PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for rear fill in my setup?

PhatBox
08-19-2003, 02:37 PM
I recently upgraded my stereo about a month ago and love the way it sounds, but somewhat feel like I need a bit of rear fill in the cabin. I am surprised that such a small car as the SI could sound so great.

I am running the following:
Kenwood KDC-X969 headunit
Kenwood Music Keg, Kenwood Sirius tuner
Diamond Audio D5 600.2 Amp for the highs (2x150 at 4ohm)
Diamond Audio D5 600.1 Amp for the sub (1x600 at 2ohm)
Dynaudio 240 MKII separates
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10dvq w/ custom box

The separates are mounted in the stock locations although a lot of work was done to fit a 7" mid and a 1.1" tweet. Dynamat extreme on doors, trunk. All eq settings are running at flat or off. I have a good amount of mid base from the separates and the sub fills in the low end. What are your thoughts about rear fill? I don't want to just throw in some coaxs in the rear and run them off the radio, but would also like to conserve some money. I know the ideal choice would be to put in another set of Dynaudio seps, but the speakers and the amp to drive them would be costly. For people with decent audio setups in their cars, tell me about your experiences with fill?

Speck
08-19-2003, 07:59 PM
I can tell you that I ended up selling off the Resolution mids and the CDT mids AND the Memphis References that I had in the rear due to the fact that it brought my soundstage too far back. I am running a cheap set of Lightning Audio coaxs now, basically to cover the speaker holes. I was getting alot of road noise through them when empty.

Having rear fill is something that you either like or don't. Now if you are doing SQ competitions, it's a requirement, but if not, I say save the money Keep what you have, That is a great setup and I really don't think you will notice that much if you put a rear fill in.

BUT, if you DID want that no matter what I would suggest a set of CDTs.

-=speck=-

oogy-boogy
08-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Speck

Having rear fill is something that you either like or don't. Now if you are doing SQ competitions, it's a requirement, but if not, I say save the money Keep what you have, That is a great setup and I really don't think you will notice that much if you put a rear fill in.

-=speck=-

Agreed. Nice post Speck.....If SQ is what you're looking for, stay with what you have. If not, find some fairly warm rears with a decent sensitivity level and run them with a set of PAC Bass Blockers. You'll be efficient, cost conscious and not have to worry about low end distortion.

I'm actually running amplified MB Quart components up front with a set of component mids (no tweeters) in the rears. Blends smoothly without the harsh highes killing my front soundstage.

Speck
08-21-2003, 08:15 AM
That's a great way to go, just mids in the rear.

I am running the cheap man's option and running my rears on a low pass setting from my amp and a High pass filter setting from my Headunit. Thank god for the 9815 :) Works ok so far, it actually fills the car instead of changing the soundstage... now it has take almost a month to get it right and I am ALMOST happy with it.... :)

-=speck=-

oogy-boogy
08-21-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Speck
That's a great way to go, just mids in the rear.

I am running the cheap man's option and running my rears on a low pass setting from my amp and a High pass filter setting from my Headunit. Thank god for the 9815 :) Works ok so far, it actually fills the car instead of changing the soundstage... now it has take almost a month to get it right and I am ALMOST happy with it.... :)

-=speck=-

Great idea speck. I never thought of that.