PDA

View Full Version : mugen catback

Jbo the Great
08-25-2003, 09:55 AM
I see that king is selling a mugen catback but it says type r only.
Does anyone know How hard would it be to make it work on the si thanks

siep
08-26-2003, 03:15 PM
I've asked that question before too. I called King a couple of times to see when the US version will be released. They've said that they may not do one, probably becuase no one asks for it. Try calling them to see what they say! I'm into getting one myself, but dont' want to chop it up to fit my stock cat. :p

Civicvtec1ps
08-29-2003, 12:03 AM
kingmotor sport said it will come out for usdm ep's but who knows we just gotta wait .
:)

KeNnYtAkEr
09-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Man Mugen ain't thinking about us. Only to enhacne what they have over in japan man. Hondas giving us the left over crap and mugen ain't gonna make USD versions til 2-3years later and when it comes out it'll cost and arm and a leg anyways. just go with another company.

sorry just venting alil... but u guys know it's true.

Anj
09-04-2003, 05:51 AM
The Euro spec version of Mugen's Sports Exhaust System is now available from King Motorsports (18000-XK2-K1S0) - It has just been released (and hopefully I'll be the first in the UK to receive it!) :cool:

I know of impatient UK CTR owners who couldn't wait for the Euro spec one, and so got the JDM version (18000-XK2-K0S0) modified to fit (requires cutting & welding).

If that's the case, then it might be worth investigating whether any of these parts could be modified to fit US spec cars. Afterall, King does have a "Mugen Si" fitted with the JDM twin-loop.

Also, King are right, the more people that show interest in Mugen parts, the more likely it is that Mugen will put it's resources into R&D for you guys. So send a mail to sales@mugen-power.com or King & let them know!! :)

BlackNRedSi
09-07-2003, 12:39 PM
yeah! :( the EP aint gettin any lovin....now its if we dont have a Turbo from factory we get no love!

fuk mugen anyways man! overpriced anyways

Anj
09-08-2003, 02:34 AM
Not in my opinion. As a scientist, I appreciate Mugen's use of exotic materials, over-engineering and long research & development program regardless of whether they lose the advantage in the market place.

Remember, this is a free capitalist society, you don't have to buy it if you don't want it/can't afford it. Buy something else.

I'd rather spend "extortionate" prices on something that could justify it by way of time spent in R&D, rather than on a pair of overpriced Nike/Reebok/Prada/etc. "sneekers" that cost 20cents to make in some third-world sweat shop and then we get charged $200 for them. Now that's over priced!

As for turbos, there is a reason Honda doesn't use them - and I'm glad. :D

Jbo the Great
09-08-2003, 07:49 AM
its gettin hot in here:D

Anj
09-08-2003, 08:02 AM
:D If your gonna debate, you may as well do it with a passion!

BlackNRedSi
09-08-2003, 08:52 AM
For all you Mugen lovers...Did anyone see this on eBay?

http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_4eff170a652d6cd07d2ee8206885f2d7/i-1.JPG

looks pretty darn good of a replica, for anyone that wants that 'Mugen look'

So far only 92.00+shipping on eBay...Click here to view (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33636&item=2430850881#ebayphotohosting)

Eric

eurosteez
09-11-2003, 05:03 PM
What the hells up with that mugen exhaust loop thingy. Im assumimg more power with less noise. Is this its purpose?

Anj
09-12-2003, 01:56 AM
Your on the right track. Less noise is the main claim, without sacrificing increase in power I guess.

You have to remember that with the Type-R, no catback will give large gains in power (roughly 5 BHP is the maximum you will get), you'll have to replace the cat and the manifold (which are most restrictive parts of the system) to free up another 20BHP+

Alot of catbacks actually end up sacrificing power for looks/noise, and some of my friends have found that they've actually got less BHP on RR sessions after fitting lesser brands. Mugen quote around 5CV (5BHP) power gain for the twinloop.

Just wait for the Mugen "Power Pack" to come out soon (manifold, race cat AND ECU!!!) - that should free up alot more power... Yum :D

Gasp23
09-12-2003, 05:52 AM
I want the Mugen catback when it comes out. I think it will be the best set up IMO and I love the look. For me the Mugen exhaust is where is at.

Jbo the Great
09-12-2003, 08:04 AM
Thats what im talkin about. the guy at the shop that does my work has a mugen catback on his eg. It sounds really nice not all loude and buzzy. But I talked to them about makeing the type r one fit they said it can be done with a cut or two. So If mugen leaves us out on this one Ill just get the type r

siep
09-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Has everyone here called King to inquire when they'll be releasing one for our EP's? On their site, it says USDM version coming soon. Let's hope they get enough calls to make one!:p

BlackNRedSi
09-12-2003, 09:15 AM
I just called...

asked the guy if they were going to get them...

he said, 'I dont know, prolly not tho cause the car isnt selling that good in the state...keep your eyes on our website, it might be on there sometime'

end of convo! :(

Eric

Anj
09-13-2003, 07:51 PM
Just got this:

http://www.fromagefrais.net/access/ExhaustBoot.jpg

Got it fitted this morning, and all I can say is :eek: - fantastic piece of equipment. Amazing craftsmanship, deep booming sound (neglible in traffic, but when you VTEC.. oh man!)

Been out all day, and just got in after a night out, so will post fitted pics soon! :)

Anj
09-14-2003, 03:12 AM
More pics, Enjoy!

http://www.fromagefrais.net/access/Exhaust1.jpg

http://www.fromagefrais.net/access/Exhaust2.jpg

http://www.fromagefrais.net/access/Exhaust3.jpg

http://www.fromagefrais.net/access/Exhaust4.jpg

:cool:

Jbo the Great
09-14-2003, 12:44 PM
aww man you beat me to the punch. I probly wont pic one up till after the holiday season

Anj
09-15-2003, 03:47 AM
It's worth the wait! :)

siep
09-15-2003, 08:17 AM
I just can't see why it would take so long for a U.S. version to be made. All it needs is the correct length midpipe and how the flange is clocked and that's it. I'm sure the guys at King Motorsports have the facilities and tools to do so since they do fabrication. Just make one for us!!!:mad:

ep pilot
09-15-2003, 01:58 PM
:eek: :eek: Oh......my goodness, that is one of the most beautiful exhaust kits out for our car, I'm afrraid to ask what it cost.. I mean I am ready to shell out the booty for a Neuspeed, HKS or Greddy, possibly even the Borla.....but I think I have just blown a load over that freaking Mugen!!!!

How much!

How much!

I've got to know???

-Ryan :p :p

Anj
09-15-2003, 02:38 PM
$975 from King Motorsports. Available for JDM & Euro Civic Type-R. Will probably need modification for US models, ask King!

siep
09-15-2003, 03:01 PM
C'mon guys! We need to let King know that we need one made for our cars!!!

eurosteez
09-15-2003, 04:34 PM
Think of the price if mugen made one for the usdm ep:eek: :eek: :eek:
wella worth it tho:p Notice the gains anj?

Jbo the Great
09-15-2003, 07:17 PM
This is my first post i cant belive its gettin this much love. The mugen cat is simply the shit if it wasnt for christmas i would have it sooner. But seeing how i just droped 3 on rims, teins, hood and wing i gottta wait. Till then i guess i can keep coming back here looking at yours:D

Anj
09-16-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by eurosteez
Notice the gains anj?

Oh yes.. as far as I'm aware the exhaust is lighter than stock, and of course has power gains too... Car feels more responsive & actually very eager... A lot of it could do with that gorgeous sexy vocals my baby has now, but I will give you guys more exact info when I take it down to a rolling road after I get it Unichipped..

For real gains, you need to replace the manifold and cat with one of these babies (Mugen "Power Pack"):

http://www.boomplustoys.net/tokyoautosalon2003/images/bptautosalon0201.jpg

:eek:

siep
09-16-2003, 09:29 AM
ANJ,
Can you show a picture of where the midpipe attaches to your downpipe please?

Anj
09-16-2003, 10:48 AM
Hi,

Unfortunately these are best pictures I could get underneath the car..

http://www.fromagefrais.net/access/Imgp2089.jpg

http://www.fromagefrais.net/access/Imgp2090.jpg

Hope they are of some use. You can see the shape of the pipes from the photo on one of my previous messages where the exhaust is sitting in the boot (or "trunk" ;)) of my car :D

siep
09-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Hm, I'm wondering if the Euro spec exhaust would bolt up to a U.S. EP with a Type S motor swap?

00-ITR-373
10-19-2003, 04:42 PM
Have you guys e-mailed King yet?!
I have, they have said it's coming, we'll see.
I'm not asking people who don't want it to call or e-mail, but if you do want it, let them know!
I'd love to have it for the EP. The pics here are tough to look at knowing we don't get it!
EP seems to be strong aftermarket wise, I'm sure there are enough who would buy it.

00-ITR-373
10-23-2003, 06:16 PM
I e-mailed King asking them again. Sounded pretty positive. Maybe more support on the issue would help?!

kelphead
11-04-2003, 04:55 PM
The reason the Mugen catback will not fit the the USDM EP3 is due to the exhaust manifold. You can buy the catback and take it to a muffler shop and they should be able to make it fit.

00-ITR-373
11-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Anyone here thinking of getting the Mugen exhaust and having it modified to fit the USDM Si?

siep
11-23-2003, 09:48 AM
No way, I wouldn't want to spend that much to have it modified. I just can't see why they won't just make one already. The only difference is the length of the midpipe, how hard is it to make one? Maybe they're holding off in case the Type R does come here to the states?:p

00-ITR-373
11-23-2003, 12:53 PM
I hear you Siep, but if they don't make one, I still want it. I'm getting old I guess. I can't stand all these drony exhausts. I want the performance w/o all the noise (on the daily driver anyway). Fun car, sure a little louder is o.k. I keep holding for King to tell us they have a USDM version coming, but so far they keep giving me vauge answers. I wish I knew, yes, keep waiting, or no, they're never making one for us.