PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove emblems?

CleanBlackSi02
08-22-2003, 10:37 PM
I'm probably going to take off my JDM emblems, but I wanted to get some advice before I started to chip them off. I had a set on a previous car and I ended up ruining the emblems and leaving a chip on the car when I took 'em off. Other than taking my time and using a blow dryer, what would you recommend doing to avoid damage to both surfaces? What kind of cleaner would you use to get off the excess goo? I've tried goo gone, bug and tar remover, and tar remover and they all don't seem to do much. Thanks!

paralysis
08-23-2003, 06:56 AM
I don't know if the JDM emblems stick different than the stock emblems. When I took off my stock emblems I used Dental floss and goo gone. Goo gone or any goo remover works best if you are not in a hurry, soak a paper towel in the goo remover and just let it set on the goo for about 5 minutes then take a dry paper towel and wipe the goo. It will start to ball up and stick to the paper towel then repeat till it is all gone. Hope this helps

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-23-2003, 07:06 AM
no need to use a hair dryer...
just use an adhesive remover and dental floss...
the adhesive remover softens the tape holding the emblem on...
the dental floss slides behind the emblem allowing you to basically "saw it off"...
this way you wont damage the emblem...
emblem will obviously need new double-sided tape if it's to be re-used, but at least its not trashed.

andy
08-23-2003, 09:55 AM
I didn't use a hair dryer on mine. I just let it sit in the warm
garage for a little while, then went out and pulled them off
using a piece of string to "saw" through it, as Adam mentioned.

After that, just sprayed it down with goo-gone, let it sit for
about 2-3 minutes and then just rolled it off with my fingers and
a paper towel. Came off pretty easy.

Be sure to wax the area once you are done.

CleanBlackSi02
08-23-2003, 12:25 PM
The only problem with using floss on the rear emblem is that it is a bit recessed. I hope I'll be able to get it in there. I'll try and find some adhesive remover in the meantime.

CleanBlackSi02
09-01-2003, 10:38 AM
Today I used some "Un-Du" adhesive remover and the thin plastic tool that it comes with. The emblems came off without scratches or marks and the paint also remained unharmed. This stuff kills any tar remover or Goo Gone type product. Un-Du works instantly and it's practically effortless.

...now who wants some like new JDM emblems? :D

raiyo
09-04-2003, 09:15 PM
Use some fishing line, works great. Make sure the adhesive behind the emblem is warm. Use a hair dryer or some natural sunlight. Just use your finger to rub the adhesive off the body. No need to use any harsh chemicals.

potator
09-23-2003, 09:03 PM
Why are you removing your JDM emblems, if you don't mind me asking?

CleanBlackSi02
09-23-2003, 10:57 PM
I removed them because I've decided to build a booster sleeper.

ep3hatchattack
09-28-2003, 10:24 AM
First I'll need a snorkel, an avocado, and some ducktape....come on bro....ive done it with less ........:)

Brettnyt
09-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by andy
I didn't use a hair dryer on mine. I just let it sit in the warm
garage for a little while, then went out and pulled them off
using a piece of string to "saw" through it, as Adam mentioned.

After that, just sprayed it down with goo-gone, let it sit for
about 2-3 minutes and then just rolled it off with my fingers and
a paper towel. Came off pretty easy.

Be sure to wax the area once you are done.

^ Yeah, exaclty what i did...

Si3
10-10-2003, 08:28 AM
any one who is rollin' completely debagged, take a pic of where the rear "H" used to be, above the license plate.

im thinking of debadging but having doubt on how that section would look.

thank -aj-

AkronSi
10-10-2003, 09:13 AM
I wish I would have taken pictures of mine when I was doing it, but I only took ones of the front.

But, you'll have a depression where the "H" was. Along with the depression, there will be two tiny wholes that are used to center the emblem. I think that my paint was sort of fugly under there too, but I don't totally remember. You will for sure have the pin holes though.