PDA

View Full Version : Newbie says Hi and has a question

nozomi
08-23-2003, 03:02 AM
Hi guys, I just bought a blue EP3 with GFX. The car is ready for pick up tmw.

Just wondering, did u guys purchase the extended warranty? cuz i don't know if that's necessary.

My buddy says don't bother since this isn't a domestic car, but still, i think asking you guy would be a wiser move:D

Espeically i read about those transmission problems found on some of the member's EP3 here. So i kinda worry about the reliability of this specific model of honda after a few years.

Thanks a lot guys!:D

87gn
08-23-2003, 03:47 AM
My buddy says don't bother since this isn't a domestic car

your buddys a dumbass for even saying a general statement like that, now go give him a swift kick in the nads so he cant bread.

i dont own a ep althow ive been thinking about buying one unless i can find me a reasionable GNX. when i do buy another new car i WILL buy the extended warranty.

SiR Medic
08-23-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by 87gn

your buddys a dumbass for even saying a general statement like that, now go give him a swift kick in the nads so he cant bread.

when i do buy another new car i WILL buy the extended warranty.

REMEMBER... This is coming from a GM owner...;)

How much is the extended warranty? If it's under $1000 it might be worth it, other than that...

Basically, is the cost of the warranty going to be more than any servicing it might require? Paying $2000 for a warranty and then using it to fix $500 worth of repairs makes no sense.

Also: Do you plan on doing any major mods to your car? If you do, forget about the extended warranty altogether. Anything you do will either void the warranty, or the dealer will probably say your mod is what caused the problem.

Extended warranties are usually just on the engine, and they have LOTS of "terms and conditions"; fine print makes it generally useless.

My general thoughts on extended warrantees in that: If the car is going to have any major defects, it will happen during the initial factory warranty... After that, use the oppurtunity to go aftermarket!

87gn
08-23-2003, 04:43 AM
REMEMBER... This is coming from a GM owner...

no, thats comen from a mechanic, and the mechanic in me hates general statements made about cars.

it just shows a problem with a persons medulla oblongata cause by being droped on the head while in the infintal stage, over exposure to vynal, and/or smokeing pot. compunded by socal disorders caused by being a poser and having a short penis or undecended testicals.;):eek: :D

Peking
08-23-2003, 06:50 AM
Welcome, and I did get the extended warranty. Not bad to have, but looking back I wish that I didn't get it.

Peking
08-23-2003, 06:51 AM
Welcome, and I did get the extended warranty. Not bad to have, but looking back I wish that I didn't get it. Only because I would have used the money for more mods.

chubbychu
08-23-2003, 09:56 AM
cant you sell the extended warranty back to the dealer?

Papa Bear
08-23-2003, 10:46 AM

no, thats comen from a mechanic, and the mechanic in me hates general statements made about cars.

it just shows a problem with a persons medulla oblongata cause by being droped on the head while in the infintal stage, over exposure to vynal, and/or smokeing pot. compunded by socal disorders caused by being a poser and having a short penis or undecended testicals.;):eek: :D

First off. Mostly all extended warranties are not worth the paper they are written on. These "warranties" are contracts that favour the manufacuter in every possible manner. You might be a mechanic, but you should take some business classes and you'd realize that after all of the components that the warranty doesn't cover and the large deductables required when something that is covered breaks, they are a waste of money. Plus if you are buying domestic, the extended warranty is three times the price of an import and then if you finance the cost for four or five years (and don't get 0% APR) the interest is another $400.00. For example, my brother purchased a Ford truck and got the extended warranty for $1600.00 Canadian and rolled it into his loan at 6.9% for 5yrs. When the initial warranty had expired, the transmission started going and he took it in. The fine print showed that he had to pay the first $500.00 deductable and the repair was $850.00. The warranty kicked in the other $350.00. He was still essentially paying for the repair and Ford still had $1250.00 of his money and Ford credit had another $400.00 from the interest!! Plus before you start critisizing people for being dropped on their head and smoking pot, you should proof read your posts. I could barely interpret what you meant. Dictionaries aren't that expensive. Disregard if English is your second language?:rolleyes:

Dunrick
08-23-2003, 11:36 AM

Dude you post whore a lot for not even owning a Ep3 - whats up lol. I read that you might be getting one. would you just drag the shit out of it like a GNX? or whatever you call those cars. Talk about the other end of the spectrum. Those are old and busted, these are new and a lot slower (in a straight line).

TezGari
08-23-2003, 12:33 PM
I got the exteneded warranty aslo...I think having a car thats worry free is ok!!! But when u get beaten because ur worry free car has no mods (void warranty) it sucks...But thats ok, im thinking about buying a project car, and just leaving my ep as everyday (itonly has tein springs).....Prob a cheap 1200 Nissan 240sx swap out a SR20DEt..etc...But i enjoy the ride, plus i go to college and i dont want a fast car on the highway, you all know, at 60miles an hour we are at about 3K rpms, more miles higger RPM's...sucks, why cant they make an gas/electric Si....j/k...lol..

Brettnyt
08-23-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick

Those are old and busted, these are new and a lot slower (in a straight line). still, may i add that the have twice the number of cylinders that we have...
:D

Dunrick
08-23-2003, 02:34 PM
actually its a turbo v6. I'm not giving the car props...I dont like them...I'm not much of a 1/4 guy, otherwise I would like it.

02SilverSiHB
08-23-2003, 03:18 PM
to answer the question that the person wanted...I would buy one. I would buy one. Why? Because the last civic I owned I had one and at about 98,000 miles my tranny was shot to hell. They replaced my tranny under the 100,000 extended warranty. Thank God I had it. Another example. At about 60,000 miles I had a hung rod bearing (that's what they told me) and it would cost over 3 grand (Honda Dealers always over price) to have it fixed, since they had to tear down the engine and replace numerous other internals. That also was covered under my extended warranty. You monthly payments won't sky rocket from the extended warranty. Mine was 800 bucks. I also get a free rental if my car is going to be in the shop more than one day. I also get the rest of the amount for my car covered if it is stolen and I owe more than it's worth. I can't see a reason not to get one.

Papa Bear
08-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
to answer the question that the person wanted...I would buy one. I would buy one. Why? Because the last civic I owned I had one and at about 98,000 miles my tranny was shot to hell. They replaced my tranny under the 100,000 extended warranty. Thank God I had it. Another example. At about 60,000 miles I had a hung rod bearing (that's what they told me) and it would cost over 3 grand (Honda Dealers always over price) to have it fixed, since they had to tear down the engine and replace numerous other internals. That also was covered under my extended warranty. You monthly payments won't sky rocket from the extended warranty. Mine was 800 bucks. I also get a free rental if my car is going to be in the shop more than one day. I also get the rest of the amount for my car covered if it is stolen and I owe more than it's worth. I can't see a reason not to get one.
Honda warranties are quite a bit cheaper than the big three and I don't think they have deductibles either. That warranty sounds a lot like an insurance policy with the loaner car etc. I don't think they offer that here in Canada. That doesn't sound too bad for $800.00 especially if you've used it twice before, although I must say you must be one in a milliion that had very serious engine and tranny problems before 100k on a civic. Did you drive it like you stole it? :D Also, it would probably be easier to sell assuming that the warranties in the U.S. are transferrable. I guess if the peace of mind is worth it, go for it. Just remember that they are a big money maker for the dealers....and there is a reason for that.

87gn
08-23-2003, 07:30 PM
First off. Mostly all extended warranties are not worth the paper they are written on. These "warranties" are contracts that favour the manufacuter in every possible manner. You might be a mechanic, but you should take some business classes and you'd realize that after all of the components that the warranty doesn't cover and the large deductables required when something that is covered breaks,
extended warrentys in the past have saved me just over 3 grand with NO deductables on one car alown, but what would I know about them, after all YOUR the expert not me

critisizing people for being dropped on their head and smoking pot, you should proof read your posts
LMFAO why are you getting so defensive about a post that was ONLY a joke. your the one that started insulting people:rolleyes: your eather the assclown that feed him the line about domestics OR your a pot head whos mother droped him. http://www.fbody.com/images/forum-faces/loser.gif

EricP3
08-23-2003, 10:02 PM
dont you love it when someone new has a reasonable question and everyone turns into an ass and starts arguing.

nozomi
08-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the advices guys, too bad by the time i gotta head to the dealer nobody has replied yet.

the final result is, I rejected the extended warranty deal 5 yr 130000KM for $500 no tax

Yes, $500 is not a lot in the long run, but then I really don't feel like getting it if my car isn't very likely to fail ( a Honda! ). Espeically I drive very conservatively. So why spend $500 if it will never be useful. Right?:o

Call me an idiot if u want, but i still got a year to change my decision, so i am not worried, yet.:D

ANYHOW...my new toy is here, I love it;) , a blast to drive, but no high rev yet.

Did u guys rev ur car before the 1st oil change?

chubbychu
08-23-2003, 11:07 PM
I did rev...but its a big humoungus no no

SiR Medic
08-24-2003, 02:46 PM

Well, this is "comen" from a PARAMEDIC...

The medulla oblongata regulates heart rate and respiratory drive... It has nothing to do with the actual thought process...

I think someone's been watching "Waterboy" too much...;) :p

blackyEP3
08-24-2003, 03:03 PM
I didn't get it.

Why?

Well, I can't remember the terms but our cars come with a 3 yr 60kms factory warrantee (from the top of my head) and the shortest extended warrantee the sale Manager was trying to pitch to me was $1000 bucks. for a 4 year. But then since 3 yrs or 60kms is already cover, I am essentially paying $1000 bucks for the extra year. I drive approx 1000 kms a month and I am a very MILD driver (I speed but I get up to the speed slowly) so I figure it won't have that much wear and tear on it. I figure if there were any MAJOR problems, it would either show up rightaway (its been 1/2 year, nothing yet) or much later (approx. 100000kms) so I may as well keep my extra $1000 in my pocket.

02SilverSiHB
08-24-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by nozomi
Thanks for the advices guys, too bad by the time i gotta head to the dealer nobody has replied yet.

the final result is, I rejected the extended warranty deal 5 yr 130000KM for $500 no tax

Yes, $500 is not a lot in the long run, but then I really don't feel like getting it if my car isn't very likely to fail ( a Honda! ). Espeically I drive very conservatively. So why spend $500 if it will never be useful. Right?:o

Call me an idiot if u want, but i still got a year to change my decision, so i am not worried, yet.:D

ANYHOW...my new toy is here, I love it;) , a blast to drive, but no high rev yet.

Did u guys rev ur car before the 1st oil change?
you're not an idiot man, just do what you want. It's all good

ep3si02
08-24-2003, 05:04 PM
post some pics of ur car with the gfx kit

87gn
08-24-2003, 07:43 PM
Well, this is "comen" from a PARAMEDIC...

sence when did they start teachen ya about the inner workings of the brain? i thaught paramedics were only there for when i fall off of shit and get mr happy stuck in things.

mr happy is a cat btw:D