PDA

View Full Version : wheel came off at 80+mph

Black 02 SI
08-23-2003, 06:28 PM
so here's the story. I was headed down 95 south with 4 other ep's on our way to the baltimore meet. everything was goin great, all of a sudden a feel a slight vibration, no biggie just thought it was the road surface. then all of a sudden it gets real bad, then bang, 30 times worse, for a split second I thought I had a blow out, when all of a sudden I see my rim and tire go bouncing past me. I'm like oh shit what do I do now. so I slowly pull the car to the side of the road, never lost control or anything(very lucky) I get out to find my car sitting on the ground with my wheel no where to be seen. everyone else stops, we go and find my wheel about 1/4 mile down the road, with only very minimal damage(I have 17's on it) luckily neither I nor my rim hit anything else, and nobody was injured. we used two of the jacks and one lug from the other 3 rims to get it back off the ground so it didn't have to be dragged up on the flat bed. had it towed to the shop, and it will be back to new this week. I will attach a pic of the visual damage, not sure if anything else is messed up under neath, it drove fine for the 15 ft after I got it off the flat bed. anyway that's my story, and it sucked major ass, but it will get fixed and maybe I will get a set of new/better rims out of the deal. thanks to everyone who helped me out, and I hope you had a fun time at the meet, wish I could have been there.

dj addicted
08-23-2003, 06:39 PM
how the hell does a wheel just pop off like that?? Did you forget the lug nuts when you put the rims on?? hehe. Glad everything is ok and noone was hurt.

Jpax
08-23-2003, 07:39 PM
#1 Who did you take your car to last that worked on your Tires if lowered who worked on it next , Who witnessed this event. I personally would like to know. because it seem like this is some thing riged, a wheel touqred to factory spec, dose not jsut fall off.

#2 Do you have aftermarket rims, what are they.

Civicvtec1ps
08-23-2003, 07:41 PM
yea he said he has 17s. im guesssing aftermarket.
damn sad story

Jpax
08-23-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
yea he said he has 17s. im guesssing aftermarket.
damn sad story

Thanks caption obvious

idrive
08-23-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE

Thanks caption obvious

HAHAHAHAHAHA
i thought my group of friends were the only ones who said that...

dj addicted
08-23-2003, 08:48 PM
I got nicknamed Capt Obvious at work because I would always make all kinds of stupid comments....

streaker666
08-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Man, that's one hell of an experience...glad you're ok tho.

Anyhow, what happened? I mean, did something break (your wheel? your lugs? etc...) Or was it some nasty prank your neighbourhood haters did to your EP? Do let us know...

Makross
08-23-2003, 09:48 PM
:eek: crazy ass story

greenguy
08-23-2003, 09:55 PM
Which wheel was it?

Civicvtec1ps
08-23-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE

Thanks caption obvious
ok sir

BSEVEER
08-23-2003, 11:16 PM
Uh, it's captiAn obvious.:D

IceD out N CALI
08-24-2003, 03:30 AM
man thats crazy. which wheel came off?

mytran80
08-24-2003, 06:49 AM
watch out !wheels coming at ya!!atleast u didnt loose control,fin out what really happen,and let us know.around here we got gangbangers loosening up lug nuts w/ a portable impact gun.:'( :'(

02TafWhtSi
08-24-2003, 06:53 AM
I'm guessing you were using the OEM lugnuts with your 17's? Thats a big no-no man. The original lugnuts have a different seat shape which an aftermarket wheel can't use. The lugs never seat properly and eventually loosen up and fall right off. Try McGard SplineDrive locking nuts. They have seat shapes that fit aftermarket wheels and will remain nice and tight :)

crex2nr
08-24-2003, 09:16 AM
sorry to hear that man, i hope everything is okay

RMC22
08-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by BSEVEER
Uh, it's captiAn obvious.:D

Actually, it's "captain."

chubbychu
08-24-2003, 04:03 PM
wow, thats insane! although kinda funny, the way you described it. sorry, i know that isnt funny. but anyways hope everything works out.

SinisterCivicSi
08-24-2003, 06:44 PM
i heard about your incident as soon as i arrived to maryland house saturday, man i am so glad your ok......i totally freaked!

i would love to see pics of that......and let us know the damage.......thank GOD your ok. oh and by the way..........

YOU ARE DA MAN!! i know my ass couldnt steer on only 1 front wheel!!

Black 02 SI
08-24-2003, 09:37 PM
alright, thanks for all the comments. I haven't been back online since it happened(been out drinkin) yeah it was some crazy shit. I will try to asnwer some of your questions. yes I had aftermarket rims, and I do all the work to my car myself, and the morning it happened I went and checked all the lugs like I do at least twice a week. so I know they were tight. I really don't know what happened but something stripped or something, I will never know. I wad damn lucky that nobody was hurt or killed it could have gotten pretty ugly. as far as handling the car, it actually wasn't that bad, I think someone at honda was using there head cause it dropped right onto a steel plate under the car and rode on that, the front bumper was not damaged, nor was any par of the engine, and I think the reason my fender got fucked up was cause the wheel hit it as it was coming off, but oh well I'm going to the shop tomorow where I left it over the weekend, to explain what I want done and everything. I will post back when I get more info on it.

cbecker333
08-25-2003, 06:49 AM
This happened to my dad once, but he was in 4-lane traffic with no divider. Now, when I go over to his place to rotate my tires, he cranks those lugs on ferociously. I used to think that I tightened my lugs pretty damn tight, but now I go as tight as possible every time. I guess its better to risk breaking a stud than loosing a rim.

Glad to hear that everything worked out OK.

Zero Three Si
08-25-2003, 08:27 AM
I would have thought you would break an axel or ruin your rotor or something.

Maybe he slopped the nuts with WD-40 and they wiggled their way loose.

BlackNRedSi
08-25-2003, 09:27 AM
Jeeez dave! I was like alittle under half a mile up the road when this happened....that was some scary sht....thank god your alright, sorry i didnt get to talk to you when it happened, i didnt want to leave my car unattended on 95 too long....

how is your friend doing?

Eric

LedFoot
08-25-2003, 10:24 AM
damn- glad to hear u're ok atleast.
that happened to a friend of mine but she was able to pull up on the side of the highway and tighten her wheels before it busted out. luckily she had spare lug nuts around. then she decided to buy Meguiar? ( i might be wrong on the brand) wheel locks - longer ones for aftermarket rims.

tony speed
08-25-2003, 01:19 PM
i just got some mcgard locks with spline drives and until i got my torque wrench and the proper tools to tighten it, i found that my locks were loosening magically. I just tightened it to 80 lb ft last night so hopefully no more...

LedFoot
08-27-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by tony speed
i just got some mcgard locks with spline drives and until i got my torque wrench and the proper tools to tighten it, i found that my locks were loosening magically. I just tightened it to 80 lb ft last night so hopefully no more...

Doh :o that's what they are.. McGards.... lol.