PDA

View Full Version : Projector install... advice needed

SF-SI-02
08-27-2003, 09:02 AM
This will sound crazy, but I want to know why this won't work. I want to an extra pair of headlights stock si. The opening for the lights to slip in is fairly small, I would like to bore it out to 3 inches, and remove the reflecting shielding which protrudes from the light. Then, considering the redunculous price of "bi-xenon h4 conversions" I would buy MBZ E36 bi-xenon projector lights, these are cheap if you know where to go. The projector is 3" on those units. To mount the projector to the bored-out si headlight unit, you first have to find or make a seal and then you can use chemical welding to put bolts where there are none, such that you can screw in the projector unit altogether. This really seems like a hit or miss, but given the prices of hid conversion, and the fact that all those that I have seen on the streets are all from glare city, I think this might me the first "reasonabley priced" projector install.

Please write back and tell me why this won't work, and what I need to be careful about. Otherwise tel me where to find stock headlihgts cheap!

1fastminivan
08-27-2003, 11:08 AM
It can be done............

I did a similar install on my 2000 civic hatch. I took my stock housings.....dremeled a hole for the BMW 5 series HID projectors to fit. I didnt completely remove the reflector part just the actual "glare shield".....the thing that sticks out to block some of the light. I left the reflector in their and placed the projector in there so I can still use the aligning mechanism. This turned out great but I lost my high beams since I only had a low beam projector.

I later bought some aftermarket dual projector housings and replaced the cheap low beam part with my HID projectors. And I had high beam halogen projectors. In your case you will have a bi xenon setup which will contain low/high beam function. I WARN you this will take alot of work. I am good friends with someone who can do this project for you very clean and nice. This is all he does is HID conversions involving replacing reflectors with projectors etc.. PM me if interested

MKD
09-21-2003, 02:44 PM
How did your lights turn out? If you are having any problems I could give you some pointers, or maybe some step by step photos. It takes me 2 days to do a set with bi-xenon with halo.I did the lights on the Polk Audio SI. I have rather high over head to deal with, that is why they are exspensive, sorry. I would be willing to send photos and help you with install tips if you need them.