PDA

View Full Version : Type S head

the JigGa mAn
08-16-2003, 06:30 PM
i thought i read in a magazine that someone somewhere did a type S head swap to there k20a3?? is this doable? if so how much you thnk itll run?

also to see if what im thinking is right...if i get a type s head id also need the ECU which in turn would raise my rev limiter???

Dunrick
08-16-2003, 07:30 PM
NEVER HEARD OF THIS, THIS IS GROUND BREAKING....OH MY GOD HUK HUK

the JigGa mAn
08-16-2003, 07:59 PM
huh??
next time try and add something constructive...thanx...i dont mock your threads

ALCT
08-16-2003, 08:57 PM
I've heard an si having K24 block+type s head + JRSC+hondata=325 hp but I can't find the post or the post subject for that.

civic hatch boi
08-16-2003, 11:33 PM
i'm pretty sure i heard this done before... something about.. getting their 8k redline, but losing some low end torque in return.

oldschoolimport
08-17-2003, 01:59 AM
I think the reason our redline is lower than the RSX-S is that our rods can't stand up to the piston speeds that 8000 rpm can generate. the head swap is a good idea, but I would build the bottom end before i spun it up much more than 7000.

Silentplanet
08-17-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by ALCT
I've heard an si having K24 block+type s head + JRSC+hondata=325 hp but I can't find the post or the post subject for that.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6947&page_number=8

sniperSI
08-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
I think the reason our redline is lower than the RSX-S is that our rods can't stand up to the piston speeds that 8000 rpm can generate. the head swap is a good idea, but I would build the bottom end before i spun it up much more than 7000.

It's because our head can't take the 8000+ but if we upgrade our head it's all good.

The k24 you don't want that high redline cause the size of the stroke but i'm sure it's possible

anyways bunchs of people have done this swap type S head + ecu = poor mans swap.

civic hatch boi
08-17-2003, 10:52 AM
so how much are we looking at? for the tS swap.. i'm interested as well.. cuz honestly.. our Si's are too slow.

the JigGa mAn
08-17-2003, 12:32 PM
i dont feel that our cars are slow...i just feel that if we had a higher redline we would be able to take that gear a bit farther...like with the hondata...

so this can be done??? and if so how much are we talking??? cos im low on cash for shit like a turbo kit...and i just wanna do little things to the car..nothing major yet...

ALCT
08-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Silentplanet

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6947&page_number=8

this is it, thank you

S800Racer
08-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
i thought i read in a magazine that someone somewhere did a type S head swap to there k20a3?? is this doable? if so how much you thnk itll run?

also to see if what im thinking is right...if i get a type s head id also need the ECU which in turn would raise my rev limiter???

Everyone else that responded to the thread is referring you to the K24w/A2 head and supercharger in the Car&Driver shoot-out. Your original question is type-S head swap. The answer is yes, it is doable. There was an article in one of the tuner mags (Super Street?). As for cost, you should be able to find a used head for a reasonable price. I will definitely make more power than the A3, but less power than the A2 mostly because of the lower compression.

It will run on the A3 ECU, but your vtec will switch at 2200 rpm and redline at 6800. The A2 ECU will give you the 6000rpm vtec switch and 8000rpm. and yes, I think the A3 bottom end can handle 8000 rpm.

civic hatch boi
08-17-2003, 05:15 PM
what do you consider reasonable price? 1500?

the JigGa mAn
08-17-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by S800Racer

Everyone else that responded to the thread is referring you to the K24w/A2 head and supercharger in the Car&Driver shoot-out. Your original question is type-S head swap. The answer is yes, it is doable. There was an article in one of the tuner mags (Super Street?). As for cost, you should be able to find a used head for a reasonable price. It will definitely make more power than the A3, but less power than the A2 mostly because of the lower compression.

It will run on the A3 ECU, but your vtec will switch at 2200 rpm and redline at 6800. The A2 ECU will give you the 6000rpm vtec switch and 8000rpm. and yes, I think the A3 bottom end can handle 8000 rpm.

thanx for the info

"It will definitely make more power than the A3, but less power than the A2 mostly because of the lower compression."

i dont get that part....is that saying that it will make more power compared to a stock A3 motor..but less than a stock A2 motor??

as for the ECU would honda have to make that compatable with my key?? b/c if i recall correctly doesnt the ECU and Key go hand in hand???

also where do you think i can find a stock A2 head?
EDIT: again the warranty comes into question..would this void the warranty??

S800Racer
08-17-2003, 05:59 PM
i dont get that part....is that saying that it will make more power compared to a stock A3 motor..but less than a stock A2 motor??

as for the ECU would honda have to make that compatable with my key?? b/c if i recall correctly doesnt the ECU and Key go hand in hand???

also where do you think i can find a stock A2 head?
EDIT: again the warranty comes into question..would this void the warranty?? [/B][/QUOTE]

Because the A3 has different pistons, it has lower compression compared to the A2 motor. But the A2 head flows better and has a more aggressive cam. So, yes, slapping the A2 head onto the A3 motor will give you more power, but not as much as the A2.

The dealer will have to make the ECU compatible with your key and immobilizer.

warranty-- kiss it by-by

the JigGa mAn
08-17-2003, 11:22 PM
ic...so this mod will have to wait....cos if something happens to the whip and honda says your fault ill be pissed...plus by the time my warranty is done with im sure a Type S head will be easy to find and for cheap..thanx for your help

EDIT: prolly a dumb question....but if mod is done...would you have to get a 6 speed trans??? b/c of the ECU??

S800Racer
08-18-2003, 05:46 AM
ic...so this mod will have to wait....cos if something happens to the whip and honda says your fault ill be pissed...plus by the time my warranty is done with im sure a Type S head will be easy to find and for cheap..thanx for your help

EDIT: prolly a dumb question....but if mod is done...would you have to get a 6 speed trans??? b/c of the ECU??

If you are really concerned about warranty issues, you can't do too much modifying. I would highly recommend the AEM CAI if you don't already have it. cheap, easy mod with results you can feel on the butt dyno. If you want more revs and don't want to spend too much, the Hondata ECU mod gives a 7700rpm redline and good hp gains. I'm not sure about warranty issues with Hondata.

5 or 6 speed trans makes no difference. either one bolts up to either motor and neither the cylinder head or the ECU knows or care what gear you are in.

the JigGa mAn
08-18-2003, 06:04 AM
youve been very helpful on this topic....about the trans what would be better the 5 or 6 speed??

i would think about getting a AEM CAI but it rained in chicago alot this summer and it got flooded a few times....so thats my major concern...and until i find out for sure that hondata wont void my warranty thats when ill make my final decision on the hondata...cos i have no problem spending $600 on it...i think it would come in handy

Mad02Si
08-18-2003, 06:17 AM
youve been very helpful on this topic....about the trans what would be better the 5 or 6 speed?? I think the final drives for the 5 and 6 are the same, but with the 6 your shifting sooner. If you plan on turbo I think the 5 would be best cause you could hold 3rd and 4th longer and maintain boost. Just my thoughts I could be wrong. What side of Chicago are you located by maybe I might cya cruising one day, I'm all over the place and I hardly ever see anybody from this site.

the JigGa mAn
08-18-2003, 06:37 AM
i chill over in the NW suburbs...you might not see me crusin...i never cruise...cos im mostly at work...but can you catch me on the drive home

fsugatorbait
08-18-2003, 02:31 PM
....about the trans what would be better the 5 or 6 speed??

It depends on what you plan on. For N/A applications, the 6 spd would be better especially with the type S head or hondata because its geared to keep the RPM's in your powerband. If you plan on going F/I, id highly suggest keeping the longer geared 5 spd. Someone on here recently posted that he dropped .5 seconds in the 1/4 mile on his 99 boosted ex by switching trannies to the longer geared dx. As for the final drive, we have the same as the type R, nough said:) . HTH

sleepin02si
09-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Where would I be able to find a type-s head/ecu combo? Would I have to order it? Or should I be able to find a wrecked type-s somewhere?

fsugatorbait
09-02-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by sleepin02si
Where would I be able to find a type-s head/ecu combo? Would I have to order it? Or should I be able to find a wrecked type-s somewhere?

Good luck :( ...unfortunately unless you want to pay roughly $3K from Acura for a brand new head; your best bet would be to check local junkyards or message boards like clubrsx for people selling them. Sometimes they'll come over here and post in the classifieds section. Sometimes they pop up on ebay too.

sleepin02si
09-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the info. I figured that would be the case, but figured I would ask anyway.;)

fsugatorbait
09-02-2003, 02:19 PM
As a matter of fact take a look here http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20019
There is a guy that lists one for sale with ecu seperate from the car. Hope it helps.
Phil

NamingException
09-02-2003, 05:10 PM
They're expensive, but not $3000 expensive. You can buy a cylinder head assembly at http://acuraautomotiveparts.org brand new for $1332.22.

Edit: You don't need a new ECU either. Just get Hondata to flash your K20A3 ECU with a K20A2 program. I wish someone on here would go ahead and try this out, documenting their findings well. I am very curious about the specific details of this head swap. I would do it myself but I don't have the cash.

fsugatorbait
09-03-2003, 12:58 PM
there was a thread awhile ago that listed the head at $3K from acura, could have been a quote from a dealership, but that was the info i was going off of. And hondata cannot just reflash our ecu with the A2 program. There are physical differences between the two. Not just the program.

NamingException
09-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Uh, you sure? I think they could flash it with an ITR program if you wanted them to. I could be wrong though.

fsugatorbait
09-03-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by NamingException
Uh, you sure? I think they could flash it with an ITR program if you wanted them to. I could be wrong though.

yeah im 99% sure...if you think about it, the A2 head has much more going on within it that would require additional wires to run, plus ive read about this being discussed before. They might be able to take the A2 ecu and flash it with the ITR program but i highly doubt the A3 ecu would be able to run either A2/A flash.

S800Racer
09-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait

yeah im 99% sure... i highly doubt the A3 ecu would be able to run either A2/A flash.

And you are 99% wrong. Check out this question I recently asked Hondata and the response I received:

----- Original Message -----
To: <sales@hondata.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 11:28 AM
Subject: Question
> I am preparing to swap a K20A2 motor into my Civic Si. I am having a
> problem with my local dealer refusing to program the A2 ECU to work with
my
> key and immobilizer. If I send the key and immobilizer from my Civic Si
> along with the ECU for the A2 and request the Hondata #4 flash for the
> K20A2, will the ECU then work with my key and immobilizer and thereby
solve
> the problem that my local dealer refuses to fix.

Answer:
You can just have your SI ecu reflashed with the Hondata K20A2 program.
Hondata Inc
2341 W. 205th St. Suite 106
Torrance, CA 90501
310.782.6383 FAX
http://www.hondata.com

fsugatorbait
09-04-2003, 06:46 AM
i guess the answer was as simple as that. I stand corrected :cool: