PDA

View Full Version : Well according to skunk2 directly...Showstoppers gave me the wrong coilovers

02SilverSiHB
08-15-2003, 12:16 PM
I'm kinda pist about this. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but I have been going through so much adjustments to get these coilovers to work. My springs read 0500-250-008E on each spring. The guy at skunk2 says that it should read:
F: 0600-250-008 8kg spring rate
R: 0600-250-006 6kg spring rate

Just a heads up for those that have the same coilovers. I'm going to contact showstoppersusa about this.

!@#$%
08-15-2003, 12:19 PM
that sucks. jacking with suspension stuff is alot of work too. i bet those koni inserts were a b*tch to put in too. I think chuck or rocky should give you a gift cert or something. some type of store credit.

02SilverSiHB
08-15-2003, 12:28 PM
shoot, I think they should send me the right ones. I've been taking my suspension apart for the last two months. I can't count how many times I've done this trying to solve the problem. My hands are freaking beat to hell. Bruised, scraped, etc. Time I could have used doing something else.
I tried pming chuck...that's who I talked to when I ordered the springs via the phone, but his (showstoppers) pm box is full...not surprised as many people probably pm him.
So I sent an email. I'll have to try and call him when I get home.

IceD out N CALI
08-15-2003, 12:51 PM
ouch, that sucks. hope everything gets ironed out

fishboy
08-15-2003, 01:04 PM
dude that sucks. when i got my coilovers that was the first thing i checked on. i checked the box, i called ground control for the correct part number, and i asked for the spring numbers too. all that confusion, people thinking the 02 si was the 99-00si stuff, really got to me and i am still very careful. i hope everything works out. you are lucky you have tools to mess with your suspension. i have jack shit and i still haven't installed my camber kit and my rear shocks. :o

HondaMan
08-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Good luck mang! I'm sure Chuck will do right by you...

glw
08-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
Good luck mang! I'm sure Chuck will do right by you... i don't know about that. the installer that chuck sent me to installed my rear swaybar upside down and chuck says i have to take it up with the installer. the installer has already refused to believe that he did anything wrong after my end link broke on the drive home from glendale.

anyways, it only cost me $30 to get it reinstalled correctly. you'd think chuck would just take care of it and send me a check or something, but he wouldn't.

good luck on your deal.

ps: that day at his shop i bought springs, swaybars, and strut tower bars from him ($$$). you'd think that he'd treat me like a good customer.

staticflo
08-15-2003, 04:01 PM
showstoppers has done a lot for this website. They have always had good customer service and have also given us very good prices, mistakes will happen in every good company, im sure they will take care of it...

glw
08-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by staticflo
showstoppers has done a lot for this website. They have always had good customer service and have also given us very good prices, mistakes will happen in every good company, im sure they will take care of it... maybe people are just afraid of speaking up because of the supposed rep showstoppers has here. maybe i'm the first to have a bad experience.

docofmind at brakezone on the other hand was great and their installer did a perfect job... kudos!

02SilverSiHB
08-15-2003, 04:11 PM
well, I unfortunetly sent the email to showstoppers from my work email, so I won't know what's up until monday. I just had another alignment done (89 damn dollars) because my toe was all fucked up. Damn, more money to spend and more shit to work on. I'm getting tired of working on the suspension.

chubbychu
08-15-2003, 04:24 PM
but think about the benefits man!

ShowstoppersUSA
08-15-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
I'm kinda pist about this. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but I have been going through so much adjustments to get these coilovers to work. My springs read 0500-250-008E on each spring. The guy at skunk2 says that it should read:
F: 0600-250-008 8kg spring rate
R: 0600-250-006 6kg spring rate

Just a heads up for those that have the same coilovers. I'm going to contact showstoppersusa about this.

YO!!!

Ok heres the deal. We do apologize about you getting the old version. Ever since February, a couple of EPHatch guys called skunk to ask if the coils for the 01+civic included the 02 Civic SI Hatch. Skunk said they will fit. These two customers tried the Skunk2 coilovers out and they worked on their EP's. Ever since Feb, every company has been selling 01+ Skunks for the EP. Skunk 2 in late May early June decided to release a new part number apparently with a new spring rate in the back which is softer than the 01+Civic. Its not a big change and it really doesnt matter which kit we have on our EP's. The only difference is the rear springs will be a bit stiffer if you have the 01+Civic kit on. If you want to exchange the two rear springs, please contact Skunk2 at (909) 808-9088. You can talk to their experineced sales people such as Marty. He will explain to you the difference and what we can do about this situation. Let me know what happens when you talk to Skunk2. They are real good about warranty on their products. It seems like there may be other problems on the car not related to the coilovers. Let us know what skunk2 says about replacing them. We will work with you as much as we can to resolve this problem. Thanks for being patient...

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

ShowstoppersUSA
08-15-2003, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by glw
[B]i don't know about that. the installer that chuck sent me to installed my rear swaybar upside down and chuck says i have to take it up with the installer. the installer has already refused to believe that he did anything wrong after my end link broke on the drive home from glendale.

anyways, it only cost me $30 to get it reinstalled correctly. you'd think chuck would just take care of it and send me a check or something, but he wouldn't.

What GLW failed to mention is this...

You asked me for a good professional shop that I knew. I referred you to the best in my area which is J's racing. He is one of the best technicians on imports that I know of. Unfortunately no one is perfect and people do make mistakes. I don't know exactly what happened and what went wrong. All this occured after you left the shop. I talked to J's Racing for you and informed them that they needed to check the car because the customer was complaining about noises. I also informed you that I did that and was trying to get you to talk to J's racing so that they can compensate you for the problem but you did not want to call him. That was on our last conversation. If Showstoppers USA had done all the work on your car and we did something wrong to it we would have no problem in taking care of you. In this case you are asking us to compensate you for a mistake another company has done?!@#$ Tell me where is the sense in that.

If the problem occured here or if it something we directly caused then we will compensate you in any manner possible. We have never left a customer hanging. Point is this deal happened between you and J's Racing, why are you pointing the finger at me??? Can you explain please? I'm sorry if this all comes out like im being rude but I just dont understand why someone elses fault is being blamed on me and its really getting frustrating...

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

BlackJDMep
08-15-2003, 07:01 PM
Dude... I had skunk 2 coilovers for the longest... since I got my car (November 2002). If you want "Handeling" your best bet is to go with the stiffer rear wich in this case is the 01+ civic kit. I have done a lot of turns, believe me! They work great! Your not gonna die or anything from this kit. The kit is awesome.

The softer rear will only make your car jump alot more and not handel as good. IMO, I think you got the BETTER kit!

http://suk02si.digitalgumball.com/Blackjdmep/Javier/Canyon 011.jpg

RiCeCoOkEr1280
08-15-2003, 07:16 PM
I have to agree with Chuck and the people at Showstoppers. Since they didn't DO the actual work, why should they be held responsible? That's like yelling at Honda because one of the mechanics told you to get a clutch installed at a performance shop since they try to aviod aftermarket installations. C'mon now, I don't see how this is Chuck's problem GLW.... Personally, me and all the people that have done business w/ Showstoppers have had nothing but excellent service. In addition, it's just like Chuck said... PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES!!!! But if the mistake was not his or his company, why are you holding him responsible? Just my $0.02........:confused:

BlackJDMep
08-15-2003, 07:53 PM
I have to agree with Chuck and the people at Showstoppers. Since they didn't DO the actual work, why should they be held responsible? That's like yelling at Honda because one of the mechanics told you to get a clutch installed at a performance shop since they try to aviod aftermarket installations. C'mon now, I don't see how this is Chuck's problem GLW.... Personally, me and all the people that have done business w/ Showstoppers have had nothing but excellent service. In addition, it's just like Chuck said... PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES!!!! But if the mistake was not his or his company, why are you holding him responsible? Just my $0.02........

wErD...

02SilverSiHB
08-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by ShowstoppersUSA

YO!!!

Ok heres the deal. We do apologize about you getting the old version. Ever since February, a couple of EPHatch guys called skunk to ask if the coils for the 01+civic included the 02 Civic SI Hatch. Skunk said they will fit. These two customers tried the Skunk2 coilovers out and they worked on their EP's. Ever since Feb, every company has been selling 01+ Skunks for the EP. Skunk 2 in late May early June decided to release a new part number apparently with a new spring rate in the back which is softer than the 01+Civic. Its not a big change and it really doesnt matter which kit we have on our EP's. The only difference is the rear springs will be a bit stiffer if you have the 01+Civic kit on. If you want to exchange the two rear springs, please contact Skunk2 at (909) 808-9088. You can talk to their experineced sales people such as Marty. He will explain to you the difference and what we can do about this situation. Let me know what happens when you talk to Skunk2. They are real good about warranty on their products. It seems like there may be other problems on the car not related to the coilovers. Let us know what skunk2 says about replacing them. We will work with you as much as we can to resolve this problem. Thanks for being patient...

Chuck
Showstoppers USA
okay, I found the problem. The driver side rings that lock together...were upside, freaking down...hard to see visually, but once I took it apart, I found out what the deal was. I have had no more problems what so ever and the handling is just fine. My apology. I will definitely keep the 8kg all around on all fours...as I want more stiffness on the back area. I wish I could actually get a 10kg for the rear....do you know if skunk2 offers that separately. thanks for the post man. Showstoppers is a okay on my list of people to buy from :D

02SilverSiHB
08-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by BlackJDMep
Dude... I had skunk 2 coilovers for the longest... since I got my car (November 2002). If you want "Handeling" your best bet is to go with the stiffer rear wich in this case is the 01+ civic kit. I have done a lot of turns, believe me! They work great! Your not gonna die or anything from this kit. The kit is awesome.

The softer rear will only make your car jump alot more and not handel as good. IMO, I think you got the BETTER kit!

http://suk02si.digitalgumball.com/Blackjdmep/Javier/Canyon 011.jpg
by the way, is that your car blackjdmep? sweet ass ride, I'll have to check out the members profiles to see if you have more pics. Those rota circuit 8s look sweet man.

IceD out N CALI
08-15-2003, 09:51 PM
cool, glad you found the source of the problem:)

ShowstoppersUSA
08-16-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

okay, I found the problem. The driver side rings that lock together...were upside, freaking down...hard to see visually, but once I took it apart, I found out what the deal was. I have had no more problems what so ever and the handling is just fine. My apology. I will definitely keep the 8kg all around on all fours...as I want more stiffness on the back area. I wish I could actually get a 10kg for the rear....do you know if skunk2 offers that separately. thanks for the post man. Showstoppers is a okay on my list of people to buy from :D

Glad to see everything is ok... Good you found the problem. I'm sorry for all the inconvenience this caused for you. At least now everyone knows how to fix if they have the same problems. I'll see if the 10kg rears are available....

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

02SilverSiHB
08-16-2003, 12:20 PM

I'll see if the 10kg rears are available....

Chuck
Showstoppers USA
thanks! I'm really really interested in them.

glw
08-16-2003, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by glw
[B]i don't know about that. the installer that chuck sent me to installed my rear swaybar upside down and chuck says i have to take it up with the installer. the installer has already refused to believe that he did anything wrong after my end link broke on the drive home from glendale.

What GLW failed to mention is this...

You asked me for a good professional shop that I knew. I referred you to the best in my area which is J's racing. He is one of the best technicians on imports that I know of. Unfortunately no one is perfect and people do make mistakes. I don't know exactly what happened and what went wrong. All this occured after you left the shop. I talked to J's Racing for you and informed them that they needed to check the car because the customer was complaining about noises. I also informed you that I did that and was trying to get you to talk to J's racing so that they can compensate you for the problem but you did not want to call him. That was on our last conversation. If Showstoppers USA had done all the work on your car and we did something wrong to it we would have no problem in taking care of you. In this case you are asking us to compensate you for a mistake another company has done?!@#$ Tell me where is the sense in that.

If the problem occured here or if it something we directly caused then we will compensate you in any manner possible. We have never left a customer hanging. Point is this deal happened between you and J's Racing, why are you pointing the finger at me??? Can you explain please? I'm sorry if this all comes out like im being rude but I just dont understand why someone elses fault is being blamed on me and its really getting frustrating...

Chuck
Showstoppers USA well, i guess you have your view and i have mine.

it is true (as i stated in my original message) that the problem is with the installers work. if you recall, i expected you guys to do the install as we had discussed over the phone. when i arrive you tell me you only install on weekends and direct me to the specific installer instead and arranged a special price for me.

i told you when we last spoke that the installer had already refused and said he did everything correctly. why call him again? that's why i contacted you. both you and the installer should have my phone number and could call me, if you had wanted to try and work something out.

basically here's the rub - i tell you that i had probelms with your personal friends shop that you referred me too and you tell me that it's between me and him. i'd at least expect you to call him and help me (a paying customer) get some satisfaction. i certainly would never have picked that installer without your glowing approval.

from your message it appears that you had called the installer and talked with him, but (1) i didn't know you did that since you hadn't follwed up with me and (2) nothing came of your contacting the installer on my behalf.

in any case, i didn't start this thread. i just posted my experience so that other unsuspecting purchasers don't get what i got -- poor installation from one of your friends.

final thought - if that installer is the best that you recommend "good" customers to, that's sad.

edit: i see you as an agent for the installer. you, personally, called him and arranged time and a so called "special price" for the install. imo that involves you. you may not think so, and that is ok. i just wouldn't do business that way.

ShowstoppersUSA
08-16-2003, 04:53 PM
1) you want compensation for something you gotta go get it. I talked to him for you and he was willing to do something for you, but again thats between you and him.

2) I distribute parts for that company. He's not my best friend how you make it out to be

There will always be your opinion against mine so nothing is gonna change. I do appreciate your business, just not the way your trying to blame me for other peoples faults...

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

glw
08-16-2003, 05:00 PM
1) you want compensation for something you gotta go get it. I talked to him for you and he was willing to do something for you, but again thats between you and him.

2) I distribute parts for that company. He's not my best friend how you make it out to be

There will always be your opinion against mine so nothing is gonna change. I do appreciate your business, just not the way your trying to blame me for other peoples faults...

Chuck
Showstoppers USA be careful recommending shops... i would have been more comfortable dealing with a local shop i could return to if there was a problem. and you did make him out to be a close friend of yours and that you've referred other ep3's to. he told me after he had started that mine was his first ep3...

oh well, it's water under the bridge now. i'll call the installer next week, but if he asks me to drive 2 hours again so he can "look at it" -- it ain't happening.

edit: you may not have seen my edit to the other post, but i see you as an agent for the installer as you arranged the appointment, price, and gave a glowing referral... i took your referral as gospel and that's probably where i went wrong...

BlackNRedSi
08-19-2003, 12:38 PM
So 02SilverSiHB....Everything with your EP is cherry now right?

Eric

02SilverSiHB
08-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
So 02SilverSiHB....Everything with your EP is cherry now right?

Eric
oh yeah, its cool. I actually had the car riding correctly after I switched the sleeve over...which I had done before the post. My whole thing was I thought I had received the wrong springs since skunk2 told me what I should have had. But chuck let me know that skunk2 had been switching the springs out for different ones right about the time I bought mine. So I have a 440 spring rate on all four spring, where as the new ones have a lesser spring rate up front.