PDA

View Full Version : what car would u have gotten/wanted instead of an EP3

Go_EP_Go
08-20-2003, 09:38 PM
im bored and im just wondering wat cars did u guys want before or instead of getting the ur si's. For me i wanted a 99-01 subaru impreza 2.5 rs, 03 hyundai tiburon gtv6, or Nissan 240sx either 89-94 and do a s13 conversion or a sileighty or 95-96 240sx zenki s14...but it was my parents choice since its their money so they got me the Si

- kevin

DyNastySi
08-20-2003, 09:59 PM
I was bout to get me a GTI. My dad saw that the guy on the lot was an Indian. Keep in mind this is right when the war started. So hes all like oh hell no we have to support our troops first. Then I told him that the EP was made in Europe. So thats when we went to the honda dealership.:angel:

civic hatch boi
08-20-2003, 10:00 PM
type s

Civicvtec1ps
08-20-2003, 10:11 PM
20th golf

TezGari
08-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by DyNastySi
I was bout to get me a GTI. My dad saw that the guy on the lot was an Indian. Keep in mind this is right when the war started. So hes all like oh hell no we have to support our troops first. Then I told him that the EP was made in Europe. So thats when we went to the honda dealership.:angel:

The war wasnt with India, it was with iraq/afganistan rebels...Lol...

I wanted the GTi also, but it all came down to the three 4bangers.....RSX (base)....SPEC-V....Si.....I didnt have fun test driving the SPEC V, although if they had a red one w/ full package on the lot, i woulda gotten it....The rsx, i didnt get because everyone had one, (but i still love em).....So i got the Si....:D ....Not to popular but just diffrent...At first i use to be made fun of, "minivan", K20 sucks...etc...But over the few years, i think our cars has gotten respect...also im glad i didnt get the Spec V, i heard thier was a whole lot of problems with them...Also the RSX has high insurance i "heard"....But i think their all nice cars.....Screw em all and get a STi!!!!!!!!

513n179
08-20-2003, 10:21 PM
i almost got a Rav 4 a few months before the SI... i'm happy with my choice... but i'd be happier with an RSX-S though... oh well.

CaptainMurphy
08-20-2003, 10:21 PM
I would have liked a 97-98 240SX, and then done a SR20DET swap in that puppy. Or maybe a Subaru 2.5 RS, old or new, but they dealer ships didn't have any 2.5s with a manual. Or maybe an RX-7, which will never happen until I'm older... My mom didn't want me to get a used car though, since my ep is gonna last me until it dies, or I can afford to buy myself a new one. most likely until it dies.

IceD out N CALI
08-20-2003, 10:23 PM
probably a regular civic coupe

TezGari
08-20-2003, 10:23 PM
I honestly wanted an integra (b16a) swap and then turbo it, but i wanted fun and relaibility W/ warranty....So i got the Si!!! But i wish i coulda gotten a 240sx SR20det swap...turbo....;)

pLopSI
08-20-2003, 10:28 PM
I was in the market for a hatch. My choices were the mini cooper base or S, gti, ep3, or an ek hatch with a b16a swap. The mini costed to much, gti as well, and couldn't find an ek in good condition.

civic hatch boi
08-20-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by trinispeed
I honestly wanted an integra (b16a) swap and then turbo it, but i wanted fun and relaibility W/ warranty....So i got the Si!!! But i wish i coulda gotten a 240sx SR20det swap...turbo....;)

isn't the integra b18?

the JigGa mAn
08-20-2003, 11:15 PM
i was gonna get a 03 WRX or a 03 mini S and i almost got 00 black ITR

lastsaga
08-20-2003, 11:28 PM
mazdaspeed protege, spec v

StrangeShadow
08-21-2003, 12:25 AM
I had my eye on a gsr...but right now I would get a mr2(94' style), silvia, 86 levin, something more low key...not known by all the rice guys.

bobdobbs
08-21-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
i was gonna get a 03 WRX or a 03 mini S and i almost got 00 black ITR

Dontcha think the EP3 is a better car than a Cooper S? The Cooper gets attention like Pamela Anderson topless, but it's ride is WAY too stiff, and it's back seat and trunk are comically small. I drove both cars back-to-back and much preferred the EP3 considering I'd have to drive it every day.

EP3_DC5
08-21-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by bobdobbs

Dontcha think the EP3 is a better car than a Cooper S? The Cooper gets attention like Pamela Anderson topless, but it's ride is WAY too stiff, and it's back seat and trunk are comically small. I drove both cars back-to-back and much preferred the EP3 considering I'd have to drive it every day.

Lol, this is the reason you shouldn't get the RSX-S or the Celica GTS. The Cooper S is an AWESOME handling machine. The emphasis was not to make it a boulevard cruiser, but a Mini BMW, and that is EXACTLY what it drives like.
Go drive one on a smooth, twisty road and you'll understand what I mean.
And BTW, the Mini Cooper S is much more car than the EP3, it is much more upscale and pricey.

ssvr6
08-21-2003, 05:26 AM
20th AE GTi or Cooper S.

I also agree about the Cooper S being upscale, it's also a great handler. I just wishi it had more power.

Steve

CivilEngSI
08-21-2003, 05:40 AM
03 Cobra or Z06 :D

But seriously. I looked at the Type S, WRX and GTI. I couldnt pass up the price they were giving me on the SI

BarracksSi
08-21-2003, 06:08 AM
Hatchback of some kind -- older Hondas, VW, Mini, Subaru.. Any Honda would've been fine, the Golf isn't quite my style, the Mini's too small for me, and it seemed like Subarus cost too much (of course, that was probably because I was looking at the WRX hatch).

I also pondered the Matrix (OK, but too much like a van), Celica (impractical), and RSX (neat, but also impractical for me), and Proteg

Gasp23
08-21-2003, 07:03 AM
I would of gotten the EP3 no matter what. It what I always wanted. I thought of the RSX-S and the Mini Cooper S but they were too much and impractical for what I need my car.

Like BarracksSi said, if I wouldn't of gotten the Si I don't know what I would of ended with. All I know it would of been a 1- a Honda. 2- Hatchback. 3- Stick, no automatic.

phatfreeza
08-21-2003, 08:01 AM
wow...everyone has suprisingly similiar tastes...my choices were:

1. ep3
2. matrix xrs - didn't have one on the lot, couldn't test drive
3. golf gti - decided the styling was getting kinda old
4. celica gt-s - too expensive
5. rsx type s- too expensive
6. mini cooper - too impratical

all in all, i'm super happy with my choice! just wish i had the type-s motor :) :p

Mad02Si
08-21-2003, 08:10 AM
I went to the dealer to see a 00 GSR but found it to cramped for my big black ass, so while I was sitting there I saw the Ep test drove it liked it brought it. But my other options were....

92-95 Si Hatch> Swap in a B18c1 maybe turbo later
99-00 Civic Hatch do the same as above
2.5 RS>wanted to look into Jdm Sti engine swap
And the car I wish I could have got a 00 Audi S4 the guy refinanced my house and only wanted 25k for it. It was already dropped have wheels, intake, exhaust, and was my favorite color dark blue. I had major pipe dreams about doing the RS6 turbo upgade and putting 500 hp in that bad boy, damn I wanted that car bad..

Zero Three Si
08-21-2003, 08:17 AM
Didn't get because

Cooper S.....never test drove it....thought it cost more then it really did

350z.....because i couldn't afford her or the insurance

g35.....ummm $$$$$

RX8.....because i would kill myself

evo.....because it came out after the EP

CleanBlackSi02
08-21-2003, 08:28 AM
I wish I had test driven a Mini Cooper S before I decided on the EP. I was set on a GTI 1.8t, but the reliability factor kept me away.

CivilEngSI
08-21-2003, 08:40 AM
Have any of you guys driven an SRT-4? Are these things all they're cracked up to be? Some guy told me stock for stock the Neon would put the smack down on a LS1 z28. I laughed in his face.

BlackCivi02
08-21-2003, 09:15 AM
I want to get a 03 STI.

bobdobbs
08-21-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by EP3_DC5

Lol, this is the reason you shouldn't get the RSX-S or the Celica GTS. The Cooper S is an AWESOME handling machine.

I guess I should have explained my criteria is it has to be a daily driver. I have other sports cars and motorcycles that I don't want to drive every day. I think the EP3 (as well as the RSX and Celica) is a far better daily driver than the Cooper S. Even the base Cooper was better. Obviously that's not the case if you live at the track. I don't live at the track.

RockEP_SS**
08-21-2003, 10:39 AM
I woulda got an 02 WRX! I was also thinking about waiting for the TSX.

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

r3p00c
08-21-2003, 11:11 AM
i had a deposit down on an '02 2.5RS... and I was also looking at a gti 1.8T. i'm glad i got what i got. :D

Go_EP_Go
08-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
20th AE GTi or Cooper S.

I also agree about the Cooper S being upscale, it's also a great handler. I just wishi it had more power.

Steve

over the weekend i was reading one of my friend's car magazines i forgot what it was called i think it was AUTOMOTIVE eh soemthing like that but it shows the lineups for 04 and they r releasing a turbocharged mini cooper with i think 200+ hp so yeah its gonna have some power...and i was reading a japanese magazine and i saw a preview of the new Supra's...they look mighty fine...resembles a ferrari

furious
08-21-2003, 11:52 AM
92-94 NSX

STI

Evo

WRX

Accord V6

I really could have easily afford to purchase any of the above, but here is why I didn't:

I want to wait to buy a NEW NSX when I make a little more

STI wasn't yet available

Evo wasn't yet available

WRX, I would do STI, but I'm not putting up with crappy interior and rattles from a normal Subaru

Accord V6, don't want to be look down upon by drivers of luxury sedans and coupes

Now though in retrospect, I kinda think that I should have just waited for the STI or maybe the cheaper Z4, I guess I ultimately wanted more cushion from my wallet..

Oh well, it was a sound decision and I don't complain one bit about its beauty and elegance...just wish for more stock power is all....

BSEVEER
08-21-2003, 11:53 AM
I was looking into getting a 2000 Accord V6 Coupe or a 2000 Chevy S10 Xtreme. I needed something I could put my bike in so even though I love the looks and perfromance of the Mini it was out of the question because of the limited space and I thought they were much more expensive than they are. This is my 3rd Civic hatch and I'm very happy I stuck with them.

tony speed
08-21-2003, 12:05 PM
I had looked into a wrx, didn't like it - a integra type-r, too expensive - rsx type-s, didn't like it and too expensive - I was going to get a 01 prelude, but fate had it that there were no good preludes on the lot that day and one really great 02 si. The prelude is to cramped anyway.

IceD out N CALI
08-21-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by furious
92-94 NSX

STI

Evo

WRX

Accord V6

I really could have easily afford to purchase any of the above, but here is why I didn't:

I want to wait to buy a NEW NSX when I make a little more

STI wasn't yet available

Evo wasn't yet available

WRX, I would do STI, but I'm not putting up with crappy interior and rattles from a normal Subaru

Accord V6, don't want to be look down upon by drivers of luxury sedans and coupes

Now though in retrospect, I kinda think that I should have just waited for the STI or maybe the cheaper Z4, I guess I ultimately wanted more cushion from my wallet..

Oh well, it was a sound decision and I don't complain one bit about its beauty and elegance...just wish for more stock power is all....

yeah i kinda thought about those old school nsx's but then i thought dayum, if anything goes wrong on that car it is going to cost a fortune + insurance

k20hatch
08-21-2003, 01:04 PM
A 2000 Integra GSR or a 1999 Honda Civic H/B....Those are the two i test drove but when i got in the ep i couldnt get back out!

rob_lewis
08-21-2003, 01:06 PM
The EP3 is my wife's car.

She had ordered a Cooper S. When it came in, the dealer was being a prick, so she got pissed and walked. (Funny, though, they were fine when I picked up my Cooper...)

Anyway, we talked about what was along the same lines price/performance wise.

She drove the SRT-4. Said it was a DAMN fast car, but hated the boom of the exhaust.

We decided to test some others on Saturday. (Mazdaspeed Protege, Focus SVT, Civic Si, GTI, etc.)

She knew nothing about the Civic Si. I told her she should drop by the Honda dealership one day after work (right by her office), and test one.

She called me about an hour later and was bringing it home.

She LOVED it (key point was being able to chirp the tires in second) and at $15500 we couldn't beat the deal.

-Rob

pLopSI
08-21-2003, 01:09 PM

MrCivic03
08-21-2003, 01:29 PM
ya my friend is 20 and he drove my car he squeeeled them damn tires when he doubled clutched it. he also knows how to drift not the best but he has been drivin a hot civic since like 90. i would have gottin a mini s or a civic coupe.

Spidey
08-21-2003, 02:13 PM
I was checking out the Nissan Spec V and Protoge 5. Would have also waited and checked out Mazdaspeed.

I would have liked to get Cooper S, Nissan Frontier, Infiniti G35 coupe.

02TafWhtSi
08-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Now that I think about it, I would have saved a little longer for a black 350Z Enthusiast :p

spydur
08-21-2003, 04:56 PM
I've test driven an EP3 three times, I like it but I haven't been totally convinced. I still enjoy my stock, 15 year old CRX Si. I'm the original owner and after 165,000 miles, I feel it is more fun to drive than the EP3. But, if the CTR becomes available - my CRX's days maybe numbered!

Go_EP_Go
08-21-2003, 05:07 PM
seeing the cars u guys could of gotten and can afford like nsx, evo, sti's plus insurance just wondering why u guys opted for the EP u guys for me if i had that money and didnt want those cars i would of gotten something like a BMW 330ci or something like that haha just wondering with ur price range u guys had a wide range of choices

IceD out N CALI
08-21-2003, 05:33 PM
for me i needed the car asap. the other car (89 ef) took a dump and i didnt feel like having a project car as my daily driver and the ep seemed peppy enough. I wasnt sure i'd want it for a long time so i leased it for 3 years.
i could have gotten the rsx but that would have been stretchin it too thin and I dont want to be one of those people that has a supernice car but has no money or lives in a dump

eurosteez
08-21-2003, 10:34 PM
Original rice. 92 CRX B16 swap and turbo and stiff as a go cart. *drooling*. 02 SI is a damn good birthday present though.

IchBinEinSiR
08-22-2003, 05:37 AM
360 Modena...:p

Ohh, in the realm of the realistic? Without laughing, now that there is a turbo Forrester, it would probably be able to dual roll better than the EP3 as a family hauler and fun car in one.

But the EP3 does a great job right now, just want to save up for a set of Mugen springs/shocks and 16" wheels and tires. After I do that I might not want anything else, as these are the two major sore points of the SiR anyway....

ssvr6
08-22-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Go_EP_Go

over the weekend i was reading one of my friend's car magazines i forgot what it was called i think it was AUTOMOTIVE eh soemthing like that but it shows the lineups for 04 and they r releasing a turbocharged mini cooper with i think 200+ hp so yeah its gonna have some power.

The Cooper S is already Supercharged (163hp) from an Eaton blower. The Cooperworks package ups it to 200hp and 177ft lbs at 4k rpm.

The kit includes:

Enhanced Supercharger
Modified Head
Reprogrammed ECU
Hi Po Exhaust

Steve

tony speed
08-22-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by spydur
I've test driven an EP3 three times, I like it but I haven't been totally convinced. I still enjoy my stock, 15 year old CRX Si. I'm the original owner and after 165,000 miles, I feel it is more fun to drive than the EP3. But, if the CTR becomes available - my CRX's days maybe numbered!

??? why would a ctr suddenly be more fun to drive? It's still as heavy as an si, almost the same suspension. If you're talking only about speed, I dust crx sis with our engine...Not getting it

spydur
08-22-2003, 09:24 AM
Tony Speed:

Unless you have driven a CRX Si and an EP3 back to back, you can't understand the difference. It's not about speed alone, it's the overall driving experience. The CRX has a better balanced suspension, and a more direct steering feel. Unfortunately, the EP3 suffers from poor stock tyres and the assisted steering feels a little out of touch. Also, the EP3's rear suspension has too much rebound and HONDA USA has dialed in a little too much understeer. Now, if one was to buy a new EP3 for $16,000 and have $2,000 to spend on light weight 16"wheels, performance tyres and a properly balanced after market suspension - now that would be a different animal.

The CTR has the aforementioned modifications plus 200 HP.

Burgh
08-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Probably a used Scooby 2.5RS. Or maaaybe a Celica GT.

STP03BlueSI
08-22-2003, 01:54 PM
if i had the $$$ i would have gotten a EVO 8

mmmm AWD turbo

RiceCzechs
08-22-2003, 04:44 PM
If I had a bit more $$$

1) Neon SRT-4
2) a properly optioned Mini Cooper S

If I had a decent chunk more $$$:
Caterham Super 7 with either a VW 1.8T or rotary

If I didn't need a warranty and an everyday car, I could've done more with less:

Off the top of my head, some projects I've been really wanting to do...

Nissan Sentra SE-R set up for track use
VW Caddy in GTI trim with heavily modded 1.8T mill
BMW 2002tii
Early 911

There are tons of other projects, too...

eurosteez
08-22-2003, 06:38 PM
Audi S3 quatro. beast of a hatch. Audi is not to popular in this forum though

ep pilot
08-23-2003, 01:10 AM
I almost purchased a tornado red 1.8t GTi 5/spd but Volkswagen would not buy back my lemon 1.8t Jetta then sell their new '02 GTi at invoice, so I said F-*** to VW.

I really wanted a 2002 Mazda Protege 5 in (red) or (white) I drove it, it handled 10x better than the Si, but had no guts what so ever. and at the time, they were selling well and the dealers wanted like $18K for a loaded P5 (sorry no way)

I thought about an '02 EX Coupe Civic in (red). But hard to spend $16.5 on that, when next to it they've got Ep's for $15.5???

Thought about the Spec-V for a week, until I drove it, then looked at it up close. The front bumper was giving me nightmares, the ride was to firm for a daily driver, albeit a riot in the twisties. The dash & interior looks drab and recalls an era when Nissan built un-enthusiastic fleet vehicles. The R/F stereo was a nice touch, yet I found fit & finish sub-par.

-Ryan

sleepin02si
08-23-2003, 07:16 AM
If I had the money, the new wrx sti or a 350z.

rook
08-24-2003, 12:29 PM
Audi S4 Avant. twin turbo, quattro, plus many performance upgrades are available.

rook

skinsfsu
08-26-2003, 10:40 PM
wrx sti came out after
ex-v6 6 speed accord coupe didnt wanna waite till it came out but will be next car probably
rsx type s not sure

PRODIUS
08-27-2003, 07:45 AM
White WRX

DTR
08-27-2003, 11:14 AM
i was actually in the market for a 99-00 EK, i found one at carmax, had to come up with a co-signer and return the following weekend only to find out that it was sold. it was in great condition, the previous owner was an old lady that didnt really drive it. so i found another EK hatch, but it was automatic, so i said f**k it ill buy an EP, cus my buddy had just bought one like 4 months earlier. honestly with the word that the VW GTI R32 is coming to the US, i would have definately waited and saved alittle more to buy that one or for that matter a VW GTI 1.8T or VR6, i like that body design.