PDA

View Full Version : My car just took a piss.......

gamefreak
08-16-2003, 10:19 AM
I just walked outside to go move my car so my dad could do some edging on the driveway. I turn my car off, look up, and see my dad pointing at a puddle on the ground. At first I thought it was just condensation from the A/C, but no i couldn't be so lucky....
Bright green anti-freeze in a huge puddle. All I could do was look at my dad and say, "dammit!" My car hasn't had any problems since I bought it a month ago, and then all of a sudden this happens. Oh well, I'm taking it in monday to be repaired. So now I have to drive the f250 diesel. Talk about a rock-crawler.
When we pooped the hood, we couldn't see any leaks up top, but when we looked underneath the car, you could see anti-freeze dripping off of the oil pan. I wonder where the leak is at?... It hasn't been running hot or anything. Any thoughts?

TheMutt
08-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Heh heh... you sed "pooped the hood". Heh.

andy
08-16-2003, 01:09 PM
Do you have an aftermarket radiator cap or anything like
that? Sometimes guys with those have had problems...not exactly
sure why.

Otherwise, just check for leaks/cracks in your hose. You might
have had an odd rock/debris puncture something...
Keep us updated, first case of radiator leaking I've heard of on
an Si (not that I've been around forever or anything).

ep3si02
08-16-2003, 01:19 PM
that happened to me and it wasnt covered under warranty. they say if something hits it its not covered. they showed it to me and it had alittle hole on the back of the radiator.

Brettnyt
08-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by TheMutt
Heh heh... you sed "pooped the hood". Heh.

LMAO! I was gunna say that exact same thing!

87gn
08-16-2003, 10:40 PM
Do you have an aftermarket radiator cap or anything like
that? Sometimes guys with those have had problems...not exactly sure why.

could be that the aftermarket caps might be rated at a higher psi then a stock cap. theres a upside and a downside to the higher pressure caps.

the upside is that a higher psi cap will let your engine run hotter than a lower psi cap will before it boils. normal street use a lower psi cap on a car will be fine BUT if your pulling something or going up a steap hill on a hot day you could overheat.

the downside is that they have a higher likely hood of blowing a hose, busting a radiator tank, busting the heater core, or even blowing a head AND/OR intake manifold gasket.

when i do work on alot of older cars with a "shady" history i look at the cap and see if its rated below the factory psi requirements. i have a friend who used to own a firebird. he had braught it to me one day to deal with some cooling issues he had. i found a cheap radiator cap on it with a 6 or 7 psi cap if i remember correctly. when i replaced the cap with the 16 psi cap that was ment for the car it started smokeing rather bad. it was a white smoke so i knew it eather had a blown head gasket or something like a cracked water jacket.

i ended up having to replace the head gaskets. the last owner had blown the head gaskets some time in the past and to cover up the damage before he sold the car he replaced the radiator cap with a lower pressure cap so that it would not "force" excess water past the blown head gasket in to the cly. luckly the break was between the water passage and a cly and we did not get any water in the oil, if it would have dumped water in to the oil i would have had to rip it down and replace the bearings at the least.:eek:

gamefreak
08-17-2003, 08:59 PM
(pooped the hood...) I must of sneaked in an extra O there, or maybe it was just a freudian slip. Anyway, My car has no aftermarket parts what so ever. I take it in tomorrow, and they are going to fix it. I'll let you guys no what happend as soon as I find out.

rick77f
08-19-2003, 06:01 PM
When I had my Si the belt wore through the coolant bottle because it was not mounted correctly. That's where my guess is.

gamefreak
08-19-2003, 08:42 PM
Well, I got my car back today. Turns out it was the thermostat housing. They said it probably was dropped when the engine was being assembled in the factory and cracked it. They replaced that, the seals and flushed out the radiator and now all is good. They were really quick about it too. Hopefully this will never happen again.

AkronSi
08-20-2003, 06:03 AM
Glad you got it fixed quickly and that it didn't cost you anything.