PDA

View Full Version : How to clear the computer

furious
08-26-2003, 12:25 PM
what can the dealers discover on the computer log besides redlining....

if such shit is on my vehicle, I would like to know if anyone of you know how to clear that shit up and whether the dealers can tell if you had cleared it up (like, does it have a time stamp and would lead them to believe that it was covered-up?).....

TrippZ
08-26-2003, 03:58 PM
they have a log of redlines? oh shit... lol

TheMutt
08-26-2003, 04:13 PM
@#$!

Tenacious G
08-26-2003, 04:23 PM
even if it did have a time stamp, i don't know how the dealer would differentiate a time where you took your car up to 6800 rpm as a time that you were racing or simply ... merging on to the highway ... had a medical emergency ... late for work, etc.

there are a million reasons why people floor it, i don't see how a dealer could prove you necessarily were racing.

Sb00
08-26-2003, 06:52 PM
as far as i know the computer takes a flash when you mis-shift and go past the rev-limter.

i've heard that the ecu will record and store the last minute of car information before the airbags deploy, which (in my way of thinking) as long as you drive your car normally before bringing it to the dealership they shouldn't be able to see any information of abuse on the car (i.e. redlining and such)

think of it this way if they were to store the number of times you redlined the car there would have to be a pretty beefy hard drive or something in the ecu to be able to store all of those flashes.

i also doubt that there is a time stamp on the flashes since what happens when you reset the ecu? you don't input the time and date again. imo they use the car milage toget an approximate date of when the event happened.

there are a million reasons why people floor it, i don't see how a dealer could prove you necessarily were racing.
the dealer wouldn't care if you were racing or not, they would look at it as abuse of the car, but hell it's soooo hard not to hit the redline :D i enjoy it wayy too much :)

***the above may not be true but as far as i know it is, anyone that knows more about it please feel free to correct me***

BlasTech
08-26-2003, 07:14 PM
Are you taking it in for a over-revving-related injury? If not, it shouldnt matter.

Bouncing off the rev-limiter isn't that bad once in a while... thats what its there for, and it does its job safely or else it would be even lower :o .... but misshifting and making it go WAY up into the 8000 zone is another story. :eek:

lastsaga
08-27-2003, 10:14 AM
i've heard that the ecu stores your rpms, gear, and speed for the lifetime of the car (or at least a significant amount of time).

if you think about it, all it's storing are numbers. probably no timestamp, but i wouldn't be surprised if it logged your last ~month or so of driving.