PDA

View Full Version : HP Header

CivilEngSI
08-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Do any of you have one? What was your Horsepower increase? Is it comparable to the DC Sports header? Headers for imports are very expensive. I couldnt believe some of the prices for just one header. I called Jackson Racing a little bit ago about the header they have coming out. The dude told me the list price was like 649!! WTF? Header(s) *plural* for my mustang were only 150 bucks! Man. This import thing is getting expensive.:eek:

Steve02Si
08-20-2003, 11:43 AM
You bought the wrong car, dood. Sell it and get a WRX or better yet a 1G DSM AWD if you're looking for an import with good bang for the buck from mods. I sold my Stang and got a 93 talon, had it running 11s for less than it cost me to get the Stang to go 12.20s. A header on this car will net you a couple HP, not worth it unless it's going along with other mods. You're better off saving for a swap or forced induction than wasting money on bolt-ons that give you a few HP each.

David K.
08-20-2003, 01:13 PM
Yeah it really sucks. I remember my 5.0L was so cheap to build. The mods for these cars work, but there really is no major weak link in the factory parts, so don't expect to be blown away by adding exhaust, header, intake, etc. I had the HP header on my car for a while; it works really good and is fairly cheap, but my setup wasn't very satisfying for daily driving. I lost too much low-end power. I'll be waiting for a good long-tube header that I can buy used.

Tenacious G
08-20-2003, 01:28 PM
that JR header, if i'm not mistaken, is a race header and eliminates the cat. but yeah, quality aftermarket parts are not cheap for imports. and with the design of the exhaust system, with the cat being so close to the engine and the fact we have no VTEC mechanism on the K20A3 exhaust valves, it creates a bottleneck so it's tough to get significant gains from header upgrades.

here's an interesting thread about how the header works in conjunction w/ other bolt ons.

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19021