PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Neuspeed is in the making of a short shifter....

02SilverSiHB
08-30-2002, 01:30 PM
http://www.neuspeed.com/pages/shortshifter.html

02SilverSiHB
08-30-2002, 01:32 PM
and it's only 90 bucks. It says 2001+ Civic, so I'd assume that's for the Si also

nikkotyper
08-30-2002, 01:42 PM
I had a NeuSpeed short shifter for my VR6 and it was JUNK. Shifting it was worse than rowing through the OEM shifter. Subsequently, I replaced it with another one (DieselGeek) which was vasty better quality and allowed quicker shifts.

I also had some other stuff from them that I eventually replaced (intake and exhaust.)

I might be making a hasty generalization but it seems as if NeuSpeed makes stuff of average quality (mostly because they are not focused - they make stuff for both japanese and german cars.)

But, maybe I am proven wrong.

One thing is certain - I will not but anything from them until I hear some good reviews.

02SilverSiHB
08-30-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by nikkotyper
I had a NeuSpeed short shifter for my VR6 and it was JUNK. Shifting it was worse than rowing through the OEM shifter. Subsequently, I replaced it with another one (DieselGeek) which was vasty better quality and allowed quicker shifts.

I also had some other stuff from them that I eventually replaced (intake and exhaust.)

I might be making a hasty generalization but it seems as if NeuSpeed makes stuff of average quality (mostly because they are not focused - they make stuff for both japanese and german cars.)

But, maybe I am proven wrong.

One thing is certain - I will not but anything from them until I hear some good reviews.
I had one on my previous civic and had no problems. Maybe the set up was different in the VW? Was it an actually shifter replacement, or was it one of those bracket things they use to make the shifting shorter (kinda like the 01 preludes)

MPgrunt81
08-30-2002, 01:46 PM
I doubt that includes the ep hatch. 2001 and up is probably refering to em's. There is to much of a difference in our sifters to be able to make a universal ss kit. I drove a 01 civic coupe before I bought my Si and I bought a short shifter for it. There is no way that it could have been adapted to my Si.

nikkotyper
08-30-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

I had one on my previous civic and had no problems. Maybe the set up was different in the VW? Was it an actually shifter replacement, or was it one of those bracket things they use to make the shifting shorter (kinda like the 01 preludes)

It was the middle one for 02J tranny.
http://www.neuspeed.com/pages/beetleshifterpage.html

Some of my other friends had NeuSpeed stuff and they did not like it either; however, all of them had VWs. I have no experience with Honda/Acura NewSpeed parts.
You seem to be a credible guy - If you buy it, let us know how it feels.
Maybe you change my mind.

Thanks,
-- Nick

02SilverSiHB
08-30-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by MPgrunt81
I doubt that includes the ep hatch. 2001 and up is probably refering to em's. There is to much of a difference in our sifters to be able to make a universal ss kit. I drove a 01 civic coupe before I bought my Si and I bought a short shifter for it. There is no way that it could have been adapted to my Si.
damn your right. I was jumping too soon. I was thinking, hey, the RSX is about the same...blah. I forgot they don't have the cool shifter we have :D
I think the shifting is fine in mine, I really could care less for shorter throws, but there are some that do want it. Oh well

02SilverSiHB
08-30-2002, 01:58 PM

Some of my other friends had NeuSpeed stuff and they did not like it either; however, all of them had VWs. I have no experience with Honda/Acura NewSpeed parts.
You seem to be a credible guy - If you buy it, let us know how it feels.
Maybe you change my mind.

Thanks,
-- Nick

:D I hear sarcasim in your internet voice :) I don't want one any way, but for those who do, neupseed might be the first to come out with one

nikkotyper
08-30-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

:D I hear sarcasim in your internet voice :) I don't want one any way, but for those who do, neupseed might be the first to come out with one

No sacrasam. Not at all. Not over internet.

02SilverSiHB
08-30-2002, 03:23 PM

No sacrasam. Not at all. Not over internet.
:D hahahhaa

SVTNate
08-30-2002, 04:45 PM
My friend has the Neuspeed kit in his '99 Si, and it's worked well for him.

I don't know if B&M plans to make a kit for the EP, but I've had a B&M in my Contour for two years now and it's been great. Much smoother and shorter throws, plus the shifter is nice and beefy.

Would you have to get under the car to install one on the EP, like you did on the '99-'00 Si? My Ford is much easier, you remove the plastic trim around the shifter and do everything from inside the cabin.

02SilverSiHB
08-30-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by SVTNate
My friend has the Neuspeed kit in his '99 Si, and it's worked well for him.

I don't know if B&M plans to make a kit for the EP, but I've had a B&M in my Contour for two years now and it's been great. Much smoother and shorter throws, plus the shifter is nice and beefy.

Would you have to get under the car to install one on the EP, like you did on the '99-'00 Si? My Ford is much easier, you remove the plastic trim around the shifter and do everything from inside the cabin.
yeah, fords are pretty easy to work with on the short shifters. I'm not sure about the ep yet.