PDA

View Full Version : oil filter

staticflo
08-17-2003, 10:51 PM
i recently got the 10,000 mile service done to my car at my Honda dealership. They said they changed the oil and filter but im pretty sure the filter is the same one that was on there, previously the oil and filter had been changed by jiffylube. If someone could please post a pic of what the filter should look like so i would know it would be a big help. Im pretty sure it wouldnt be very good to have the same filter on for another 3,000 miles.

Another thing the honda dealership put on the new sticker that my next oil change shouldnt be until 15,000 miles. Now i know in the owners manual it says to change the oil every 5,000 miles but should i stay with my usual 3,000 mile oil and filter changes?

im sure this has all been discussed but thanks for any help!!!!!!

JSIR
08-18-2003, 06:44 AM
Did Jiffylube use a Honda filter when you went there ?, usually they just use one of their aftermarket filters - yellow, orange or white colour most likely. Thus the colour of the filter should help you answer the question. The dealer would have used a typical blue Honda filter.

I doubt the dealer would have left the old filter in place, although the normal maintenance schedule allows for that, most people and dealers included do not go by the normal maintenance schedule but rather the extreme conditions schedule.

Joey

staticflo
08-18-2003, 04:32 PM
what i see written on the filter is "showa" among other things, and it is blue so im guessing they did change it?

also do most people here change there oil every 5,000 miles or the traditional 3,000?

JSIR
08-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by staticflo
what i see written on the filter is "showa" among other things, and it is blue so im guessing they did change it?

also do most people here change there oil every 5,000 miles or the traditional 3,000?

Showa is a very respected Japanese parts company, they also make our shocks among other parts. Wonder where your dealer got that filter, Japanese filters are reputed to be better made than our N. American ones. Certainly Jiffy Lube would not have used that filter, so yes you can be assured that it was changed by the dealer. I wouldnt mind getting my hands on some of those filters. Our Honda filters up here are made by Fram of Canada for Honda.

5000 mile oil changes are fine with good quality oil, 3000 miles is overkill with today's higher quaility oils and your just wasting money changing it that early. It doesnt hurt but its not really needed that soon. If you run something like Mobil1 or other good synthetics you could easily go 7000-9000 miles.

Joey

HondaMan
08-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by JSIR

Showa is a very respected Japanese parts company, they also make our shocks among other parts. Wonder where your dealer got that filter, Japanese filters are reputed to be better made than our N. American ones. Certainly Jiffy Lube would not have used that filter, so yes you can be assured that it was changed by the dealer. I wouldnt mind getting my hands on some of those filters. Our Honda filters up here are made by Fram of Canada for Honda.

5000 mile oil changes are fine with good quality oil, 3000 miles is overkill with today's higher quaility oils and your just wasting money changing it that early. It doesnt hurt but its not really needed that soon. If you run something like Mobil1 or other good synthetics you could easily go 7000-9000 miles.

Joey

True for the most part. :)

It should look something like this:
http://69.0.158.19/live/thumb/A600062766OES.JPG