PDA

View Full Version : Turning while accelerating

bobdobbs
08-16-2003, 02:22 PM
I've test-driven a couple of EP3s and each time I noticed something strange: When making a left turn from a stop, the car wanted to straighten out (i.e., go to the right). I thought I was imagining it, then I read in a SiR review on canadiandriver.com:

"Though there's no torque steer under hard acceleration when travelling in a straight line, turning the steering wheel while accelerating results in the steering wheel attempting to straighten itself out - you have to hang on tight. This is disconcerting at first, but when you learn to expect it, it's manageable. Still, I felt it was excessive."

Anybody else notice that? Does the Mugen suspension correct this?

andy
08-16-2003, 02:57 PM
If it's torque steer they are referring to (and I *know* I feel
it, even when driving straight, unlike that quote), then I don't
think suspension is going to make much of a difference. Only
a limited slip will cure that.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-16-2003, 03:17 PM
I think it's just a characteristic of our electric power assist steering. Suspension mods wont change it.

I almost hit a telephone pole once because of this.
I was making a left onto a major highway. There was no traffic light, just a stop sign, and i was waiting forever.
I finally decided to jump out in front of a couple cars as quickly as i could and while flooring it, the car didnt want to turn left. I had to really fight it to avoid hitting the pole.

Kinda sucks, but you get used to it. My wifes old Acura was the same way, but even worse.

the JigGa mAn
08-16-2003, 05:50 PM
very intresting...i just went around the block and did this..and nothing happend...nothing you guys said happend...idk...maybe ive gotten used to it that i dont know what its like??

bobdobbs
08-16-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
I almost hit a telephone pole once because of this.

I almost hit a parked car. :o

I asked my dad about it -- he's an engineer for a car company -- and he says it's torque steer and can't really be tweaked out by modifying the suspension. You might be able to make it a little better, but it's doubtful it would go away without an LSD.

Si4U2NV
08-16-2003, 10:15 PM
umm hate to break it to u guyz...but itz DEFINITELY not torque steer... it is 100% ABSOLUTELY the EPS (Electronic Power Steering) a lot of carz have it (including the S2k and the Saturn Ion just to name a few) and it really does suck when ur makin a 90 degree turn and stomp it... after u wear out ur tirez just ryte (like i did) the slipping compensatez for it perfectly and u can ass drag wit the best of em!

-Mike:D

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-16-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Si4U2NV
umm hate to break it to u guyz...but itz DEFINITELY not torque steer... it is 100% ABSOLUTELY the EPS (Electronic Power Steering) a lot of carz have it (including the S2k and the Saturn Ion just to name a few) and it really does suck when ur makin a 90 degree turn and stomp it... after u wear out ur tirez just ryte (like i did) the slipping compensatez for it perfectly and u can ass drag wit the best of em!

-Mike:D

yea, just like i said, but without all the z's. :D

DX4U2NV
08-16-2003, 10:38 PM
i'd have to say that Si4U2NV is right. thought my experience with his EP is rather limited, i've concluded that that EPS shit you guys have sucks donkey rectum... with my civic (EH2) the only way that i don't follow a line is if i understeer because the tires can't hold on. EPS over-compensates for certain things (such as drift/ass-drag). we pulled a hard left and threw the back out. when he straightened out the wheel, the car still left the front tires pointed to the left. then he pushed it more & more to the right and it finally let go of the line it had and threw the front wheels to the right. they (mike & ep) fought for a little while over which way to go.. it sucked...

chunky
08-16-2003, 11:07 PM
I dunno, the EPS I find doesn't return the wheel to center anywhere nearly as much as a conventional power steering pump does.

for instance, you make a sharp left. if you let go of the wheel, with normal power steering, the steering wheel will come back to center and go in a straight line. with the EPS, the wheel stays cut to the left and you have to turn it back out.

not a good thing or a bad thing. it's all preference.