PDA

View Full Version : Lug Nut Stud Removal

SilVic
08-19-2003, 10:21 PM
How hard is it to replace the lug nut studs? Dealer tried to quote me 178 for only 2 studs. Has anyone tried to replace it? Step by step would help or hints/tips? Thanks. Oh yeah, what tool would I need to take out the screw for the rotor? I know it's hard to take out. Thanks

dchu
08-20-2003, 01:44 AM
Front or back? The back is a lot easier to replace because the hub is easier to remove then the front. For the front you have to take out the whole knuckle then have to hub pressed out with a hydraulic press. The studs themselves are probably $5 each, but it takes some labor to take the studs out. To take out the rotor screws you'll need a impact driver, which costs about $20. It's a tool that you hit with a mallet and it spins at the same time.

SilVic
08-20-2003, 10:21 AM
what's a knuckle? It's for the front, but I understand the impact driver, I just don't know what a knuckle is and how hard is it to compress it. Thanks

dchu
08-21-2003, 01:16 AM
The knuckle is the cast iron piece that contains the hub and attaches to the strut and lower control arm. You can't do it yourself because you need hydraulic press to install/remove the hub from the knuckle. You have to hammer the stud out from the hub but the knuckle gets in the way of the stud so it can't be completely knocked out. That's why you need the hub pressed out.

!@#$%
08-21-2003, 03:13 PM
sounds like alot of trouble to me. id just pay to get it fixed :angel: