PDA

View Full Version : How do you check for oil?

FailureToStop
08-24-2003, 10:54 PM
I know this is kind of stupid, but I was checking my oil on the EP. I don't know if it's the brand of oil used, or what. But the color is so light that I am not sure if it has enough oil or not.

In my other car the oil was dark enough where you could discern easily that the oil level was between the two holes.

In the EP it has to glob up a bit before you notice the color. The dipstick only has a glob of oil on the tip, maybe about 1/4" from the end. But if I look at it in the light, I can tell that it is wet and about an 1/8" below the top hole (within the OK range). Wiping the rod off and reinserting it again has the same result.

I'm I OK? Or should I add more oil?

jandetuning
08-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Here's a little trick to help you:

Get some 400 grit sandpaper and sand the tip of the dipstick within the measuring area to a satin finish. It should make it much easier to read the oil level.

EP33
08-24-2003, 11:11 PM
add oil that is. Pour a LITTLE in to see if it makes a difference.

I check my oil first thing in the AM before starting the engine.

All of the oil will have drained from the dipstick.

02-sir
08-27-2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by jandetuning
Here's a little trick to help you:

Get some 400 grit sandpaper and sand the tip of the dipstick within the measuring area to a satin finish. It should make it much easier to read the oil level.

That's a great idea, thanks. I don't like the fact that the dipstick is smooth between the marks. many cars have crosshatching there to hold the oil better.

raiyo
08-27-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by EP33
add oil that is. Pour a LITTLE in to see if it makes a difference.

I check my oil first thing in the AM before starting the engine.

All of the oil will have drained from the dipstick.

Huh? Why check the oil when the engine is cold? Oil will expand when heated right, or will it not. I dunno. Your oil will be hot when the engine gets warmed up. So why check it when it is cold? Wouldn't it be more accurate when it is hot/warm?

About the 400grid sandpaper. Good idea. I'll give that a try. Goodbye to 4-5 tries till I get a good read.

RSXPUSHA
08-27-2003, 10:53 PM
Cuz homie said he couldn't see where it was on the dipstick.

But the color is so light that I am not sure if it has enough oil or not

Just pull the dipstick out and look at it. . .no wipes when checking before 1st start. Any draining or adding of oil should be done when the engine is warm, but IMO I don't think it makes that much difference.