PDA

View Full Version : 2.25 Mandrel Midpipe

ATRIOT
08-19-2003, 12:31 PM
Just put on my midpipe last night, everything about this mod has pretty much been covered already so i dont have that much more to add. The noise is great, it just deepens the stock sound and is perfect IMO. Hand tools might not cut it when your installing it, i had to heat up the bolts on the flange holding it on to the cat with a torch to get them off. Other than that the install is quick and easy. The only other problem i ran into was that i needed 2 new 15mm nuts and washers, because on the stock midpipe the nuts are welded on, and on my aftermarket pipe there were just 2 holes.

Looks: -n/a
Performance: - Unsure of the actual gains (mods on the K-series seem to be synergestic, being that they show results when only when used in conjunction with other improvments ie. Airflow in, Exhaust flow out.)
Value-10 (one of the cheapest mods you can do)
Sound-10 (it sounds how the EP3 should have sounded stock)

:cool:

03EP3Si
08-19-2003, 01:44 PM
is there a company that makes a mid pipe for our car or did you have it custom made?

ATRIOT
08-19-2003, 01:53 PM
I bought mine used of another ephatch member (thanks Anthony ;) )I think there are a few companies who have them pre-made, MBRP in Canada (not sure of the spelling), and mabey muffler tech. Your best bet is to go to a local exhaust shop and get them to custom make you one with mandrel bends and new flanges. They might not be able to do the mandrel bends though so you might need to call up a few shops.

VIZHUNZ02SI
08-19-2003, 04:25 PM
do u have a stok muffler on it
cuz i wuz gonna get on 2.25 done n have a muffler shop expand the inlet pipe to the same size supposably for better flow of exhuast. i dont know if any one has tried this yet but do u think it would work or should i jus invest into a muffler with a silencer. im tryin to keep it lookin simple with a lil drop n some rime. i dont wanna be heard at 30mph from 3 blocks away ya know

ATRIOT
08-19-2003, 04:30 PM
I really dont thing that there's a need, the CTR's use the exact same muffler, they flow just as well as aftermarket ones, apparently their good for up to 200hp.

VIZHUNZ02SI
08-19-2003, 04:36 PM
if u dont mind me askin what is a ctr

ATRIOT
08-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Civic Type - R

VIZHUNZ02SI
08-19-2003, 07:02 PM
oooh ok so where can i get one

SiR_d1
08-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by ATRIOT
I bought mine used of another ephatch member (thanks Anthony ;) )I think there are a few companies who have them pre-made, MBRP in Canada (not sure of the spelling), and mabey muffler tech. Your best bet is to go to a local exhaust shop and get them to custom make you one with mandrel bends and new flanges. They might not be able to do the mandrel bends though so you might need to call up a few shops.

I glad you like your midpipe;)

BTW I forgot to give you the warranty invoice, you'll need it if you want Brullen's lifetime warranty. I hold on to it and put it with my records so if you ever wanna pick just let me know, I won't throw it away (You'll probably never need it but just letting you know).

TEKBRAIN
08-19-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by VIZHUNZ02SI
oooh ok so where can i get one
Almost everywhere except in America :angel:

SilVic
08-19-2003, 10:03 PM
I'm selling one if you guys want.

oogy-boogy
08-20-2003, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by SilVic
I'm selling one if you guys want.

2 1/4" mid pipe? If so, how much shipped to 01085?

Go_EP_Go
08-20-2003, 09:17 PM
sorry for asking but whats mandrel? :rolleyes:

DyNastySi
08-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Go_EP_Go
sorry for asking but whats mandrel? :rolleyes:

Theres mandrel and crush bend. With Mandrel bend if your getting lets say your getting 2.25 inch piping its gonna be 2.25 throgh the whole pipe. Now when you crush it its not gonna be 2.25 because of the bend you have in the pipe. Know what I mean? Cause I dunno how to explain it any better. Maybe someone else can give it a try.

oldschoolimport
08-21-2003, 12:17 AM
the best way to explain mandrel, take a drinking straw and make it bend around your finger. see how it flattens out? mandrel bending keeps the pipe from flattening out and losing size like the straw did. the mandrel is inserted inside the pipe before bending to help it keep its shape and therefore size and is removed after bending. that is a little over exaggerated, but you get the point.

SilVic
08-21-2003, 12:53 AM
how can u estimate shipping costs? I don't know how to...

chubbychu
08-21-2003, 01:19 AM
is it just me...or are there a lot of basic questions being asked here?

if u dont mind me askin what is a ctr

sorry for asking but whats mandrel?

how can u estimate shipping costs?

i find nothing wrong with these questions...except that, if you searched for a SECOND...you could have found it, but once again, i have nothing against asking simple questions...i just thought this was amusing, so i brought it up. lol!

ssvr6
08-21-2003, 05:09 AM
Here's the explanation for mandrel bent vs crush bent.

Crush Bent:
(Like said above) As you bend the pipe, the inside diameter becomes smaller than the straight pieces. This makes for an inconsistant flow.

Mandrel Bent:
Instead of just bending the pipe, it's actually "stretched" so that the inside diameterof the bends stay the same size as the straights.

I have a 2.25 MB exhaust on my car and it's great!

Steve

rs_1101
08-23-2003, 01:06 AM
well.. the inlet on the muffler is already like 2 and a quarter anyways. i just had my midpipe done, and i didnt even have to unbolt anything, we just cut it out between the flanges, so the cat outlet is still small, but the muffler inlet is pretty big to start, and face it, idk if mandrels even worth the extra few $ anymore. even with a crush bend, your still DOUBLING your flow capacity. i know the guy who owns a local shop so i got mine done for 50$

03EP3Si
09-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Ok for Crush bent.. what if you use a 2.5 inch Crush bent pipe to compensate when the pipe becomes smaller around the bends? Do you think we would lose to much torque with that big of a pipe?

rs_1101
09-04-2003, 05:33 PM
idk. i already feel low end torque loss with my pipe, but its just a butt dyno and itd be very very slight tq loss like 2-3 until you hit about 3500 rpm, then the cam gets out of synk till vtect kicks in. so right aroun 4500+ it sounds so perfect. thats when u can feel the gain, cuz i swear, my motor has never sounded happier at that rpm.

03EP3Si
09-04-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanks bro! 2.25 it is! lataz

rs_1101
09-04-2003, 07:06 PM
hahahaha... yea. dont rush off just yet, does anyone know if theres a sound quality difference between mandrel and crush? lol.. yea and dont forget to visit one of the resonator discussions... to res or not to res (i dont)

03EP3Si
09-04-2003, 07:09 PM
hmmmmm.. i dont think ill need a resognator....i heard it makes a nice sounds without it.. and plus resognator.... just screws up the flow anyway.:D