PDA

View Full Version : Noisy POPPING CLUTCH --> revisited

BlasTech
08-17-2003, 08:47 PM
Today, 4 weeks after service, my noisy clutch returned.

Same deal as before, a pop, pop, pop at the beginning if you were pushing it slowly, or under normal conditions they all run together in a noise that sounds like "croak"

The noise is definitely from the pedal area.

I dont really know what the techs did, but my battery was loose, so I think they may have replaced the Clucth Master Cylinder, I dont know, but it only solved the noise for a month.

SO

I got out the silicone spray and sprayed it "up" into the joint of the clutch pedal, then, after setting the hand-brake, I pressed the clutch in and sprayed even more up in deh. I pumped the clutch a couple of times and the noise was gone, I went for a drive and its quiet as can be...

Maybe its because Im in Texas, but it seems like the clutch pedal just needs a lube once in a while... I'll let you know how long this lasts.

PS: the "feel" of the clutch is still normal... just fine.

Dunrick
08-17-2003, 09:55 PM
I know exactly what your talking about. But I'm now getting that pop noise when I'm just braking, before I depress the clutch. I dont think this is a clutch matter, sounds like its from the engine. I dont know, just another thought!

BlasTech
08-17-2003, 10:04 PM
I was getting it with the car off, sitting in the drive, pushing the clutch with my hand.

Hiwever, the brake pedal is probably a similar setup with lever, bushings, etc. so I could see the same noise possibly coming from it too.

kenis138
08-18-2003, 05:58 AM
yup, i have same noise every now and then, definitely from the pedal. Ill tell dealership to lube it when they replace my struts.

02SilverSiHB
08-18-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech

Maybe its because Im in Texas, but it seems like the clutch pedal just needs a lube once in a while... I'll let you know how long this lasts.

PS: the "feel" of the clutch is still normal... just fine.
sweet! glad to hear it's an easy fix. I'm good so far, I think it's been 4 weeks for me. We'll see how long it lasts.

tony speed
08-18-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech
I pressed the clutch in and sprayed even more up in deh.

where are you from by the way, orginally? Anywhere in the carib by any chance?

BlasTech
08-18-2003, 07:44 AM
Im a cracker-cajun-texan hooked on phonics, so its all confused. I like to say "up in deh".

Down here, when someone says "there" it actually sounds more like "thay-ure". :D

bigcase
08-18-2003, 11:28 AM
i know what you mean. i sprayed the little cylinder that the clutch pushes into with some WD-40 and pow! no more popping. been like that for a month now and no problems. i think it is the texas heat.

SiBoy
08-18-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm starting to get that noise, i thought it was from me romping on the pedals too hard, but i guess not?

Mugen Power
08-18-2003, 01:02 PM
I dunno if it's just the Texas heat cuz I get the noise up here in Durty Jursey.

bigcase
08-18-2003, 01:05 PM
could just be a crappy clutch design. price we pay for buying a completely new vehicle. im over it.

Tenacious G
08-18-2003, 01:25 PM
i'll have to try this method. i'm too lazy and fed up w/ honda service to have techs look at it. they'll probably say everything is fine, anyway. thanks for the post, BlasTech.

TomR123
08-18-2003, 01:35 PM
It works. I basically did the same thing blastech did just used wd-40 and my clutch doesnt make a peep.

JBS02
08-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Just had the clutch pedal squeak fixed under warrenty per tech service bulletin 02-002. It's really quiet and smooth now. The procedure calls for 1)removing the tubing leading to the clutch master cylinder, 2) then applying a small dab of a special silicone grease ($60 retail) onto the end of the tube and another dab into the clutch master cylinder body where the tubing is fastened, 3) reconnect the tube, and 4) finally, rebleed the clutch system. If this doesn't work, then the procedure says to replace the clutch master cylinder. Prior to this bulletin, the honda techs used to spray silicone lubricant onto the clutch shaft at the fire wall. Some people claim that the solvent used in the spray lubricant can degrade the bearing over time. I think the tech who worked on my car also used the spray, because of the odor in my car after the fix. My last car, 98 Hyundai Tiburon fx, had the same friggen problem.