PDA

View Full Version : Jesus Christ!!!!!

SpeedRacer
08-30-2002, 10:31 PM
fuck i tried changing my oil today and it took me 4 fucking hours. Yes im not a mechanic but i know how to change oil. first of all i couldnt find the damn filter(1hr) then i couldnt get the nut off to get the oil out i had to go buy tools then finally got it off(!hr) and the worst part of all i go to auto zone by a filter remover and when i get back it sucks and it wont work so i go back and buy 3 more filter removers(im returning all of them) and none of these bastards work and this damn filter is on tighter then hell anyways after 2 hours of trying to get this damn thing off about to give up i finally get it to budge(thank goodness) and i put my mobil 1 filter on with my mobil 1 5w-30 syn. anyways this is the longest damn oil change in the history of cars.

MPgrunt81
08-30-2002, 10:35 PM
Maybe you could help the rest of us learn from your experience. Where's the filter located? What, if any, filter remover works. Tips? Tricks? Things to watch out for?

Cone Killer
08-30-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by MPgrunt81
Maybe you could help the rest of us learn from your experience. Where's the filter located? What, if any, filter remover works. Tips? Tricks? Things to watch out for?

The reason the tools won't work with the factory filter is because it's smaller than normal and just used for the breakin period.

It's located on the passenger side between the engine and the fire wall. I had to take off the passenger wheel and pull back the plastic lining to get at it.

And remember...when the tools don't work, just stick a screw driver in the filter and use that for leverage. That's what I had to do with the first filter.

1fastminivan
08-31-2002, 01:52 AM
Damn is it always going to be that tight? I didnt want to put a screwdriver in it so I waited and took it to the dealer and had them change it. I want to change the second one myself but it was hard as #@$^ and I was getting frustrated.

SpeedRacer
08-31-2002, 04:15 AM
yes i was really frustrated and so was my friend. we never took off my tire though. we finally got it to work with the ratchet tool. We used a screwdriver first then the ratchet it was a major major bitch and it is really hard to see the filter from above but if you go under the car it should not be too hard but it was a bitch to get off.

Hondatech
08-31-2002, 11:41 AM
Do *NOT* use a "regular" sized Honda blue filter (or similar sized aftermarket filter) on a K series motor!

Both the EP hatch and the new CR-Vs use a smaller diameter filter. There's a bulleten out about this. Seems that a normal sized Honda filter might, under the right circumstances, contact the right axle inner CV joint, and get a hole chewed in it. Thats why Honda has made smaller filters for K series motors. Use the bigger ones at your own risk. I'm very disappointed with any dealership that'll sell you a regular filter for a K series.

As for changing the oil, I turn the front wheels to the right, and get a big set of channel lock pilers (AKA water pump pliers) onto the filter from the passanger side to loosen it. COme at it from the side, not to bottom.

SmoothOperator
08-31-2002, 02:00 PM
Seems that a normal sized onda filter might, under the right circumstances, contact the right axle innter CV joint

I was driving home from work last night when I noticed a strange noise, as if something was rubbing against my tire.
I can hear it when I'm at about 3 or 4000 RPM...not when I'm gassing it, but when I let off the gas it makes that noise! WTF could this be???

Hondatech
08-31-2002, 02:15 PM
Got a regular sized filter on there??

Have a look around the tires and axles and see if anything is tangled up in them (I've seen everything from shopping bags to fishing nets wrapped around axles, flailing against suspension)

Don't see anything? If it continues, it's dealer time.

JSIR
08-31-2002, 02:28 PM
I bought the oil filter wrench from Honda, they raped me for it, but it is the best fitting wrench you can buy for our filters. With the wrench, I can take off the filter from above the engine bay, no need to go under the car any more. I paid a lot of money for the small tool but it is worth every penny. I also bought 3-4 aftermarket wrenches but none ever fit right. My oil changes take 5 mins or less now. On the oil drain bolt, use a longer wrench the first time to get more torque on it to loosen. yes everything from the factory was on very tight. If anyone wants a part number for the filter wrench give me a shout by e-mail, it is expensive but you'll get you money back in short order after doing a couple of oil changes yourself, but it is worth it just in saving you the aggravation. I torque my oil filters to proper tightnes, so using this wrench is the best for removal and installation.

p.s.- my dealer sold me a larger oil filter from the old b-series engines, they told me the smaller filters were only for use for the first factory fill. I told them to go screw themselves and I went to Acura and bought the smaller sized filter from the RSX. I don't believe our engines were made to work properly with a larger filter, that's just my opinion. Now we are hearing reports of ruptured filters and shit, dumb ass dealers.

greenguy
08-31-2002, 03:29 PM
Can we use factory filters with synthetics? Or do we have to get a special filter???

Hondatech
08-31-2002, 05:49 PM
Can we use factory filters with synthetics?

Yup, no problems there.

p.s.- my dealer sold me a larger oil filter from the old b-series engines, they told me the smaller filters were only for use for the first factory fill

Other D series motor'd Civics since 2001 have used the smaller filters as the factory filter. Dunno why. Everything that isn't a K series motor gets a normal sized filter for the first and every following one.

SmoothOperator
08-31-2002, 06:23 PM
Okay I checked around my tires and they're all clear. So I took er for another rip....again, same thing. I get to about 4000 rpm in 3rd, I give it gas then step off the gas pedal and let it ride....and sure enough I hear that grinding noise!!! SHIT!!
I also discovered that, while it was making the noise, it went away when I pushed in the clutch. So, it's my clutch that's making a sutble grinding noise!
I'd appreciate it, if any of you can try this ,and tell me if you hear the same thing. I'm hoping it's normal. You've gotta have the music off, and windows up to really hear it.

CgSi
08-31-2002, 06:29 PM
So are the bigger filters okay ? What am I going to get if I go to an Autozone and they look it up on their computers ???
I guess I'll be stabbing the old oil filter with a Phillips screwdriver from now on :mad:

JSIR
08-31-2002, 07:55 PM
many of the aftermarket filter makers are producing the smaller sized filters, a couple are making the larger size though, so you should be able to find a smaller one if you want it. Personally I would just get the Honda oil filter, they are pretty affordable too in the smaller size, a bit cheaper than the b-series filters.

Thanks for the info Hondatech, sounds like my dealer has their info. all mixed up though, that's why I don't take their advice all the time, good thing I don't

Hey Rob, your condition sounds real weird, never heard of anything quite like that. hmmm.

David K.
08-31-2002, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SmoothOperator

I also discovered that, while it was making the noise, it went away when I pushed in the clutch. So, it's my clutch that's making a sutble grinding noise!
QUOTE]

Mavbe it's the throwout bearing. Usually they quiet up when the clutch is engaged. Anyone know for sure? Hondatech?

Hondatech
09-01-2002, 01:04 AM
So are the bigger filters okay ?

Nope, nope, and nope. Get a proper Honda one for the K series, or an aftermarket one ONLY if it matches the K series filter dimensions.

Mavbe it's the throwout bearing. Usually they quiet up when the clutch is engaged. Anyone know for sure? Hondatech?

Yeah, that does sound throw-out bearing related, but they usually get louder as the revs go up, not in a specific RPM band. It's dealership time for sure.

Pir8pete
09-01-2002, 08:57 AM
Honda Genuine Parts - EP Oil Filter

Part Number: 15400-PLM-A02

Cone Killer
09-01-2002, 03:21 PM
I'm using the same oil filter I had on my EG, M-104 from Mobil 1, no problems!

HondaMan
09-01-2002, 04:24 PM
Glad I got JiffyLube to do it the first time. Those factory filters are always hard to get off! My FRAM (sure grip) filter should be easy to get off unless those guys at JiffyLube over torqued it. ;)

SpeedRacer
09-03-2002, 12:29 PM
i used the mobil 1 filter for the base model RSX fit great and it is the smaller size it sost a fortune though like 12 bucks that is alot for a filter but im running full synthetic mobil 1 so why not get a filter made exactly for my oil? anyways im going to make another thread talking about gas mileage but after this oil change my gas mileage has got a million times better