PDA

View Full Version : Threw a CEL

chunky
08-16-2003, 07:00 AM
P0420

Catalyst efficency below threshold (bank 1)

So either my cat is taking a shat, or my 2nd o2 sensor.

anyone else had this issue?

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-16-2003, 08:34 AM
good excuse to get a high flow cat.

Peking
08-16-2003, 12:40 PM
When and how did you find that out?

chunky
08-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Atlas1133
When and how did you find that out?

I bought a cheap OBD II scanner this morning b/c I was stressing about it. I think i'm gonna return it though and get the aturrea one. it works via a serial cable between the obd II and Palm os device

JSIR
08-16-2003, 05:29 PM
that is a strange one to get so early on. with the auterra scanner you can take readings of both o2 sensors and see if there is much of a spread between them or if one is reading funny.

were you driving any different in the last few days ?.

Shop manual calls for you to clear the code then do test while driving, if you want to do that I can list the procedure for the driving test , if the check engine light reappears then there is a problem with the cat, if it doesnt then it is just an intermittent problem. But you may want to keep the code to show to the dealer.

Lastly if you've cleared the code, check for your readiness code completion, with the car shut off, turn the key to on position but dont start the engine, the check engine light will come on then shut off after a few seconds, if it comes back on then blinks about 5 times after that then your readiness codes need to be reset for the emmissions system to function properly.

let me know if you want the info.

Joey

chunky
08-17-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by JSIR
that is a strange one to get so early on. with the auterra scanner you can take readings of both o2 sensors and see if there is much of a spread between them or if one is reading funny.

were you driving any different in the last few days ?.

Shop manual calls for you to clear the code then do test while driving, if you want to do that I can list the procedure for the driving test , if the check engine light reappears then there is a problem with the cat, if it doesnt then it is just an intermittent problem. But you may want to keep the code to show to the dealer.

Lastly if you've cleared the code, check for your readiness code completion, with the car shut off, turn the key to on position but dont start the engine, the check engine light will come on then shut off after a few seconds, if it comes back on then blinks about 5 times after that then your readiness codes need to be reset for the emmissions system to function properly.

let me know if you want the info.

Joey

thanks for the extra info. It's just an intermittent problem. I cleared it yesterday and it hasn't come back since. The emissions readiness code is okay.

JSIR
08-17-2003, 12:28 PM
found this reply on clubrsx, probably applies to us as well, its from a guy that works at an acura dealer by the sounds of it. His reply to a question about cel's on exhaust systems below:

Well I thought that way also but typically when an rsx comes in with a CEL first we check that the vehicle has the most recent software in the flash rom ecu. If not then we download it from tech-line in Cali and then upload it into the rsx. Clear the CEL and try to get it to fail again. Most of the CEL's we have seen in the past year or two have been slow responces from the secondary o-2 sensor. but usually the update corrects it. i agree. it would be awesome if Hondata would sell a "race/off road" flash-5.