PDA

View Full Version : sub for k-series DIY

sterlingSi
08-20-2003, 01:18 PM
i'm looking into subs that would be best for the www.k-series.com DIY speaker enclosure. i preferably want a sinlge sub and mainly in the 10" range. plus i have a $50 gift certificate to crutchfield.com. any body got a good suggestion?

fsugatorbait
08-20-2003, 02:29 PM
JL 10w7;)

shimmy_yaz
08-20-2003, 05:03 PM
good call

oogy-boogy
08-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Yeah, great call Phil. Got to love that JL......;)

Speck
08-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Saying that you want a 10" sub, is like saying to want food for dinner.

What do you listen to? What amp do you have to power it? What is your price range?

I am going to try and pick up a 10W6v2 today, but I have also looked at the IDMAX 10", ED 10", Brahma 10" and a dozen others.

-=speck=-

BlackNRedSi
08-21-2003, 12:18 PM
let me just tell you this one thing...

if you go the route of a 10w7 beware....that puts out some NAZSTY bass...:)

and another thing you want to look out for too, dont put a w7 in your car if you dont have the highs that will overpower the bass of that sub, so the bass doesnt outplay your highs....

not trying to scare you away from the sub, its a fking awesome sub! just giving you a few pointers first....but yeah if you get it, please do post pictures!

Eric

EDIT: also look into the enclosure debth that the K-Series DIY has...because that sub on K-Series its magnet prolly isnt as big as the 10w7....that magnet on the 10w7 is long, and prolly as big if not alittle bigger than the cone of the sub.... God you gotta love the W7!!!

Speck
08-21-2003, 12:47 PM
Hey E! Trade you a W7 for that chick in yer Avatar :)

-=speck=-

BlackNRedSi
08-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Speck
Hey E! Trade you a W7 for that chick in yer Avatar :)

-=speck=-

Hell no, i keep her locked up in my closet, and only take her out when i need some!!! hahaha

HEEEY Some smackoff on 7thGenCivic stole my Avatar!!! I am hype! :):):)

sterlingSi
08-21-2003, 04:36 PM
Ok, i'm new to this so i'll go ahead and tell you that i listen to everything, but mainly rock. yet i still throw in opera, techno, bluegrass, jazz, classical, international, etc. etc.

my main problem is that i don't want to spend all my money on just this you know, and i don't have an amp yet either but i'm planning on probably a Rockford Fosgate mono sub because i don't plan on amping my stock speakers cause i definitely don't have the cash for that (BTW i'm 17 and unemployed kinda). soooo what's the best suggestion now? for sub and amp that is reasonable but still has good sound, and i don't need insane amounts of bass just enough to feel the music if you know what i mean.

sterlingSi
08-21-2003, 04:39 PM
plus i have this $50 gift certificate to crutchfield, and i don't think they carry JL.

BlackNRedSi
08-21-2003, 06:41 PM
ok, go to this thread and post there

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19623

its Specks sale...he is selling a JL10 w3v2....its a great sub, not too expensive @ all..and will bump real good!

ill check crutchfields stuff tonight for you, see what i can find that i think you would like....ill check their amps as well

Eric

sterlingSi
08-24-2003, 05:39 PM
thanks . . . i really don't know much about this stuff so this will be a project that will take months.

also, i was wondering are free-air subs any good cause that seems like it would be really easy to deal with.

here are two that are kind of in my price range (i'm a cheap bastard):
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-9US29X0dCHY/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&c=10&g=67600&I=20603KM10+

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-9US29X0dCHY/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&c=10&g=67600&I=130TSW254F

Speck
08-24-2003, 06:10 PM
I would not recommend a free air woofer due to the sound quality and the size of the trunk. You can go to forum.sounddomain.com and do a search on Free Air.

Sorry I am not saying much more on this, I am really exhausted. I will try and pass on info later.

-=speck=-

sterlingSi
08-25-2003, 05:23 PM
thanks

BarracksSi
08-25-2003, 07:51 PM
What I had to say about free air subs in hatchbacks in an earlier thread (I'm copying & pasting.. don't want to type it all over again.. lol)

The original is here: http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16740&highlight=free+AND+air

Free-air subs aren't really meant for an installation like that -- that is, the installation you'll have to do to make it work won't be that different from one that would require a regular, enclosure-mounted sub.

"Normal" subs, we know, use an enclosure for two main reasons -- to contain the sound waves from the rear of the speaker (or manage them so that they complement the sound from the front, as with a ported box), and to provide suspension stiffness by using the enclosed air as a spring.

Free air subs are designed to work with nearly zero air suspension. They usually have stiffer spiders and surrounds than an otherwise similar "normal" sub, allowing them to use a vehicle's entire trunk as an enclosure. That's why you can mount one to the rear shelf of a sedan or coupe. No box is needed, but you need to make the entire trunk airtight so that no other sound leaks back into the passenger compartment.

SO, the idea of mounting a sub in the rear floor, poking into the spare tire, would require that you seal the airspace behind the sub for the system to sound worthwhile. Considering the size of that airspace, you'd be better off with a "normal" sub designed for an enclosure.

HOWEVER, I've been wondering a long, long time if it were possible to fabricate an enclosure that could be OPENED to allow access to the spare tire, which would be contained INSIDE the enclosure. This could avoid taking up hardly any luggage space, possibly only raising the floor an inch or two.

What I've done in the past for a no-brainer sub installation was use a truck-style box laid on its back on the rear floor. I've never really liked the idea of having a bulky "hatchback-style" box. Using a broad, flat box allowed me to use an enclosure with just as much internal volume as a more cubic-shaped box, and still left enough room to carry bulky items & luggage.

sterlingSi
08-26-2003, 12:53 PM
http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP_SPARE_TIRE_SUB

this allows you to keep the spare and your trunk space; this is what i plan on doing but you have to be careful about the sub because it would be exposed i'm thinking a really tough cover for the sub.

BarracksSi
08-26-2003, 04:23 PM
Now if I had access to the space and tools, I could save a few hundred compared to a custom shop job.

sterlingSi
08-28-2003, 11:12 AM
using fiberglass is the only thing i'm worried about it looks to me to be pretty hard to do. for instance if i want to have it colored can i put dye in the mix or should i just paint it?

also i'm still looking for the perfect sub, i'm seriously contemplating the audiobahn AWC 10T just becuase it's so affordable and it's a versatile sub.