PDA

View Full Version : No Type -R

redronin22
08-29-2002, 05:10 PM
Im kinda being pessimistic but somehow i dont see a way that they can bring a Type-R over here. Its not cost effective. Who is gonna buy a +25k Civic when they can get a 350z or subaru or a lancer? Even the Mighty Type-R isnt a match for these beast in most performance categories. Its a bad assed car but for extreme performance there are too many choices out there. Its not gonna be around 22 grand cus that is right in the Type-S ball park. Not a chance with all the equipment it gets unless u delete most comforts like the AC Roof Stereo etc. Then you'd have a stripper that could BARELY compete with its competition.

That being said I plan to build my own after about 3 years I should have enough for the engine and trans and all the labor needed. Im guessing +10k when all is said and done. So in essence id be paying 30 grand for my Type-R. Before I got my SI I didnt like civics much and was very skeptical. But after my test drive (was a shoot out between this the Type-S and Accord Coupe), I was surprised on how much I enjoyed the drive. Its one solid car and I LOVE everything about it from the quirky exterior styling to the bad ass interior. I guess you gotta own one to understand. Its mini-mini van love baby!!!

SarahVTEC
08-29-2002, 05:36 PM
You make some very valid points; however, I think people would pay $25K for CTR. I know I would! Although, I am not willing to pay more than that especially if it doesn't come with the Red Recaro's, red floormats, titanium shift-knob, etc. Also, it will ALWAYS be cheaper to buy a CTR than build one yourself. Sure, you can swop the motor, guage cluster, etc. but it will cost a lot more than if it was sold here. Also, the longer Honda waits to import it, the greater the chances the designers will redesign the front-end. Much like the WRX, the one thing many car reviewer's negatively comment on is the CTR/Si's overall appearance. Any ways, I've still got my fingers crossed Honda will answer our prayers...2004?

SpeedRacer
08-29-2002, 05:41 PM
what the fuck is wrong with the front end?

nikkotyper
08-29-2002, 05:48 PM
I certainly hope so; however, I seriously doubt it.

If they bring a Type R - it will be an Acura just like it was before.
They could have imported the CTR in 1997 - instead they brought over an ITR.
It does make more sense from the marketing standpoint: bring an acura (an upscale honda) and confortably ask for $25K (or more). More people would be drawn to it.
Let's face it - even though we like the exterior of our SI's - most people regard its styling inferior to RSX's.

redronin22
08-29-2002, 05:49 PM
Man critics can kiss my ass. They wanted a hatchback when there was only a coupe SI. They got a unique hatchback. They wanted a more torquey engine. They got one. They wanted more accessable power. Check another one for the SI. So what do they do when they get all this? the bitch and complain. I bet if out cars were made in Germany with a certain round blue/white circle they'd praise it for its unique exterior/interior, great shifter seats etc. The engine would be perfectly and balanced etc etc.

I remember when back in 96-97 there was a road and track article where they had a supra rx-7 and 3000gt vr4 lose to a 240 hp bmw m3. thats biased cus the m3 lost in every category except back seat and it somehow won. wtf??? Never trust what others say about your cars. If u like it you like it. I use to hate on civic's until i drove this SI. basically if i listened to all the negative reviews before i got my car id be S.O.L. on a great car.

SpeedRacer
08-29-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by redronin22
Man critics can kiss my ass. They wanted a hatchback when there was only a coupe SI. They got a unique hatchback. They wanted a more torquey engine. They got one. They wanted more accessable power. Check another one for the SI. So what do they do when they get all this? the bitch and complain. I bet if out cars were made in Germany with a certain round blue/white circle they'd praise it for its unique exterior/interior, great shifter seats etc. The engine would be perfectly and balanced etc etc.

I remember when back in 96-97 there was a road and track article where they had a supra rx-7 and 3000gt vr4 lose to a 240 hp bmw m3. thats biased cus the m3 lost in every category except back seat and it somehow won. wtf??? Never trust what others say about your cars. If u like it you like it. I use to hate on civic's until i drove this SI. basically if i listened to all the negative reviews before i got my car id be S.O.L. on a great car.

exactly

SarahVTEC
08-29-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer
what the fuck is wrong with the front end?

The usual stuff. Lights are too large, looks like a Ford Focus, reflectors in the bumpers, raked windshield, Macpherson struts, etc. Ask anyone, the front end on the '99-00 Si looks a lot more sporty than the '02 Si. For example...

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/57200/page003.html

SpeedRacer
08-29-2002, 05:54 PM
i love my lights thats to bad you dont

nikkotyper
08-29-2002, 05:58 PM
I think that "giant peepers" are cool.

Besides - I cannot find a single important thing I do not like in a car except "maybe" a higher redline.

DJQuikFingaz
08-29-2002, 06:47 PM
Finally picked up that Honda Tuning magazine today. Damn we get stuff late! Anyways, I liked the article they did on the type r's. And yes I would pay 25k.

David K.
08-29-2002, 06:57 PM
Twenty Five large is a little steep, but the car is too cool. It would have to be a full on JDM Type R too, don't hold anything back. But I did read somewhere that Honda thinks there can only be one Type R in the States' and the precident was already set by Acura, so they get first dibs. But hell, a 220hp JDM Integra Type R for 25K would be sweet as hell, too.........

Mechanic
08-30-2002, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by David K.
Twenty Five large is a little steep, but the car is too cool. It would have to be a full on JDM Type R too, don't hold anything back. But I did read somewhere [AutoWeek Aug. 28] that Honda thinks there can only be one Type R in the States' and the precedent was already set by Acura, so they get first dibs. But hell, a 220hp JDM Integra Type R for 25K would be sweet as hell, too.........

I'm with David. But, I don't think an Acura Type R for $25k is possible. Acura's now planning to sell a dealer-installed Type R "look alike" with a few R suspension- and body pieces for about $5k (!), and that alone pushes the S into the $28-29k range. The kit looks trick enough, but there's no value to be found at that price.

CleanBlackSi02
08-31-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by nikkotyper
I think that "giant peepers" are cool.

Besides - I cannot find a single important thing I do not like in a car except "maybe" a higher redline.

I like the size too...they should have added darker housings out of the factory....that would make it more appealing in my opinion.