but if someone really wants your wheels, they'll just take the whole car.

They are relatively light, and are pretty much the cream of the crop in the lug nut world.

tony speed
08-15-2003, 01:48 PM
yep. I'm going with the spline drive chrome color. I figured chrome would more match the silver outer lip of my wheel. I'll but back on the ones tire rack sent me when I get home. They were cheap as heck. Bending and rusting......

chunky
08-16-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by tony speed
yep. I'm going with the spline drive chrome color. I figured chrome would more match the silver outer lip of my wheel. I'll but back on the ones tire rack sent me when I get home. They were cheap as heck. Bending and rusting......

make sure the shops you take your car to don't use an impact to take off the spline drive lugs. the key is designed to stretch & deform to prevent the lug itself from stripping. Better to have a stripped key which you can replace fore 12 bucks than a stripped lugnut. :)

I love my red capped spline drive lug nuts.

where are you getting yours from? summit racing?

tony speed
08-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by chunky

make sure the shops you take your car to don't use an impact to take off the spline drive lugs. the key is designed to stretch & deform to prevent the lug itself from stripping. Better to have a stripped key which you can replace fore 12 bucks than a stripped lugnut. :)

where are you getting yours from? summit racing?

Well, if I have the key on there, they shouldn't be able to take them off anyway i guess. Yeah I went to summit.

chunky
08-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by tony speed

Well, if I have the key on there, they shouldn't be able to take them off anyway i guess. Yeah I went to summit.

which key?

if you buy the plain chrome lugs or hte chrome black, they give you a set of wheel locks that are weight matched to the spline drive lug nuts. that's why they are more expensive than the colors. b/c the colors don't have wheel locks included in the kit.

02TafWhtSi
08-18-2003, 08:09 PM
I had the SplineDrives on my Konig Heliums - very nice set and they seat perfectly :)

TezGari
06-27-2008, 07:01 PM
GUys would this work - ordered these from Summit racing, hope to use on my aftermarket rims... work emotions...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MCG%2D25357&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Bought this to use along side my moteki's (similar link, bt mine one is open eneded) -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUTEKI-WHEEL-LUG-NUTS-BLACK-12x1-5-HONDA-ACURA-TOYOTA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em14Q2el13 18QQhashZitem160254490974QQitemZ160254490974

let me know if the Summit racing oreder would be good for my car.
The motekis are 60 degree taper seat. 12x1.50 open ended black.

is one set of wheel locks good enough? I ws gona order two sets.... WHat other protection measures can we take?