PDA

View Full Version : hondata or no hondata??

the JigGa mAn
08-16-2003, 12:15 PM
shit...idk what to do...sometimes i wanna get the hondata reflash...then other times i dont then im not sure what i wanna do...i really want my redline to be taken up a notch cos this one kills me when i try to keep with my buddys Type R on the highway...i have some questions for those of you who have had the reflash done...
1. how long does it take for you to get the car back?
2. if i get the reflash does that void my honda warranty??
3. has anyone in the chicago area gotten the reflash??
4. if so where did you send it??

any other pros and cons would help alot...

thanx much
the one and only JigGa mAn

andy
08-16-2003, 01:19 PM
jiiiiiggaaaaah,

(now you got me singing that song...grrr ;) )

1. I think it's under 5 days. Like you send it out on a Monday,
you get it back on a Thur/Fri or something. Maybe a week at
most. I know I've seen it in old posts - run a search on
"hondata AND ship" and you might find more. Or someone else
will just answer.
2. Your warranty can not be voided by Honda because you put
an aftermarket piece on your car. If you try to take your car in
for faulty exhaust hangers, they cannot say "Well, you have a
flashed ECU" and deny your warranty. They can only deny your
warranty if something you do causes the problem you are having.
For example, they may not cover a faulty valve/spring because
you have hondata. But, I'm not even sure if a dealership could
tell the difference between a flashed ECU and a regular one. I
guess it depends on their diagnostic tools/tests.

I can't really answer 3/4. Hope some of that info helps. Personally,
as cool as having Hondata would be, I'm not willing to pay $600
for a reflash. I'll wait to spend a little more for something that would
at least be retuneable with a laptop/PDA.

97gsr90si
08-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Hope this helps:

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11348

the JigGa mAn
08-16-2003, 06:36 PM
yeah ive read that before...i my main concern is with the warranty, andy made a good point...can a honda dealer tell if your ECU has been reflashed or not?? and if so does it or does it not void out the warranty???

also how many ppl here got it?

!@#$%
08-17-2003, 01:31 AM
the only way they could check would be to physically see inside the ECU's memory that the engine went over 6800 rpm. That should make a lightbulb go off.

kenis138
08-18-2003, 06:30 AM
Performance wise, you wont be disappointed. I was a skeptic and have been very pleased

the JigGa mAn
08-18-2003, 06:41 AM
i have no doubt that i wont be dissapointed performance wise...but i need to know for sure that it wont void my warranty...i have no problem dishin out the money for this...but 6 months down the line if i have a problem i dont want honda to say i voided my warranty b/c i reflashed my ECU...thats all

kenis138
08-18-2003, 09:12 AM
well, thats a risk you take in the mod game. Its all fun n games til something goes wrong. as everyone has mentioned, yer warranty cant be voided on something unless the part you installed caused the problem. My car is going in for new struts. The dealer saw my mods and didnt say a thing, replacing them no questions asked. Now, if it had been my REAR struts that had a problem, they may have denied me cuz i have a rear strut bar installed, be it right or wrong on their part. The only way they would even know yer ECU was reflashed is if you had problems with the engine, which *knock on wood* is not typical on Hondas. I dunno, worst case scenario, could you blow up yer engine and before taking it to dealer send the ECU back to Hondata to get it cleared? Just a thought. Anyway, bottom line is its a risk you take. If you arent willing to accept the risk, then dont take it, leave your car alone. :)

Good luck and happy stewing!;)

BlasTech
08-18-2003, 10:28 AM
One guy on honda-tech works at a dealership and says they wouldnt know unless you told em.

civic hatch boi
08-18-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by kenis138
Performance wise, you wont be disappointed. I was a skeptic and have been very pleased

i heard otherwise from people with hondata.. i know a few who are disappointed. also, how often are u at 6.8k+? not very often

IceD out N CALI
08-18-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi

i heard otherwise from people with hondata.. i know a few who are disappointed. also, how often are u at 6.8k+? not very often

you should just get it;)

ep3guy
08-18-2003, 08:57 PM
Get it, if you don't like it, get it flashed back to stock and get your money back. Most likely, you won't be doing that... trust me... :D

the JigGa mAn
08-18-2003, 08:59 PM
yeah im gonna get it....ill ask for it when xmas rolls around...ill ask for some cash so i can get it...im in no rush..but im gonna get it...

kenis138
08-19-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi

no, not very often, but when you are its a F'n rush. Plus, it makes a difference throughout rpm range. again, delta felt much more significantly after stock pipe back on (at least throughout rpm range. high end with I/H/E +hondata feels nice)

abstrack
08-19-2003, 04:35 PM
how does this hondata work anyways... all i do is send them the ecu right.. ? then it comes flashed and i just reinstall it?

the JigGa mAn
08-19-2003, 11:56 PM
yep thats the jist of it..